14' Series Diesel heater quick disconnect for tank???

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Any good ebay chinese ones that anyone would recommend? There are some for $800 or the real thing for 2k+. Part of me is saying "Its burning diesel and your going to install it in your caravan" and the other side of me goes $1200 saving. Any brand recommendations or sellers?
Don't go Chinese.

I paid just over $1000 for the Eberspacher D2 through www.heatso.com.

For a couple of hundred difference you can get the genuine article.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I haven't come across anyone yet thats had a diesel heater fail because it was an Ebay knock off, except for the use of crappy fuel or bad fit out.
But thats a great price on that link.

Last edited:
Reactions: Duncanblake36

Duncanblake36

Nov 17, 2016
Doreen
I'm assuming they would be some sort of insulating kit.

I would love to know a good eBay seller - one that some one has used before that is good and has a good quality product.

JT76

Jan 24, 2016
Central Coast
Bought the d2 eberspacher from heatso too, came in at just under the magic $1000 so didn't have to ad gst. Been very happy with it 12 months later few winter trips where is runs all night long and even a quick trip to the. Snow in the van and was toasty.

Reactions: Ssil2000

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Bought the d2 eberspacher from heatso too, came in at just under the magic $1000 so didn't have to ad gst. Been very happy with it 12 months later few winter trips where is runs all night long and even a quick trip to the. Snow in the van and was toasty.
I got excited and ordered some extras at the time of ordering and forgot about the $1000 limit and ended up paying GST.

I still saved over $900 on local suppliers

Reactions: JT76

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
I'm assuming they would be some sort of insulating kit.

I would love to know a good eBay seller - one that some one has used before that is good and has a good quality product.
You can get the insulation on eBay.

I haven't bothered yet as the ducting doesn't seem to get so hot to cause problems

Magoo3338

Jul 11, 2019
Vic
Sorry to dig up an old thread guys. I’ve tried the quick connect way with outboard motor tank from BCF and I prime it up but as soon as I run it I get air in the line. Would the bigger hose running from the tank to the filter be an issue? It’s 5/16 hose then the hose that came with the kit from the filter?

Attachments

• E0F8DC16-B344-449D-9AC3-A367697B38E7.jpeg
    E0F8DC16-B344-449D-9AC3-A367697B38E7.jpeg
    401.9 KB · Views: 568
  • 47CCA114-0948-4DD3-BA1C-EE262F85DA93.jpeg
    47CCA114-0948-4DD3-BA1C-EE262F85DA93.jpeg
    368.3 KB · Views: 574
  • 22857B8A-FE4A-4FD4-9BA7-96068DFFA393.jpeg
    22857B8A-FE4A-4FD4-9BA7-96068DFFA393.jpeg
    251.1 KB · Views: 550

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I can see the problems, the pumps on these things are pulse pumps, they don't do lift very well, tilt your pump at about 30 deg, bum down on tank side, the larger diameter hose from tank to filter will allow the fuel to drain back as the pump can't hold it in the line and the primer will only push the air into your line, mount the tank as high or higher than the pump so gravity will keep the fuel up to the pump, it will self syphon to the pumps demand, if you used the same size line as the heater system it would work from a slightly lower level but the pump needs to be at an angle and never change the fuel line size from filter to heater..........I like the idea of the boat connection it should hold the fuel in the line when disconnected, priming with a bleed screw near filter might be the way to go to clear air... Other here that use a portable tank might be able to shine some other ideas on it.

Also check that the boat fuel tank will actually handle diesel, some don't for some reason...... I prefer the mounted tanks less mess.

Reactions: Crusty181

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Sorry to dig up an old thread guys. I’ve tried the quick connect way with outboard motor tank from BCF and I prime it up but as soon as I run it I get air in the line. Would the bigger hose running from the tank to the filter be an issue? It’s 5/16 hose then the hose that came with the kit from the filter?
There is a great 17 part (yes 17 part) series of videos on Youtube by a older dude named John McK 47 . He is ether the greatest bull$ht artist around or really knows his stuff. Its a little like a Netflix series but very much worth the watch. Channeling his info, the dose pump electromagnet piston flicks so quickly it cavitates within the pump and produces tiny bubbles. The pump needs to be angled up to stop airlocks forming and allow the bubbles to flow with the fuel into the high pressure where they are harmless to the fucntion of the system and heater . (He actually suggests mounting the pump vertical) The diesel also lubes the piston and any air bubbles will bugger the pump.

Reactions: skippy

skippy

Jun 21, 2010
Butler/Perth WA
There is a great 17 part (yes 17 part) series of videos on Youtube by a older dude named John McK 47 . He is ether the greatest bull$ht artist around or really knows his stuff. Its a little like a Netflix series but very much worth the watch. Channeling his info, the dose pump electromagnet piston flicks so quickly it cavitates within the pump and produces tiny bubbles. The pump needs to be angled up to stop airlocks forming and allow the bubbles to flow with the fuel into the high pressure where they are harmless to the fucntion of the system and heater . (He actually suggests mounting the pump vertical) The diesel also lubes the piston and any air bubbles will bugger the pump.
Just finished watching the Netflix series from John McK 47 OMG there is all you need to know about diesel heaters and more @Crusty181 I have ordered one to bench test and if it works out I will fit it to the van, see below >>
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/12V-2KW...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
17 part !!!!!!!!!!!!!! I probably don't have enough data to watch it ..............................

That must be the one a mate down south has bought, the prices have certainly dropped big time, I wonder how long they will last.................. if they really are 5kw I can see a few going dead if fitted in small vans and the setting is on low a lot.

Handy no instructions included but they are all the same to fit basically, I did notice that it burns 0.64l/hr could be a thirsty sucker in the depths of winter 640ml, so a 10 hour overnight run would use a heck of a lot out of the tank........

Last edited:

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Just finished watching the Netflix series from John McK 47 OMG there is all you need to know about diesel heaters and more @Crusty181 I have ordered one to bench test and if it works out I will fit it to the van, see below >>
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/12V-2KW-5KW-Diesel-Air-Heater-W-LCD-dynamic-Control-Motorhome-RV-Camper-Truck/254077188654?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
Your spot on being like a Netflix series. Great effort for a old dude in his back yard dressed like a road construction labourer. I suspect he may possess some more advanced qualifications than he's giving away. The only point he missed that I've found with mine was carboning plug and screen, which I suspect is from the heater running too low, too often and for too long. Once the carbon starts to build up on the screen ferocious running cant burn that off. Ive not had any carbon build up in the chamber at all. I found it very interesting that running in prime out of the box condition a diesel heater is almost 100% efficient, spewing mostly water vapour and CO2 out of the exhaust. Certainly puts to bed the often peddled story diesels heater stink and the stinky fumes get back into the van; the diesel heater stinks less than bad breath

Last edited:
Reactions: Drover

skippy

Jun 21, 2010
Butler/Perth WA
17 part !!!!!!!!!!!!!! I probably don't have enough data to watch it ..............................

That must be the one a mate down south has bought, the prices have certainly dropped big time, I wonder how long they will last.................. if they really are 5kw I can see a few going dead if fitted in small vans and the setting is on low a lot.

Handy no instructions included but they are all the same to fit basically, I did notice that it burns 0.64l/hr could be a thirsty sucker in the depths of winter 640ml, so a 10 hour overnight run would use a heck of a lot out of the tank........

@Drover Your right about the fuel consumption per hour but that’s assuming it running at full noise, hopefully once the thermostat kicks in it will improve dramatically.
The trick according to John is keep the fan at high speed and just adjust the fuel going into the machine for the heat, hence they won’t overheat / start to soot up on the inside if you keep the fan running at a reasonable speed.

Reactions: Drover