17' Series Caravan servicing

AAJB

Jun 3, 2012
Cranbourne nth Victoria
Just wanting to know if you think $325 dollars for the first service is a bit rich. I work for a car dealership and the first service is free not saying it should be free but just wondering what the rest of you think.

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Oh yeeh, I think the first service SHOULD BE FREE too. At 1000km the van is still new. What do they actually do anyway?

AAJB

Jun 3, 2012
Cranbourne nth Victoria
relgate your right it is $225 for the first service and the second service is $325 just checked the hand over sheet be interested what other members are paying around the country.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
$325 does sound rich, I doubt wether they even change wheel bearings...probably just check and adjust brakes, but it's one of those necessary evils if you want to keep warranty. A free first service would be a sweetener though!

acmackie

Apr 19, 2012
Glenmore Park
Could be wrong, but mine is booked into Jayco Sydney and I think it is only $180. And I didnt even buy my van from them.

leesy

Jul 26, 2012
Lysterfield
i had mine done today and they do all the checks ect as well as take out the wheel bearings and check and re pack them, i was quoted $195 at Page bros in Melb

acmackie

Apr 19, 2012
Glenmore Park
Mine has just been serviced by Jayco Sydney for $180. However they forgot to clip the roof down and I found out the hard way at 100km/h when a friendly tradie pointed out the roof had opened up on the front drivers side corner. Anyway no damage that I can see, and very apologetic service manager who promised to fix anything if needed.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Being a bit blunt, why would you get you van serviced by a dealership? when i picked up mine new the hitch was loose. My father inlaw paid 3 times to get brakes adjusted at a dealership only to find when i sent him to a mechanic that they were fitted incorrectly. The Service manager i know at a major jayco dealership got there through being the spares manager! Has anybody every asked a dealership if there service guys have a mechanical ticket? because i suspect there is no qualification required!!! i usually do my own brakes and bearings but last time (old van) i ran out of time and had a mechanical workshop do them, stripped and inspected bearings, regreased bearings and shackles and adjusted brakes, welded my jockey wheel brakect all for a $180, and i know it was done because i work in the office above him and he showed me the bearings so i could record the numbers.

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
I remember a few years back when my father had a sterling. He took it in for the first service and warranty. The service guy came out and quoted him on the service. To which Dad replied "if you think I am going to pay for you to do not much more than grease a few nipples then you can forget it. I am here for warranty work. Fix that and do nothing else. I am not paying a cent"
He got away with it.

leesy

Jul 26, 2012
Lysterfield
I remember a few years back when my father had a sterling. He took it in for the first service and warranty. The service guy came out and quoted him on the service. To which Dad replied "if you think I am going to pay for you to do not much more than grease a few nipples then you can forget it. I am here for warranty work. Fix that and do nothing else. I am not paying a cent"
He got away with it.
I was told at Jayco that if you did not do the first service you would void your warranty, they said its satted in the booklet? i cant check it as the books in the van at Page Bros but i will ask them to show me when i pick up and if they cant we will be having a very difficult conversation......:director:

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
that is an incorrect statement.
It the line used by car manufacturers too.

As long as a service is completed to the specifications of the handbook or service book by qualified persons then the obligations have been met and a warranty can not be voided. (Unfortunately, now some manufacturers don't readily give out the service requirements so you don't know what has to be done)

RAC.com.au said:
he information below on New Vehicle Warranties is extracted from the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) Consumer Express publication, April 2005, Issue 1445-9671.

New vehicle warranty
Where a problem arises with the vehicle that is covered under the warranty, the vehicle should be taken to the dealer for repair. Those repairs should be done for free of charge under the warranty.

New and used vehicle servicing
In relation to general servicing, motor vehicle dealers are entitled to insist that any servicing performed on cars they sell is carried out by qualified staff, according to the manufacturer’s specifications, and using genuine or appropriate quality parts where required. Provided these conditions are met, regardless of where you choose to get your car serviced, your warranty will remain intact. So shop around.

Qualified staff
Qualified staff is a party or parties, other than an ‘authorised dealer’, who is capable of performing car servicing. Some servicing venues display qualification certificates, but if you’re not sure the staff are qualified, just ask.

Manufacturer’s specifications
If an independent agent implies that it can perform general car servicing to manufacturers’ specifications and does not perform that function satisfactorily, then you have rights and remedies against the agent regardless of whether the agent has factory qualifications or not.

Genuine or appropriate quality parts
The issue here is not who manufactured the part/s, it is whether the part/s are fit or appropriate for the purpose intended. If a part is non-genuine, but is interchangeable with the genuine part, it could be seen as being fit or appropriate for the purpose and would therefore not void the manufacturer’s warranty. However, it must also be noted that should the part/s installed fail or not perform satisfactorily, the consumer then has rights against the fitter and/or manufacturer of those replacement parts. If the non-genuine part fails, and causes some other damage to the vehicle, the dealer and vehicle manufacturer will not be liable for damage caused by the failure of that part.
You don't need to have a car serviced at a dealership to maintain your new car warranty.

jdove

Aug 23, 2011
Sunshine Coast Qld
Some dealers will try and scare you into getting service work done by them. I am a trade qualified motor mechanic and have lost count of the engines,gearbox's,4wd front and rear axle assemblys I have rebuit and also have fitted or repaired just about every other part of a vehicle. And yet my local caravan repair centre tried to tell me I was not qualified to service my last Jayco Dove camper.I was in buying some parts and mentioned to them that I had just replaced the XYZ china bearing company wheel bearings with quality Timken bearings and they said I would void my warrenty for the whole van.I asked them to show me their staff trade papers (they could'nt find them) So as other members have said dont be bullied into paying dealer prices as long as the work is done by person with sound mechanical ability that is ok.