14' Series Diesel heater quick disconnect for tank???

skippy

Jun 21, 2010
Butler/Perth WA
Your spot on being like a Netflix series. Great effort for a old dude in his back yard dressed like a road construction labourer. I suspect he may possess some more advanced qualifications than he's giving away. The only point he missed that I've found with mine was carboning plug and screen, which I suspect is from the heater running too low, too often and for too long. Once the carbon starts to build up on the screen ferocious running cant burn that off. Ive not had any carbon build up in the chamber at all. I found it very interesting that running in prime out of the box condition a diesel heater is almost 100% efficient, spewing mostly water vapour and CO2 out of the exhaust. Certainly puts to bed the often peddled story diesels heater stink and the stinky fumes get back into the van; the diesel heater stinks less than bad breath
@Crusty181 Did you watch the part were he shows how to clean the screen with map gas, might be worth giving that a try if you have carbon buildup.
I see also you learnt not to run the machine at lower RPM either, that was a surprise to me to. Hows the part were he showed more CO coming out of his car than the diesel machine at fuel noise.
After watching his series I was so impressed with these little machines. How is your traveling these days?

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
@Drover Your right about the fuel consumption per hour but that’s assuming it running at full noise, hopefully once the thermostat kicks in it will improve dramatically.
The trick according to John is keep the fan at high speed and just adjust the fuel going into the machine for the heat, hence they won’t overheat / start to soot up on the inside if you keep the fan running at a reasonable speed.
I missed the screen clean, which one of the seasons is that in. I just wire brushed it and that worked fine. To extract the plug screen I ground a framing nail to a flat and then bend the end just enough to make a hook small enough so it would fit inside the screen to the bottom to hook under its edge and pulled it out. Its the only way to get it out in tact, and avoid buying a new one every time you inspect or want to clean it.
The experiment he did with the gap in the gasket was worrying. I rang a well established van repairer near me before I stripped my heater to ensure he had parts in case I needed any after the heater was in 100 pieces. He said after servicing a million (possibly exaggerated) heater he said I could salvage the fan gasket if Im careful but the burner camber gasket will absolutely guaranteed be gone, they never survive. He was spot on, that gasket was brittle like chalk and cracked through in 5 places, so the significance of those rubber seals is very very important. Not detracting from John in any way but its a point John missed, likely only because that would take a lot of practical service experience on abused real world heaters gather over a long time to know that every single gasket will fail. Ive managed to source a metal gasket, which in the heater now so Ill see how that goes over time.
I leave my heater on 24/7 when we are away in those cooler months where the days are comfortable (no heating req) but overnight its very cold. Eberspacher's controller and ECU is very good at silently and automatically controlling the heater, start/stop and maintaining the temp. The heater turns itself on and off, so as the sun starts to drop and the temps slowly fall with it, the heater silently cranks itself up very gently. Because it starts with minimal ambient temp difference it runs at a very low idle speed quiet often and for long periods, the claimed perfect combo for gumming up the heater. Its mostly only ever playing catch up on a degree or 2 from the minute is cranks up; we rarely if ever hear the heater because its always on low right from the time it turns itself on. My heaters plug and plug screen has carboned up twice (not particularly badly, but enough for the heater to start smoking at start up), which I suspect is a result on its constant low starts and low idling, but after 5 years the burn camber has only a micro black film much like a smoke stain but certainly no soot buildup. Maybe the Eberspacher's controller is better at managing the heater, and that is only measurable over time. Maybe only a very long term side by side real comparison would be a true comparison btw Chinese and genuine.

Partly because it makes sense after 5 years of consistent and virtually trouble free use in less than ideal conditions, and partly searching for validation after spending a $hit ton of money on Eberspacher ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
My mate the Victorian Eskimo, has informed me he has his diesel heater fitted, cost more than the heater to get it fitted, a truly genuine knock off chinese copy that set him back $185 delivered, with all the bits and bobs, I'm waiting for his report to arrive on its operation, he hits the road in a week to continue an aborted attempt to head North earlier in the year, this time he reckons he won't freeze, I have advised him to carry his genny and 240v heater..............

If a sudden explosion rumbles in the Murray River district or southern NSW in a week or so you will know his heater has failed ........................ I'm looking forward to checking it out when he wanders here for his maintenance period.......

Reactions: Crusty181

skippy

Jun 21, 2010
Butler/Perth WA
I missed the screen clean, which one of the seasons is that in. I just wire brushed it and that worked fine. To extract the plug screen I ground a framing nail to a flat and then bend the end just enough to make a hook small enough so it would fit inside the screen to the bottom to hook under its edge and pulled it out. Its the only way to get it out in tact, and avoid buying a new one every time you inspect or want to clean it.
The experiment he did with the gap in the gasket was worrying. I rang a well established van repairer near me before I stripped my heater to ensure he had parts in case I needed any after the heater was in 100 pieces. He said after servicing a million (possibly exaggerated) heater he said I could salvage the fan gasket if Im careful but the burner camber gasket will absolutely guaranteed be gone, they never survive. He was spot on, that gasket was brittle like chalk and cracked through in 5 places, so the significance of those rubber seals is very very important. Not detracting from John in any way but its a point John missed, likely only because that would take a lot of practical service experience on abused real world heaters gather over a long time to know that every single gasket will fail. Ive managed to source a metal gasket, which in the heater now so Ill see how that goes over time.
I leave my heater on 24/7 when we are away in those cooler months where the days are comfortable (no heating req) but overnight its very cold. Eberspacher's controller and ECU is very good at silently and automatically controlling the heater, start/stop and maintaining the temp. The heater turns itself on and off, so as the sun starts to drop and the temps slowly fall with it, the heater silently cranks itself up very gently. Because it starts with minimal ambient temp difference it runs at a very low idle speed quiet often and for long periods, the claimed perfect combo for gumming up the heater. Its mostly only ever playing catch up on a degree or 2 from the minute is cranks up; we rarely if ever hear the heater because its always on low right from the time it turns itself on. My heaters plug and plug screen has carboned up twice (not particularly badly, but enough for the heater to start smoking at start up), which I suspect is a result on its constant low starts and low idling, but after 5 years the burn camber has only a micro black film much like a smoke stain but certainly no soot buildup. Maybe the Eberspacher's controller is better at managing the heater, and that is only measurable over time. Maybe only a very long term side by side real comparison would be a true comparison btw Chinese and genuine.

Partly because it makes sense after 5 years of consistent and virtually trouble free use in less than ideal conditions, and partly searching for validation after spending a $hit ton of money on Eberspacher ;)

To remove the screen once the glow plug has been removed. John used 8mm coach screw x 70mm long from the big green shed and it worked treat, about 20c...bargain! Mind you your nail would be cheaper again.

As for the gaskets he also recommended that you service it ever 12 months, so if you manage to get five years that’s awesome and maybe the genuine Eberspatcher has even better quality gaskets in the heating chamber. I know I will be changing mine ever year from now on after watching his DVD’s.

John also mentions that just before you turn the machine into shut down mode, if you can run it flat out for 15 minutes and that will dramatically lesson the chances of getting the carbon build up in the burning chamber.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
To remove the screen once the glow plug has been removed. John used 8mm coach screw x 70mm long from the big green shed and it worked treat, about 20c...bargain! Mind you your nail would be cheaper again.

As for the gaskets he also recommended that you service it ever 12 months, so if you manage to get five years that’s awesome and maybe the genuine Eberspatcher has even better quality gaskets in the heating chamber. I know I will be changing mine ever year from now on after watching his DVD’s.

John also mentions that just before you turn the machine into shut down mode, if you can run it flat out for 15 minutes and that will dramatically lesson the chances of getting the carbon build up in the burning chamber.
I have the 8mm coach screw in the tool box now :)

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I'm not pulling mine apart till it needs it I think, start at full noise and turn off at full noise should keep it clean, just like a stationery engine should do it...... I can see many non spanner sensitives, making a big mess of things.....and I don't want to join them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Johnanbev

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Are the gaskets normal manifold type metal and compression material of very slim design.

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
I used the standard pickup that came with the tank and got some fuel line from an auto parts place and connected it to the pump inlet.

Everything else was the standard setup that came with the heater