Dave's 2013 17.56-2 OB

DaveR

Mar 13, 2017
Gold Coast
Now for some feed back on the fridge.
It was a warm day when I put it in, as it had been upright for a day following my lying it on the side to get it in, I turned it on when I finished the install.
The dial was set to the middle of the range.
Sitting in the van, I can hear it running, just. It is very smooth and quiet. When running the most amps I noticed was 6, that seems to be the first 30 seconds or so, then it drops to 5. Start up I am not sure, the 15 amp fuse is working well.
The fans for the cavity, from the inside I can't hear them running.
Outside below the awning, I can hear the compressor but it is just a very slight noise, the most notable sound is the pair of fans the air movement.
The fridge temps, 30 mins after it was turned on for the 1st time on a hot day, it was ready for us to load up the cold stuff out of the kitchen fridge. Some time with in the first 90 mins, the water in the ice tray was frozen.
It has been running for 2 days now and is very quiet, looks good, the internal light is nice, and the security latch is sturdy alright, these fridges are designed for boats.
Overall, I'm impressed, I think it is better then my old trailblazer I sold with the camper trailer. although I wouldn't let one bounce around in the ute.

Tricky

Nov 10, 2012
Eltham Victoria
Welcome DaveR,

Love to see all the mods you are making. Particularly the photos. Very inspiration!

Good luck with the new van.

Cheers

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Anderson plug....what colour is it?

ESC is usually fitted with a red Anderson so you'll need to get a red and match that on the car.

The grey on the car is usually for power from the car to the van for charging battery and /or the fridge.

Easiest solution, and to keep it consistent, is to replace the grey with a red on the car. Auto electricians or Jaycar or similar have them.

That's if it's a red Anderson!

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
The dummy run hook up didn't, I now have learned there are different types of anderson plugs and these don't fit together. The Vans ESC plug wont fit the new one fitted to the car, it is a different shape and it is only a small difference with the center peg. As I can't see what type it is, this morning I'll need to go get another one and change it out on the van.

Hi @DaveR,

Anderson plugs come in as many as six different colors, each color is keyed differently so one cannot accidentally or intentionally connect plugs of two different colors.

There are also matching end-caps and surface mount adapters. Grey is very common, and red and black are also easily found.

http://www.4wdadventurers.com/showthread.php?568-DIY-Guide-to-Anderson-Plugs

If you search around on eBay, you will find 50A Anderson plugs with different size terminals to suit different diameter wires. If you are lucky you can get grey ones in Australia for a little over $1 each.

I don't trust crimping, especially in wet environments, so I solder all electrical connections in my car and van.

cheers
Mike

Last edited:
Reactions: bigcol

DaveR

Mar 13, 2017
Gold Coast
It took me a while, and better specs to see through, but I found the plug on the trailer side was damaged.
Not having the time before going away for evilbay orders and freight, I went with what I can get local.
Got it sorted now. Just using the red covers as the ident for the ESC.
But
Now I have a new issue to deal with. It seems the power supply to the ESC is via the 8g twin pair, but it is also connected to the black aux wire in the draw bar section of the lume.
I'll be needing to separate this as in the Tug the black lead is used for reverse lights which I need on my other trailer, and will eventually fit to the van.
Because of the reverse connection in the tug, when i powered the ESC up, my reverse lights and camera came on. :)
How much fun is this.
It is an easy fix I hope, just follow the lume in the draw bar and sort it out.
I never solder joints, 30 years on the tools in mining and marine tells me to not solder joints in vibration movement situation, if a crimp does not hold, it was not made correctly. I have a hydraulic crimp tool for up to size 32, then I heat shrink or scotch tape it.

DaveR

Mar 13, 2017
Gold Coast
The hardest part is trying to decide where to place everything, better half thought she had the kitchen sorted till I screwed her plans by banning heavy items from the draw that opens across the vehicle.
Looks good for me to be ready for Wednesday when i leave, first 2 nights will be just me in the van, 2 days of peace and quiet on the road.

DaveR

Mar 13, 2017
Gold Coast
Last min addition, mean I can keep the Fluids up when setting up camps....

33537116242_830f75e96d_b.jpg

We're loaded, ready for me to roll on my pat malone in the morning for 2 days of quiet.
I'm impressed with how much gear we have got loaded, 2 weeks on the road, wet and cold weather gear all fits in.
Looking forward to it.

DaveR

Mar 13, 2017
Gold Coast
So far so good, we're very happy with the van, it suits our needs very well.
I even went off road with it so see how well i could get into a few tight spots and awkward creek crossings etc. Needless to say I'm happy.
Here it is in a very nice free camp ground to the east of Wangaratta. Owens River J5 Streamside reserve, River rd, Milawa.

32957279613_48234b9c69_b.jpg

Now waiting near the Melbourne Airport. Yep, I made it through the pick up area unscathed..... In friday arvo rush time. :)

33641087261_a0e0f4dd25_b.jpg

Now setup in the big4, Ballarat, near Sovereign Hill.

33729477046_78127408be_b.jpg
Everything is working well and the fridge is something I am most impressed with, I found the sweet spot on the dial, and been happy with it since.

Now I am planning the next mods that I need, could even be a trip to the local green shed in the morning for towel rails... Get it done before moving on.

Has anyone got info about the support members in the ceiling space, the reason is I am wondering about a towel rail mounted to the underside adjacent to the shower space.

DaveR

Mar 13, 2017
Gold Coast
I had the trip to the green shed, but not what I was wanting.
We had one of those "how much do I love my kids" moments with the toilet and it being flooded.... I'll leave it there.
In the clean up I discovered the sealing around the wet areas had come away, to off to get some sicaflex this morning and give it a new round of sealant.
Hope we can use the toilet tomorrow night, its not curing very fast in this cold temp.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
I had the trip to the green shed, but not what I was wanting.
We had one of those "how much do I love my kids" moments with the toilet and it being flooded.... I'll leave it there.
In the clean up I discovered the sealing around the wet areas had come away, to off to get some sicaflex this morning and give it a new round of sealant.
Hope we can use the toilet tomorrow night, its not curing very fast in this cold temp.

Can't really like this post dave? 8-) Just watch the sika as good as it is I found on our expanda it yellowed around the bathroom. I found bostich V16 better at staying white.

1DayIll

Apr 26, 2016
South Morang, Victoria
I read these posts with envy, both because you are on the road and also because i wish i had the know how to make mods to my caravan as required.

well done on what you are doing!

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I read these posts with envy, both because you are on the road and also because i wish i had the know how to make mods to my caravan as required.

well done on what you are doing!

all in good time mate, all in good time

I'm the worlds worst "handiman"...... ask @dagree - hamfisted and impatient

but I try, little by little gaining a better understanding that Rome wasn't Built in a day

Reactions: dagree and Dobbie

DaveR

Mar 13, 2017
Gold Coast
I can see a need to do the job again when I get home as I didn't have the gear needed to prepare the surfaces before applying the sealant. I'll be using something different then sica, will check the bostich out.

Dont worry about it 1dayill, (love the name by the way), 1 day, you'll get it sorted.... :)

Reactions: bigcol and dagree

DaveR

Mar 13, 2017
Gold Coast
Our trip is going very well, even added a towel rail yesterday, and 2 more will go up today.
Gave my old Tug a good test run..... she did well.
33733668141_b8db33010f_b.jpg