18' Series Camper trailer to 18.57.6 2010 OB Expanda

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
Hi Holden_man ,
Your pics are awesome, you look after the van and car very very well everything is so clean. I just had a look at our pics from our last camp, but no photos of the van unfortunately. I will try and get some before we head off. The van is stored at a mates at the moment as we are limited for room at home.

I like the idea of wrapping the water pipes etc underneath the van with hot water insulation, that would provide good protection when off-road I'm sure.

We are investigating a blog site while we are away too so we can share our adventure, so would be happy to keep your therapy up while we are away. Is it easy to setup and put photos on??

Cheers.
We're stuck for room as well, ours is jammed in the front yard...can't see the house now.
We did a central Aust. Trip where we pulled the panda from Coober Pedy to Williams Creek and then down the Oodnadatta Track. The insulation worked a treat, no stone damage at all, which might have been just good luck....but I like to think it was my forward planning... :)
The first couple pages of this report shows some of our prep we did...
http://www.expandasdownunder.com/threads/hms-central-australia-trip.3136/

Not much of a blog expert I'm afraid, think there are better program's around than the one I used.

Look forward to following your trip and adventures.....

4WALLS

May 7, 2014
Central Coast NSW
Thanks @Holden_man for your thread through Central Aust. Your photos and report were great and everyone who followed the thread loved it too. I will try to take as many photos to put on when we travel too.

Glad to hear the 18.57.6 went well. We have the simplicity suspension so hoping that will also provide a smoother ride over any of the corrugated roads. Not sure if you have this and your thoughts? I like your protecting of the water pipes underneath and will do the same.

Putting on an extra 2 solar panels this weekend to ramp up the capacity to 4 x 80watt panels. So there will be no problems with free camping most of the time. Only issue will be to minimise the girls using the shower and using up our water supply. We only have 2 tanks.

Cheers.

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
Thanks @Holden_man for your thread through Central Aust. Your photos and report were great and everyone who followed the thread loved it too. I will try to take as many photos to put on when we travel too.

Glad to hear the 18.57.6 went well. We have the simplicity suspension so hoping that will also provide a smoother ride over any of the corrugated roads. Not sure if you have this and your thoughts? I like your protecting of the water pipes underneath and will do the same.

Putting on an extra 2 solar panels this weekend to ramp up the capacity to 4 x 80watt panels. So there will be no problems with free camping most of the time. Only issue will be to minimise the girls using the shower and using up our water supply. We only have 2 tanks.

Cheers.

We don't have simplicity, but wanted it, unfortunately it would have added to much weight which would have meant the Prado couldn't tow it. So out went the Simplicity option.... :(
The guys on here that do have simplicity, love it! Sure you will also.

I grabbed the insulation from Bunnings, grabbed some with a smaller ID, and some with a Larger ID, to cover some of the larger pipes. used the Larger ID to fold over the exposed ends of the water tanks where the plastic fittings protrude. Used a bit of duct tape, but cable ties were much easier.

Extra solar definitely helps, we have a single 150w panel, been thinking of replacing with a 250-300w. I have a single 100A/hr battery would like a second.

We have the same 2 water tanks (160l) and agree, need to watch the showers. My boys thought we were still home in brisbane, and had long showers until I realised, too late by then, all the water was out on the ground...

One trick I picked up when away in the van recently free camping, was getting a 20l plastic Jerry can for water, which you can use to grab water in places, then I use a camping shower pump, drop it in the jerry can, and pump into the van tanks.
Now have 2 of them, for the Cameron Corner trip in September and probably carry in the Prado.

Last edited: