Could a Toyota man drive... an AUDI Q7?

acmackie

Apr 19, 2012
Glenmore Park
Hi Pete. I owned MY09 Q7 and loved it. Power and economy with the 3l TDI is great. I travelled most of my km out your way but lived on the edge of Sydney. I sold mine to a guy in Forbes when I moved to China. I will get another when I move back to Australia. There are things to watch out for.
1) Tyre wear. In the city plenty of people get only 25000km from a $3000 set. I had Cooper on mine and did over 50000 but you need to rotate often.
2) Brake rotars are not cheap and can need replacing often if doing city driving.
3) Audi services are expensive. Expect at least $1000 every 15000km. Unless you're happy with non Audi service then it might be about $400. But you need the Audi computer to reset the service warning buzzer that will go off each time you turn it on if not reset.
4) Insurance is not so cheap...and a roo can do plenty of damage.

In my opinion they are great vehicle but you need to be aware of downside.

Last edited:
Reactions: blacky

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
My van comes in at 2431kg. Plus or minus a few little extras, a 15l bottle of drinking water, a carton of beer, chairs, table, bedding, tv, food, clothes, extra solar panel, emergency tool kit, fishing gear, hoses and leads.... uh oh....

Plus i want to fit a bike rack, carry a 2kva genny, an annex, two jerry cans and my 038 stihl. See my problem?
If your ATM is 2431 then that is all your van should weigh loaded, otherwise you may have insurance problems in the event of an accident, and legal issues if you get pulled onto a weigh bridge. Just something to think about.

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
My two cents worth...
Value for money tow rig that is nice around town....
Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD Laredo. Add aftermarket leather, Quadralift and the Offroad Adventure pack and you've got a great towing platform that will come in around $65k with 12 pin plugs, brake controller and towbar etc. And a very capable 4WD. I don't think the Limited is worth it as you have to add all that to a car that is about $10k more. (The nappa leather was about $3k which eats into this price differential).
Only seats 5 though and that may be the issue.
I've had a good first 6 months with mine. Can't complain and I have to say I love driving it. The air suspension is useful hooking up and it lowers for better handling on the freeway or when I put it into sport mode. 570NM of torque is fabulous and the 8 speed tranny excellent.
Cheers
Andrew

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
as per normal Peter, it all depends on how much coin you want to spend
and
how long you intend on keeping it.
3yrs ago, I went to update my GQ patrol for a NEW GU price not a worry - meeh - was not impressed with the 3L, it only has a 3t towing in the manual, or 2.5t in the auto.
went backwards in years to get my '99/2000 GU with the 4.2l - 3.5t towing, all day every day
I knew I would be updating my Flamingo to an Expanda sooner or later, which meant I would be putting more stuff in to tow around.
I had seen a few of the 3l towing massive vans only just under their limit, and was not impressed.

so yeah, I went with my old rule or "find what you want - then go backwards in years to get it at your price" - and there was NO WAY I was going to pay the stupid money they ask for a 2005/2006 4.2

so, depending on how much you want to spend
Cruiser - very costly to keep on the road
Nissan - meeh on the 3L but they work
Disco - nuff said, wouldn't have one myself (even given to me)
Rangie - very expensive on the fuel but fit the bill

my humble opinion

cheers

Reactions: hamish22 and blacky

blacky

Sep 17, 2013
Townsville QLD
Hi Pete. I owned MY09 Q7 and loved it. Power and economy with the 3l TDI is great. I travelled most of my km out your way but lived on the edge of Sydney. I sold mine to a guy in Forbes when I moved to China. I will get another when I move back to Australia. There are things to watch out for.
1) Tyre wear. In the city plenty of people get only 25000km from a $3000 set. I had Cooper on mine and did over 50000 but you need to rotate often.
2) Brake rotars are not cheap and can need replacing often if doing city driving.
3) Audi services are expensive. Expect at least $1000 every 15000km. Unless you're happy with non Audi service then it might be about $400. But you need the Audi computer to reset the service warning buzzer that will go off each time you turn it on if not reset.
4) Insurance is not so cheap...and a roo can do plenty of damage.

In my opinion they are great vehicle but you need to be aware of downside.

Great to hear some real experience there mate! Bloody legend :)

I would have to be mad not to look at the Isuzu MU-X i suppose, i hadnt even heard of them. Obviously their answer to the colorado 7 eh? Not bad.. I had an 08 rodeo - the very last dual cab black LT in Australia, and damn i was dissapointed. Lemon. I'd always be a bit hesitant to go back to GM/Isuzu after that experience

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Peter why is it you won't consider a LC 200?

The 200 is expensive but I think in some ways we get blindsided by the Toyota badge ? It's easy to say I won't spend $80+ k on a LC. But these things aren't anything like the 70 series utes, or the 60, or 80 series, they are way ahead of the 100s as well . I tell people the 200 is the best "CAR" I have had to date, and that's what their like a car.

Only been offroad a couple of times but there ability there is fantastic and towing the 2 tonne van is just a doodle. Over taking is done as if you are solo, just allowing for a little more room to come back in.

I loved the Pajero and I had it really well setup as some may remember, and jumping up to the 200 I anguished a lot as above. But boy they are that damn good and they may not be refined as much as the Audi, VW or a Disco but there not far short for my use and they offer benefits of lots of dealers, tonnes of aftermarket bits and lots of knowledge about them.

Reactions: Ligedy and blacky

blacky

Sep 17, 2013
Townsville QLD
@achjimmy i have a v8 cruiser as my work ute; and theres a whole heap of them getting around out here. I've heard loads of people complaining about engine problems, my ute burns oil like its going out of fashion, it goes well but (not sure about the LC200 transmission) it needs about 3000rpm to breech 100km/hr, and as such is even more thirsty than my petrol prado.. i love toyotas but that engine scares me off a bit? How has yours been?

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
10k so far so good. Hardly used a bit of oil, far less than my Pajero did. I think modern diesels are so temperamental with oils, there was no rhyme or reason to when the Paj used oil other than different places serviced it.
The oil consumption nightmares seem to be over for the Toyotas, the other thing is the twin turbo motor has a heap more tow than the single turbo in the ute.

The 200 has the problem with gearing, you have to trick it to get sixth under 110-120. But once you get it your doing 1600rpm @ 110kph you have to turn off stereo and crack the window to hear the engine.

blacky

Sep 17, 2013
Townsville QLD
hmm thats interesting with the gears, thank god they've got 6 of em. The ute definately misses that extra cog. Its a 2012 model and chews 5l of engine oil between 5000k services....

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
mmmmm, as an EX Toyota man myself, the stories I have heard about the 200 do not inspire me greatly

excessive oil, a bit like - "fill the oil and check the diesel will ya?"
expensive injectors and injector pump - mate just did his - $7500 for the pump and $2K each for the injectors - 140000kms it had done

but yes, you can overtake anything even when towing - plenty of grunt, thats for sure

I will stick to my V8 petrol 100 series for around town, and my 4.2TDi GU for towing and camping

cheers

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
If your going for an Audi you better pack a lighter cos when your out the back of oonagoowabi and you break down there wont be anybody around that could fix it or have parts !!!!!!
Stick to what you know works Pete ....
Plenty of VW dealers around:). My father in law has a Skoda and the engine has Audi markings on it.