14' Series Chasing the dream - 14.44.4

Stan Lee

Aug 29, 2012
rAdelaide
www.expandasdownunder.com
hi guys,

i'm hoping no one minds me posting this ...

just joined so have been 'hooked' on these forums ... i'm a whisker of purchasing a 14.44.4 ... tormented between choosing the 16.49 and the 17.56's but together with the much better half we have decided on the 14.44.4 for value for money, ease of towing, storage at home etc ....

so before I head in to order one I guess i'd better throw out the question if anyone out there is offloading one?? and if not what are some of the tricks i should be weary off when i head into the dealer?? I'm in Adelaide if that helps !!

enjoy reading the posts and look forward to any replies :) :pray2:

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Welcome Stan. You will be happy with the 14'. I think your best bet for a good deal is to know what options you want and then get prices from a number of dealers both local and interstate, (Melbourne seems to be a good place for a good deal). A lot of forum members have done very well as I sure you will find out.

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
I agree with Chartrock. Dont bother talking to a dealer seriously until you know exactly what you want (including all extras) then ask them for an inclusive price. I found some dealers that didn't want to know, but others who were very competitive. I'm guessing you'll save heaps on freight if you buy and pickup from Melbourne.

gavin.davis59

Mar 21, 2011
Naracoorte.SA
Hi Stan,We too are 14.44.4 people from SA,We got Ours from Jayco Geelong(far better deal than South Oz).We got a better deal by ordering while at the Melbourne Caravan and Camping Show.It may pay to make a trip over the border,by chance ther is a show coming up in the first week of October at Sandown Racecourse.Good luck with "the search".

jdove

Aug 23, 2011
Sunshine Coast Qld
Hi Stan.
Like chartrock said,shop around and work out any extra's you may want. I have a 14.44.4 due in about 4 weeks and I saved a fair bit by shopping around (I'm in Qld so things are a bit more expensive than down your way)Get any extra things you want factory fitted as I have found it cheaper, for example 2nd water tank $200 factory fitted compared to around$500/$550if you want one retofitted later,wind up tv arial is about $350 cheaper also, My brother in law who got the same van 10 month's before me has just found out the hard way as we talk about our vans and he is kicking himself now he did'nt get things fitted when getting built.
On my member intro you can see a list of common things people have fitted,I copied other members idea's plus added a few of my own.
Good luck

Stan Lee

Aug 29, 2012
rAdelaide
Hi I'm Stan and i'm addicted !!

once you start on this forum you can't stop! ... Taking all your advice on board i've researched a couple of the other members pages and cross referenced what they have ordered and that of the 'extra options' on the jayco website. May i put up my wish list.

Just as a reminder, I'm looking at purchasing the 14.44.4 and i'm looking at towing it with a 2009 VE Hold Commodore wagon. I have highlighted my 'questionable' items, which i'm hoping that you guys maybe able to provide me with some info and if I have missed something please sing out !! :)

sorry to be a nuisance but i've enjoyed reading everyone's ideas and hoping to get 'exactly' what i want. The list is as follows;

1 Simplicity Independent Suspension (rated @ 2000kg with 12" brakes) ??
2 Extended drawbar (by 300mm) ??
3 150L fridge y
4 Cafe dinette seating (same as 16.49.1b - allowing increased room to get out of the bedend) y
5 Bed converter for dinette seating y
6 Extra double power point under dinette seating y
7 Roof Aircon. - Reverse cycle - is there a myth that the pop ups shouldn't have roof mounted aircon ie stuffing up struts etc?? ???
8 Cabinet of standard wall mounted aircon to be replaced by overhead cabinet (depending on results of re roof mounted aircon) ???
9 Control panel (if i'm going to be living in caravan parks will this matter??) ???
10 22L Hot water system with external shower ???
11 Dual water tanks (2 x 82L) ???
12 Dual gas ( 2 x 9kg) Bottles moved forward, giving 500mm clearance from van to allow for full width tool box ???

13 Roll out awning y
14 Full annex y
15 Extra annexe room. ( adding 2m to the annexe, to allow storage of things like bikes on rainy days/ or an extra play area for kids. ???
16 Centre rafters for awning ( for those windy days) ???

17 Privacy screens and Weather proof screens to both bed ends y
18 Treg coupling (i'm towing with a 2009 VE Holden Wagon - is it necessary??) ???
19 Extra external 12v plug y
20 Extra external TV point (external ??? Any suggestions???) ???
21 Stereo/MP3/CD system with 2 internal/2 external speakers y
22 Extra external 3 annexe lights (2 @ front making it 3 in total and 1 @ rear above external shower) ???
23 2 External large foldout tables (allowing for decals to be placed right from factory) ???

24 2 gas bayonetts ( front/rear to move bbq according to wind direction) y
25 bike rack / rear bumper bar y
25 wardrobe / cabinet to have removeable shelves fitted ????

thanks again and looking forward to your feedback
ps i apologise if i don't make much sense (due to the time!)

:decision:

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Hi Stan,

You don't say whether you are getting outback or not! In my opinion simplicity suspension and treg would be an overkill if towing with a commodore, although you might be thinking of upgrading to a 4b later? Allot of members have roof top a/c on their pop tops and doesn't seem to be an issue. The control panel might be a good idea as you might decide to free camp later on and they are not expensive to factory fit, and if this is the case maybe think about battery option.

Other than that you seem to have a good list of extras. My opinion only on the above.....each to their own I guess! Cheers mate and good luck with your decisions! :)

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
:welcome: to the forum Stan, half the fun is working out what extras you need.

As others have mentioned shop around there is some great deals to be had.

BUSH PALACE

Sep 4, 2011
LOBETHAL S.A
Strewth Stan thats a helluva list youll be overweight by the time all thats fitted !!! ONLY JOKN ..get what you can from the factory and strike up a deal with em . If your not travelling out bush /offroad id hold back on the suspension and hitch that money could be used elswhere like on your first trip ...thats my thought any way .

Russell
p.s welcome to EXPANDA LAND youll have a ball

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
Hi Stan,

You don't say whether you are getting outback or not! In my opinion simplicity suspension and treg would be an overkill if towing with a commodore, although you might be thinking of upgrading to a 4b later? Allot of members have roof top a/c on their pop tops and doesn't seem to be an issue. The control panel might be a good idea as you might decide to free camp later on and they are not expensive to factory fit, and if this is the case maybe think about battery option.

Other than that you seem to have a good list of extras. My opinion only on the above.....each to their own I guess! Cheers mate and good luck with your decisions! :)

I agree with all this.
Ultimately your usage will dictate what options are necessary and what options are "nice to have".
Lots of free camping would dictate extra water, HWS, solar, batteries, toolbox storage etc.
All caravan parks not so much of an importance.

Cheers,
Matty

PS. Can I please please please have a signed copy of issue no. 1 of Spiderman?????:hail::bolt:

Stan Lee

Aug 29, 2012
rAdelaide
thanks guys.

yeah sorry i'm not going the OB version .... so i'm cool re the hitch thingy magigy :) I'm confident i'll be hitting more of the caravan parks as opposed to free camping!

:)

cheers again oh .... re the spiderman copy Matty :) hahahaa

leesy

Jul 26, 2012
Lysterfield
For what its worth, I would suggest the AC and the HWS and exterior shower, i think they are well worth having and are desired if you sell the van

Stan Lee

Aug 29, 2012
rAdelaide
Cheers Paul

i was actually just reading through one of your comments on other pages regarding waterproofing of the bed ends to prevent the mattresses getting damp ... how have u gone with it and what set up are you running at the moment??

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
PS. Can I please please please have a signed copy of issue no. 1 of Spiderman?????:hail::bolt:[/QUOTE

I got a 2.5 x 1.5 metre Spiderman Marvel promotional picture with spicy flying thru the air on web on offer.can send thru pic if interested.cheers.