Bushie's New Shak (SOLD)

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
That is a seriously impressive looking van mate:clap2:

How is the Paj going with towing the bigger van (handling it with ease is my guess).

Yep dragging it around OK, once moving doesn't feel much different, just got to remember it is bigger, will have to watch the weights a bit though.
Interesting though I drained the front tank the other week only to find both had drained o_O. Seems that if the main pump line valves is open (one on each tank) it will drain the other tank as well, which it shouldn't do (the expanda didn't) especially as it has to suck it back uphill to do so, so to drain the tanks I have to make sure the pump line taps are closed. also the breather lines aren't plumbed back to the fill point even though there is a fitting at the fill point', The breathers just hang out the top of the tank.
Also at the moment. it suffering with Pajero rear door syndrome, can't open the rear door when hitched, which I knew would happen with this van as the hitch is on top A-frame unlike the Expanda, also the WDH is set higher, there is however a mod to be done that takes care of this. issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: cruza driver

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Just noticed some very minor hail damaged to the front of the van from the storm we got the other day:(

Oh well, that's what happen when you cant keep it under cover. and yet to have a van cover for it, not that a standard cover will protect it very much.

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW
Yep dragging it around OK, once moving doesn't feel much different, just got to remember it is bigger, will have to watch the weights a bit though.
Interesting though I drained the front tank the other week only to find both had drained o_O. Seems that if the main pump line valves is open (one on each tank) it will drain the other tank as well, which it shouldn't do (the expanda didn't) especially as it has to suck it back uphill to do so, so to drain the tanks I have to make sure the pump line taps are closed. also the breather lines aren't plumbed back to the fill point even though there is a fitting at the fill point', The breathers just hang out the top of the tank.
Also at the moment. it suffering with Pajero rear door syndrome, can't open the rear door when hitched, which I knew would happen with this van as the hitch is on top A-frame unlike the Expanda, also the WDH is set higher, there is however a mod to be done that takes care of this. issue.
About the spare clearance issue, I suggest a look at the McHitch as it sits a lot lower than a standard hitch and is fitted as standard on Kedron's basically because it works well as a hitch. Also Mitsubishi has a lift kit for the spare, I have the lift kit on my spare, it does give some height, but not a lot. I got it fitted at purchase, I think it is about $150 for the the kit.
Regards
Terry

Reactions: Bushman

Bonners

Jan 24, 2013
wollondilly nsw
Just noticed some very minor hail damaged to the front of the van from the storm we got the other day:(

Oh well, that's what happen when you cant keep it under cover. and yet to have a van cover for it, not that a standard cover will protect it very much.
me too, found a single ding on one of the cars

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
About the spare clearance issue, I suggest a look at the McHitch as it sits a lot lower than a standard hitch and is fitted as standard on Kedron's basically because it works well as a hitch. Also Mitsubishi has a lift kit for the spare, I have the lift kit on my spare, it does give some height, but not a lot. I got it fitted at purchase, I think it is about $150 for the the kit.
Regards
Terry
Hi Terry,

Funny you mention the McHitch, that's one option I've been looking into, even rang them today with a few enquiries, tells me that any of the van/Pajero set ups they have done has worked very well, there can be issues with the A-frame hanging bracket for the WDH needing to be moved further forward as the crossbar brace/jockey wheel mounts are in the way, but I'll check the measurements he gave me. There's also an option of modifying the standard hitch loop handle, which I have the parts to do and is a cheaper option (maybe not the best) but it works.

I have the spare wheel lift kit as I was aware of the issues at time of purchase, and got the dealer to chuck it in as part of the tow package, as I said with both my Swan camper and the Expanda it wasn't an issue due to the low mount hitch on the Outback models, I wanted the new van built with a low mount hitch but was told the wouldn't do it with the standard chassis. only the 6'' chassis o_O

Good bunch of blokes up there at Kedron, have spoken with Glen on many occasion both in person and via email, sadly for the second year running they wont be attending Rosehill Show. Actually saw a Pajero hitched to a dual axle Kedron down at Wollongong the other week, though didn't get a chance to talked to him, not sure how they get away with that it was the XC3 that is meant to be PJ/Prado friendly depends on weight/ options fitted I guess, because any I've seen advertised or on their site has been well over. :focus:

Reactions: yabbietol

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW
Hi Terry,

Funny you mention the McHitch, that's one option I've been looking into, even rang them today with a few enquiries, tells me that any of the van/Pajero set ups they have done has worked very well, there can be issues with the A-frame hanging bracket for the WDH needing to be moved further forward as the crossbar brace/jockey wheel mounts are in the way, but I'll check the measurements he gave me. There's also an option of modifying the standard hitch loop handle, which I have the parts to do and is a cheaper option (maybe not the best) but it works.

I have the spare wheel lift kit as I was aware of the issues at time of purchase, and got the dealer to chuck it in as part of the tow package, as I said with both my Swan camper and the Expanda it wasn't an issue due to the low mount hitch on the Outback models, I wanted the new van built with a low mount hitch but was told the wouldn't do it with the standard chassis. only the 6'' chassis o_O

Good bunch of blokes up there at Kedron, have spoken with Glen on many occasion both in person and via email, sadly for the second year running they wont be attending Rosehill Show. Actually saw a Pajero hitched to a dual axle Kedron down at Wollongong the other week, though didn't get a chance to talked to him, not sure how they get away with that it was the XC3 that is meant to be PJ/Prado friendly depends on weight/ options fitted I guess, because any I've seen advertised or on their site has been well over. :focus:

I agree about the lift kit, I also got mine as part of the tow package, but every little bit of lift (spare) helps.
I have also spoken to Joe when I was going to get a Jayco (and fit a McHitch) and he was really helpful. You always have the option of going to his factory at Lithgow, if like us you are not too far away. He will fit his hitch at the factory for modest fee and it is a good way to sort out any problems, he also now makes "sliders" for WDH to make them work with his hitch.
Off topic continued:
The dual axel Kedron XC3 is just legal for Prado and Pajero to tow, but has some serious issues with limiting pay load. I have been told most dual axel XC3 owners end up getting a tow that can handle 3000kg to give themselves a larger payload allowance. Both the 14' and 16' single axels, have an ATM of 2500kg with a tare of about 1850Kg and 2000Kg (depending on options) respectively. So a payload of 650kg to 500Kg is quite reasonable. We are not locked into the 14' and are still considering the 16' and do not have to make a final decision till mid May, the 16' costs a bit more, but has more space and is still towable by our NW Pajero.

Reactions: Bushman

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
I agree about the lift kit, I also got mine as part of the tow package, but every little bit of lift (spare) helps.
I have also spoken to Joe when I was going to get a Jayco (and fit a McHitch) and he was really helpful. You always have the option of going to his factory at Lithgow, if like us you are not too far away. He will fit his hitch at the factory for modest fee and it is a good way to sort out any problems, he also now makes "sliders" for WDH to make them work with his hitch.
Off topic continued:
The dual axel Kedron XC3 is just legal for Prado and Pajero to tow, but has some serious issues with limiting pay load. I have been told most dual axel XC3 owners end up getting a tow that can handle 3000kg to give themselves a larger payload allowance. Both the 14' and 16' single axels, have an ATM of 2500kg with a tare of about 1850Kg and 2000Kg (depending on options) respectively. So a payload of 650kg to 500Kg is quite reasonable. We are not locked into the 14' and are still considering the 16' and do not have to make a final decision till mid May, the 16' costs a bit more, but has more space and is still towable by our NW Pajero.

Yep Joe was very helpful over the phone, saw they were at Lithgow he said not a problem if we wanted to come up he would fit it up and sort it out, he mentioned the sliders be interested to see how that works. Sadly the Compact K is a little small for our needs at the moment, not to mention budget, looking forward to seeing yours when it arrives.

Even our new beastie was marketed as PJ/Prado friendly with a 2100 tare and 400kg load which isn't much for a van that big when my Panda had 375kg load on single axle. Well! it certainly isn't Prado friendly as they wacked a 600kg load on it taking it to a 2700 ATM, still making it legal for the PJ we just have to watch the loading keeping it at the 2500 otherwise we're screwed with ball weight.

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Hey @Bushman hope that hail damage wasn't too bad. I drove through a storm near yours the other day and got caught in the hail storm on Picton Road, it was a pretty scary drive!

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Hey @Bushman hope that hail damage wasn't too bad. I drove through a storm near yours the other day and got caught in the hail storm on Picton Road, it was a pretty scary drive!

Nah very minor, infact I only noticed it because the sun was shining on the angle late in the afternoon otherwise you can't see it , it was only small hail here so shows how soft the Aluminium is on front of the van, the PJ was parked in front of it side on and not a mark on it.

Last edited:

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Mate that hail storm whacked the mountains, we got two cars hit (1 uninsured :( )

Anyway I really like the mchitch the only thing that has deterred me is we stopped at the entrance and the only way in to the site was with there tractor, and he only had a ball! Then it got me thinking about needing another tow hitch for other trailers etc etc

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Parked up at Gundagai over Easter
2015-04-03 16.14.06.jpg

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Mate that hail storm whacked the mountains, we got two cars hit (1 uninsured :( )

Anyway I really like the mchitch the only thing that has deterred me is we stopped at the entrance and the only way in to the site was with there tractor, and he only had a ball! Then it got me thinking about needing another tow hitch for other trailers etc etc

You must have been at Dunleith Tourist Park, he's got that Tractor thing down to a fine art, especially on those water front sites, he had adaptors for different hitchs when we were there, was a while ago but doubt the had one for the Mchitch.

I have 2 hitchs anyway, 1 standard and the WDH. so other trailers wouldn't be a problem

Last edited:

Bonners

Jan 24, 2013
wollondilly nsw
Fitted the big beasts new cover today while a mate was over, just avoided the afternoon storm

View attachment 31823
Hi Bushie, what brand of cover? we went away for ten days in school hols, upto Armidale and then to Dorrigo, did the waterfall Way, and the rainforest at Dorrigo, and day trips to Belligen and Coffs. Plenty of backpackers in area, (some noisy grubs in Dorrigo and Belligen).

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Hi Bushie, what brand of cover? we went away for ten days in school hols, upto Armidale and then to Dorrigo, did the waterfall Way, and the rainforest at Dorrigo, and day trips to Belligen and Coffs. Plenty of backpackers in area, (some noisy grubs in Dorrigo and Belligen).

Hi Geoff
It's an ADCO Cover, imported from the USA by Coast to Coast RV and sold through most of their retailers.