Interior Carpet what have you used?

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
Hi Guys,

Yes I looked around about what Carpet people have used wanted to check how is it going now?
I know it says no rubber backed what did you use did you have any problems? Seems must is rubber backed :)

What did you use:
Carpet squares?
Off cut from home/office?
Did you cut one big piece or many so it could easily be removed and cleaned?

Yes also looking at Gas or Diesel heater although we probably do both :)

Reactions: Bluey
May 23, 2016
Melbourne
Hi davemc.

I don't know why they stipulate that you can't use rubber backed carpets which are so practical for removing and hosing down esp after a bush camp. We weren't aware of this until we recently started looking at new vans and saw the sign posted just inside the door of a van. We have always used rubber backed carpet and/or mats in our vans to protect the vinyl and we liked the feel of it underfoot esp when it was chilly.

For our last Expanda we bought abt 4 mtrs of rubber backed carpet from Bunnings (sold by the metre) and cut the carpet to fit the exact floor plan using a paper template first. It worked really well as it covered the whole floor area and there were no curly edges to trip on. When we were away in the van without power and it needed a bit of a clean, we'd simply take it outside, give it a good whack and put it back. When we got home we used to give it a vac and a guerny and voila it came up like new! After a couple of years however, the rubber backing deteriorated leaving it's residue on the van floor and we chucked it out.
We will prob still do the same sort of thing for our new Starcraft which is coming in Sept.

Bunnings also sell Matpro Esteem mats that are rubber backed and sided with a low profile ribbed carpet. They come in various sizes and can be used indoors and outdoors. We use them at home and also in our vans over the years and they are incredibly durable and can be hosed down but can't be cut down to size. A 40cm x 70cm Matpro Esteem mat from Bunnings is $16.50. The 60cm x 90cm is $33.20 and the 80cm x120cm is $60.90.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rockape and davemc

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
We did the Bunnings tiles in the expanda they are a hard type backing not soft rubber but they are heavy little suckers. They have a short pile and are easy to sweep. Once a year I would pull them out and pressure wash them clean. Not sure what I'm doing in the Starcraft yet I'm still undecided???

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I think they were either 300x300 or 500x500

no sticking, just lots of patience cutting to get them to fit

IMAG0473.jpg

IMAG0475.jpg

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
Reactions: davemc

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Thanks guys..... Another possible mod coming up ;)
Thought about doing the carpet install a while back but put it on hold for a while at the request of SWMBO'd as she reckoned we don't need it.

One question. I do realise it'll help with warmth in winter but what's it like in warmer weather with cooling/insulation ?
@bigcol If we get to Dwellingup next month expect Mrs Dagree to check yours out (Carpet that is :bowl: )

Reactions: bigcol