Interior Carpet what have you used?

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
So the carpet I was thinking of if I did not go tiles does not seem to be at Bunnings anymore they replaced it with Black and Dark Grey :(
I bookmarked the thread where Jimmy used it
http://www.expandasdownunder.com/threads/starcraft-17-58-3-mk11.5928/page-4

Problem with the 22.68 is I cannot see a nice clean line of 50cm tiles front to back :(
If i run it across where the dinette is it will need to be cut either side where the bunks are its 5cm out to line up. so I have 5 and 15 either side.
If I run it from the bunks it needs to be cut for the dinette and kitchen side so 20 and 5.

How well do you see the tiles or they sit well and you do not see the join
Unless I go 60 or 100 cm tiles?
daves2268.jpg

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I would start at the door way, with 1 tile in the middle and work from that

there will be a lot of cutting unfortunately,

but at least when you open the door to walk in, it will be symmetrical

buy a pack, and try it to see, the smaller packs may "fit" easier, but will be a lot more to lay, and the possibility of them not "looking" right

Reactions: Rockape and davemc

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
I would start at the door way, with 1 tile in the middle and work from that

there will be a lot of cutting unfortunately,

but at least when you open the door to walk in, it will be symmetrical

buy a pack, and try it to see, the smaller packs may "fit" easier, but will be a lot more to lay, and the possibility of them not "looking" right
looking around locally to see if anyone has any bigger then 50x50 in stock and not top $
Rather a lighter colour where everything large is grey or black.
50cm will be a lot of 5 or 15 cm's cuts.. 100cm work out more less joins more waste :(

One thing Tiles have compared to the marine carpet it will stay down without tape.
The marine carpet I would have to tape around the edges to get it to sit.

Reactions: bigcol

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
Bet you can't complete it without at least one swear word.

:ambivalence:

and thats just getting everything together to start the Job........................

where the F............. is that gone now...........
what the F................. did I do with...............
Sara, can you take these kids to the Park..............................................................................................

:becky::becky::becky::becky:

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
and thats just getting everything together to start the Job........................

where the F............. is that gone now...........
what the F................. did I do with...............
Sara, can you take these kids to the Park..............................................................................................

:becky::becky::becky::becky:
More likely "Sara, can you finish fitting the carpet while I take the kids to the park..............." :behindsofa:

Wanda

Jun 22, 2013
Adelaide
We planning to do the carpet this weekend weather permitting.. looks like two pieces will be needed.
@Wanda did you need to put down some double sided tape around the door?

We did but put some on one of the joins, sticking it to the back of the 2 carpet pieces we wanted to join (not double sided, so not sticking to the floor). It didn't stick very well and we have never bothered to replace it as it stays in place anyway. The other joins just lay flat. At the door Mr W put a metal strip.

IMG_0266.JPG IMG_0268.JPG
Please excuse the mud, last weekend involved motorbikes, rain and fun!!

Attachments

• IMG_0222 (2).JPG
    IMG_0222 (2).JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 211
Last edited:

Pauly

Aug 25, 2013
Got some raider marine carpet yesterday to cover the floor . Same as the carpet in the door step well. So will have to get cracking on that soon.
Good luck with yours on the weekend @davemc !

Reactions: davemc and bigcol

Herbertclan

Mar 6, 2016
Perth
Looks good everyone!

The commissioner has approved carpet to be installed in our new van..... So it will start to happen over the week end possibly (after the kids sports of course). We are going to go the carpet squares like some have done, apparently feels nicer under foot according to the Boss. Looks like a fiddley job but I'm up for a little Tetris, for the gents that used the carpet squares, what did you use to cut them?? Stanley trimmer, gardening secateurs, big scissors???

Ps, nice bike Wanda.... WR450???

Cheers Max,

Reactions: bigcol

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
what did you use to cut them?? Stanley trimmer, gardening secateurs, big scissors???

I used a 12" steel ruler as a straight edge and a Stanley knife (Olfa Knife) on a flat piece of wood as a cutting board
also used a very fine point Sharpie to mark with

olfa knife.jpg

sharpie-markers-9.gif

please be very very careful with the Knife - they are very very sharp

and very easy to make easy jobs painful and dangerous