Could a Toyota man drive... an AUDI Q7?

blacky

Sep 17, 2013
Townsville QLD
Hi all,

I can't believe i'm saying this; being a devout Toyota man.. but anyway, i'm looking at trading the Prado in for something with a bit better towing capacity, as there is no room for comfort towing the 17.56-2OB with weights.

I've been looking online at Audi's Q7 SUV, with 3l diesel engine, 7 seats and 3500kg towing capacity. They can be pretty bloody pricey by the look of it, but not too much more than a cruiser with bells n whistles. The cruiser is a no-no from me, i have one as my work ute, and verrrrrrrrry dissapointed. I prefer to drive my hilux than my cruiser. Anyhow, whats your thoughts people?

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
whats the price difference between the Q7 and the VW Toureg?
I think they are the same (similar) platform. but probably less than the Q7

cheers

Reactions: blacky

hamish22

May 12, 2013
West of Newcastle
www.grmotorsport.com.au
My opinion - you buy and drive what you believe is right for you.

All makes and models have their ups and downs.

I had the dollars to buy a near new turbo diesel 4wd tug but chose to buy a very low km petrol 100 series Landcruiser for less.
It suited our needs more than the others plus the live front axle!8-)

Reactions: cruza driver

BUSH PALACE

Sep 4, 2011
LOBETHAL S.A
If your going for an Audi you better pack a lighter cos when your out the back of oonagoowabi and you break down there wont be anybody around that could fix it or have parts !!!!!!
Stick to what you know works Pete ....

blacky

Sep 17, 2013
Townsville QLD
cracka its only just under 2.5t, i wouldnt mind betting if i put it on the weighbridge she'd roll over that mark pretty quick.. :ambivalence:

The Touareg hadnt even crossed my mind, though i dont think it has third row seating option. With 3 kids and 1 on the way, we need space. MOWF wanted a Jeep Grand Cherokee but the same problem; only 5 seats.

And yea you've definately got a good point @BUSH PALACE , not to mention part availabilities.. i just don't know what to do!

I wish Toyota would offer some sort of ATM increase upgrade pack, strengthening or modification to give that bit extra. Just to go to 3t would be nice. My dads 4x2 single cab chassis BT50 can tow the same as my prado for christs sake!

blacky

Sep 17, 2013
Townsville QLD
haha i wonder what the towing capacity of the camaro is? after all, i guess i could just buy another car for MOWF to drive the kids around in.. and i could get there before her in the camaro, to set up camp ya know?

blacky

Sep 17, 2013
Townsville QLD
Besides it wouldnt be very manly, would it? Bloke like me driving an Audi... i usually chuckle at a sight like that!

pomtony

Oct 30, 2013
What is the ATM on the van?? As long as it is under 2.5t you are fine with the Prado.
as you say sir, if the ATM is under 2500 then its fine on the prado, we have a 17.56-2ob with an ATM of 2373, and its rides well on the Prado.
bear in mind, you could be on shaky ground insurance wise by going over ATM
cheers
tony

blacky

Sep 17, 2013
Townsville QLD
My van comes in at 2431kg. Plus or minus a few little extras, a 15l bottle of drinking water, a carton of beer, chairs, table, bedding, tv, food, clothes, extra solar panel, emergency tool kit, fishing gear, hoses and leads.... uh oh....

Plus i want to fit a bike rack, carry a 2kva genny, an annex, two jerry cans and my 038 stihl. See my problem?

pomtony

Oct 30, 2013
well if thats the ATM of your van, then thats the limit, suggest you load up and drag it to a weighbridge to know for sure.
on a lighter note, you can ditch the water, food, clothes, chairs, tv, as you have beer (use box as chair),
fishing rod (catch meals),
beer (dont need water)
you have 1 set clothes, any more is a waste of beer space,
fishing rod and beer (dont need tv)
cheers
tony

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
I've heard only good things from two people with the Audi, but I wouldn't want to own it too long outta warranty.

On the towing limits, tbh I think Toyota is one of the only responsible manufacturers. What's with the towing capacity of some of the dual cabs, look at the Colorado and Isuzu their barely vamped up much from my old 99 rodeo (chassis etc) and they have nearly doubled the tow capacity! 3500kg yeah right.

Reactions: blacky and hamish22

blacky

Sep 17, 2013
Townsville QLD
Now we're talking @pomtony!

Yea i think you wouldnt want to own one 10 years down the track when things start playing up.. especially not the 6L V12 one! It does seem responsible i guess, but its frustrating. Go buy a colorado 7 for half the price of a toyota and i'm sorted :tape2:

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
Toyota, Nissan and LandRover are the only 3 that work on the SWL of 2/3 before Mechanical breakdown

the rest of them seem to be 3.5T,
but they remind me of an over head crane I used to use, it was 5T - (SWL2/3 Mech breakage, it would and did pickup 7T frequently) so they upgraded it to a new one.
still had 5T, but it wouldn't move at 5.1T, which gave me a huge confidence boost, knowing that sooner or later it would break and land on me

as Jimmy said - how something that has NOT changed much in design is now more than capable has me shaking my head.

cheers

Reactions: blacky