Burnsie's Unexpected 17.56-2 Outback

Base23

Jan 17, 2016
Adelaide
So installed the second battery, went with the "under seat" location so I don't loose any additional storage as I lost a cupboard to the washing machine. Install was straight forward, used some washes and screws to hold down the battery box then sat the battery in. probably need to clean up the wires a little as the connections now are quite short between the batteries as I made sure the + & - of the connections were on opposite batteries, used 2 B&S cable between them it is bloody thick stuff, connected it all up and hopefully should now have double the capacity for the trip.

Will test out the ball weight once my adaptor for the tow ball scale arrives to see how much it has added.

View attachment 40697 View attachment 40698 View attachment 40700
looks great and looks like it all fits well.
Can I ask what model number of Bosch battery you used and how much you paid?

burnsie

Jan 29, 2015
Perth
www.expandasdownunder.com
Can I ask what model number of Bosch battery you used and how much you paid?

Hey @Base23 we matched up the battery to the original one installed by the factory it is a Bosch BG12-100. Had a bit of trouble finding it so went through Caravanland here in Perth who ordered it direct from Bosch. Cost was a little more than others available @ $350 but wanted to make sure the batteries were the same specs etc.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
So installed the second battery, went with the "under seat" location so I don't loose any additional storage as I lost a cupboard to the washing machine. Install was straight forward, used some washes and screws to hold down the battery box then sat the battery in. probably need to clean up the wires a little as the connections now are quite short between the batteries as I made sure the + & - of the connections were on opposite batteries, used 2 B&S cable between them it is bloody thick stuff, connected it all up and hopefully should now have double the capacity for the trip.

Will test out the ball weight once my adaptor for the tow ball scale arrives to see how much it has added.

View attachment 40697 View attachment 40698 View attachment 40700

being pedantic (as I am want to do occasionally) but

did you solder or solder and crimp those lugs onto the cable...................

Reactions: burnsie and dagree

burnsie

Jan 29, 2015
Perth
being pedantic (as I am want to do occasionally) but

did you solder or solder and crimp those lugs onto the cable...................

Funny enough the lugs themselves only just fit the cable in, so by the time I crimped them there was no need for solder and I couldn't fit any in if I tried, tried pulling them out as much as I could to make sure. Also once crimped I used heat shrink right over the end which also seems to keep it in place not that it needed it.

Reactions: bigcol and dagree

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
Funny enough the lugs themselves only just fit the cable in, so by the time I crimped them there was no need for solder and I couldn't fit any in if I tried, tried pulling them out as much as I could to make sure. Also once crimped I used heat shrink right over the end which also seems to keep it in place not that it needed it.

what I did with the cables like that on a previous Patrol was

I "tinned" the cable, fitted the lug, did the crimp, then put a burner onto the join, to "slightly" melt the tinned surface, as well as that on the cable
then covered with heat shrink

just that any air or moisture inside will damage the join

ok, eventually it will degrade the joint, but it will do it none the less

no problemo, you have it sorted

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Can always take them off and heat them up and put some solder in? assume though the connection I have will last the life of the batteries?
If you used a good crimper the connections should be OK....... It's not as if the Expanda is going to do the same as the 4WD and "Shake the Sh!!!!" out of them :)

Reactions: burnsie and bigcol

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
ok, eventually it will degrade the joint, but it will do it none the less

Can always take them off and heat them up and put some solder in? assume though the connection I have will last the life of the batteries?

If you used a good crimper the connections should be OK....... It's not as if the Expanda is going to do the same as the 4WD and "Shake the Sh!!!!" out of them :)

I would guess, that in about 5+ years you would start to have troubles with the join...........maybe............

as @dagree said, as long as its a good connection, it will be ok....
and also, as he said, its not like its the ones for the Playdoh and will be going "off road" alot..............

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
and also, as he said, its not like its the ones for the Playdoh and will be going "off road" alot..............

Where did I say the 4WD will not be going "off road" alot? :boink: :p

I've seen the way he drives on the dirt road at Big Valley Campsite
I pity the poor Playdoh............. she's gunna be well used by the time they get home..............

burnsie

Jan 29, 2015
Perth
ok guys, so just finished the night shift (based on @bigcol recommendations), as per the discussions I have removed the battery cables and got to work on them, heated up the lugs and soldered them, took quite a bit of solder :) put some more heat shrink and connected it all back up.

IMG_4367.JPG IMG_4369.JPG IMG_4370.JPG IMG_4371.JPG IMG_4373.JPG IMG_4374.JPG

If you are going to do the job yourself you may as well do it properly, thanks for the additional comments, should hopefully get another couple of years out of them with the solder ;)

Last edited:

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Now the commodore is up and running the Prado will now be parked up during the week and only taken out when towing or 4WDriving :)

Just hoping to get many K's clocked up on it ;)

Reactions: burnsie

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
If you are going to do the job yourself you may as well do it properly,

single best bit of advice my Grandfather gave me when I was 11year old

I think from memory his words were more like
"dont root around with it, do it once, do it right first time"

best way to be

but you didnt need to blame me for it mate.................

Reactions: dagree and burnsie

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Good job @burnsie, i'ts great to see people look at advice, see if it has merit then act accordingly. It's also good to see so many good ideas on the forum from members willing to share their experiences, good and bad, for the benefit of others. :clap2:

Reactions: bigcol and dagree

burnsie

Jan 29, 2015
Perth
Getting the van serviced tomorrow ready for the trip and also it is the final warranty service as well, can't believe we have had the van for nearly 12 months, hopefully we get everything sorted tomorrow ready for the big trip.

Will need to book another service for the van on the trip assume we maybe somewhere in QLD by then, so will be requesting some recommendations on where to get it serviced by then.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Will need to book another service for the van on the trip assume we maybe somewhere in QLD by then, so will be requesting some recommendations on where to get it serviced by then.
If you are around the Gold Coast when you need the service then get in touch with East Coast RV, Michael or Dennis, on (07) 5528 2900. You will need to book at least 1 month to 6 weeks ahead.

Enjoy the trip.