Old & Moved Custom Rear Bars - Spare Wheel Carier - EXPRESSIONS OF INTERST

zerosecta

Sep 27, 2011
Melbourne
Custom Heavy Duty Rear Bars - Spare Wheel Carier

Hi Folks,

After having a fairly good run with the Stone Guards I was Fabricating, I have decided to Have a run at making some custom XHD Read Bars for Spare Wheel Relocation or even just to replace the nancy tubular bar for extra Protection

The Bar's will be provided in raw Blue Painted Steel Format apart from having Primer applied to the welds and Black Plastic Knock in End Caps for all open ends. - You can then opted to Spray it (as I've Done), get it powder coated or even galvanized to match the draw bar.

You will also obviously need to drill a couple of holes to bolt it on -I find the best option is mounting it on top as I've done (requires a few good clamps to get into position then drill and bolt)

Victorian Members - welcome to pick-up from Point cook
Victorian and Interstate Members welcome to arrange collection from my place, again in Point cook. I now also have a Fabricator who will Build to my (your) specs in Brisbane.. so no need for postage if you willing to pick up from there.

Here are some pics of what I've done so far - If you are looking for something similar and want to discuss your requirements and get a quote Please send me a PM to Zerosecta@hotmail.com

IMG_0237.JPG IMG_0238.JPG IMG_0234.JPG
IMG_0235.JPG IMG_0233.JPG

IMG_0262.JPGIMG_0258.JPG

7575 1.jpgrear bar hitch 2.jpgrear bar hitch 4.jpgrear bar hitch 5.jpgrear bar hitch 6.jpg

Reactions: Huey

zerosecta

Sep 27, 2011
Melbourne
Forgot to mention - You will also have to relocate your Plate - Couple of self tapping screws onto the right side of the bar should do it :)

Reactions: Huey

kolega

Jan 16, 2012
I LIke it, can you tell me what size and thicknes material is being used for teh Bumber and for the supporting arms, is it 2mm or 3mm thickness?

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Nice job, good value too I think you'll go hard to better $500 from a commercial supplier?

Reds

Oct 31, 2011
Berwick Vic
Hi Zerosecta

Looks really good, just wondering how far the angled bar and wheel protrudes from the rear of the van from the photos it looks about 300mm would I be right. I have tight fit in the garage.

Regards
Red

zerosecta

Sep 27, 2011
Melbourne
Hi Red,

From back of van to the rear of tyre is 410mm
From back of van to rear of bar is 300mm

Note with the hinge i have used, for the purpose of storage in a garage where the extra 10cm of the wheel is an issue you can simply remove the whole spare wheel mount with wheel attached, simply by removing the pin that holds the wheel and mount in the place, swing it down and just before it get to the point that the bottom of the tyre rests against the bottom of the bar, you simply slide it to the left and it comes off the bar. Hope this makes sense.

Cheers,

zerosecta

Sep 27, 2011
Melbourne
Hi Red,

From back of van to the rear of tyre is 410mm
From back of van to rear of bar is 300mm

Note with the hinge i have used, for the purpose of storage in a garage where the extra 10cm of the wheel is an issue you can simply remove the whole spare wheel mount with wheel attached, simply by removing the pin that holds the wheel and mount in the place, swing it down and just before it get to the point that the bottom of the tyre rests against the bottom of the bar, you simply slide it to the left and it comes off the bar. Hope this makes sense.

IMG_0226.JPG IMG_0227.JPG

Cheers,

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Hey Zero if you move the number plate you are going o have to provide another number plate light too?

Jan 5, 2012
Sunbury
Nice zerosecta

My questions are:
1. Will one fit a 14.44.5?
2. How much more does it weigh compared to the factory rear bar?

Cheers and lovely work

zerosecta

Sep 27, 2011
Melbourne
Hey Zero if you move the number plate you are going o have to provide another number plate light too?

Hi Jim, yes I suppose you are right. Personally we don't generally drive around in the dark with the van so I'm not going to worry about this but for anyone wanting to do it. It is relativeley easy and I can provide instructions if needed.

zerosecta

Sep 27, 2011
Melbourne
Nice zerosecta
My questions are:
1. Will one fit a 14.44.5?
2. How much more does it weigh compared to the factory rear bar?
Cheers and lovely work

Hi Mate,
1. Don't know 100% but on Jayco site all expandas are the same width so one can assume that it will be fine. If you could measure the lenth from left to right of the inside edges of the chassis at the back of the van where the bar will got, then I will weld the two support bars accordingly.
2. Don't have a way to properly way it but if you go from the weight per meter specs of the steel used then my bar (with out wheel on) is about 28kg. I imagine the original bar probably weighs somewhere between 10 or 15 kilos

Regards

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
Thanks Matty - Good to Know

Still want one?
Yep...still interested.
Just gotta work out what size front box and how/where to re-locate the gas regulator and bottle holder to.

Also need to know how much of an effect (if any) adding 50odd kg onto rear of van will affect it.

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
Again, just for comparison.
The straight rear bar (pictured above) weighs in at 27.5kg.
In effect you'll be adding 19kg for the bar and the spare wheel weighs 26kg (16" version).

So an overall increase of 45kg to the rear, but only a 19kg reduction in your payload allowance.

zerosecta

Sep 27, 2011
Melbourne
Great to know Matty, Thanks Wish I had some sort of scale to way the effect on the tow ball cause thats the real question I guess.

How did you go will installation btw, no drama I hope.