Burnsie's Unexpected 17.56-2 Outback

burnsie

Jan 29, 2015
Perth
www.expandasdownunder.com
I know he was real busy last year, wasnt sure when you said "last ones" if he had thrown it in or not

I think I will PM him

We were thinking about those as well.Will be interested in the outcome.

So checked my previous conversations when I ordered them and he mentioned that he was thinking of stopping the tinted ones as they cost a bit more to make etc, but definitely worth sending the PM to see as there seems to be a bit more people wanting them

Will be good to see what the outcome is

crustt

Apr 17, 2013
I know he was real busy last year, wasnt sure when you said "last ones" if he had thrown it in or not

I think I will PM him
Hey col, thanks for getting in touch.

I'm still plugging away, I've been busy thanks to the boost to the economy down here from Chinese tourism. I would just like to thank everyone that did not listen to me when I banged on about buying Australian made products, without you the Chinese middle class could not afford to holiday in Aua. and stay at our place.:biggrin-26:

I have a front and back tinted left http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/281418659880?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649 They have been on ebay now for quite sometime for the same price as normal ones, so if you want to contact me swannie we can do a deal as I'd prefer to sell them cheaper here than on ebay

burnsie

Jan 29, 2015
Perth
So hooked up the van this morning to check out the new hitch (DO35) I installed and also to see how the van sits with the new hitch and whether a WDH is required didn't think it would be but thought I better check. Just to confirm I have a 2inch lift with heavy duty suspension with airbags.

All measurements were taken from the bottom of the rim to the middle of the wheel arch

Prado without van attached
Front 790mm
Back 810mm

Prado with van attached no bags
Front 800mm
Back 790mm

Prado with van attached and 25PSI in Bags
Front 800mm
Back 800-810mm

IMG_4255.JPG IMG_4253.JPG IMG_4254.JPG

With bags (25psi) the rear goes back up to 800-810mm and the front only increases 10mm from standard (without van)

I think it seems to sit pretty well and the measurements aren't to far out to require a WDH?

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Measurements are close to ours (+/- 3 to 5mm) with 26psi in the bags..... Tows great without the WDH and steering on the Prado feels the same as driving unhitched!

Reactions: bigcol and burnsie

Base23

Jan 17, 2016
Adelaide
My thought on air bags are Air bags keep it all level so it all looks good but none of the vans weight is transfered to the front wheels, So you may still need a Wdh. Is this correct?

Reactions: Sammy D and burnsie

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
your correct in a way @Base23

Yes, it does level the rear end up
No, it does not transfer any weight to the front wheels

but

it does take some of the strain out of the chassis that is transferred to the front by lifting / leveling the rear

as you can see from @burnsie's figures
without airbags - 30mm deflection (20mm rear + 10 mm front)
with airbags - 10mm deflection (10mm front)

also, the strength of the tyres (side wall construction) helps as well

Reactions: burnsie and Base23

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Is this correct?
Quite possible @Base23 ... Every setup is different!
Had a 100 series with standard suspension towing a 16' tourer and towed better with WDH... Current setup is 120 Prado (With upgraded Heavy Duty suspension and Airbags) and tows just as good.... Can't fit WDH on current setup due to having a Treg Hitch with space restrictions!

Base23

Jan 17, 2016
Adelaide
I tow with a Jeep and it has air suspension so sits totally level with the van connected as it self adjusts to the load, So to stand back and look at it looks like it should tow great. But it doesn't, with out the wdh the front end feels light and loose. With the WDH on my set up it tows perfect at all speeds.

burnsie

Jan 29, 2015
Perth
Few additions to the van today

Re-fitted the bench top and associated cables and tested it all out, fits well, also put some thick foam around the washing machine to get it stable and ensure it doesn't move around too much on the unsealed roads

IMG_4312.JPG IMG_4313.JPG

Next was the water filter, even though we have a external filter it seems to play funny games with the pressure to the van so as an added measure I installed a water filter next to the tap at the sink, this way the kids can also fill up their drink bottles when they need to.

IMG_4310.JPG IMG_4307.JPG IMG_4306.JPG IMG_4305.JPG

Also picked up a couple of bits from Bunnings to be able to fill the tanks a bit quicker.....and did it ever, before I knew it the breathers were getting full.

IMG_4308.JPG

And finally picked up the second battery and battery box, decisions decisions....two potential spots next to the exisiting one under the seat or at the bottom cupboards under the kitchen sink.

If I install it under the seat it will give me some more storage space (under the sink) but it will sit just in front of the wheel arch, so not sure how much more weight it will put on the towball, don't think it would be much at all but thinking about it.....

Other option is in the cupboards under the sink, will fit well and closer to the other one and will be sitting in the middle of the van and in line with the first set of wheels so shouldn't be any extra weight on the ball.

Also picked up some 2B&S cables to connect them up tomorrow

IMG_4300.JPG IMG_4299.JPG IMG_4315.JPG

Leaning towards under the seat as I don't think it would add too much weight to the ball being just in front of the wheels?

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
If I install it under the seat it will give me some more storage space (under the sink) but it will sit just in front of the wheel arch, so not sure how much more weight it will put on the towball, don't think it would be much at all but thinking about it.....

I'm not sure on how much, but like you say, it wont be a great amount, considering where it sits at the moment

the plus side of fitting it under the seat - all electrical is in one place............

Reactions: burnsie and dagree

burnsie

Jan 29, 2015
Perth
So installed the second battery, went with the "under seat" location so I don't loose any additional storage as I lost a cupboard to the washing machine. Install was straight forward, used some washes and screws to hold down the battery box then sat the battery in. probably need to clean up the wires a little as the connections now are quite short between the batteries as I made sure the + & - of the connections were on opposite batteries, used 2 B&S cable between them it is bloody thick stuff, connected it all up and hopefully should now have double the capacity for the trip.

Will test out the ball weight once my adaptor for the tow ball scale arrives to see how much it has added.

IMG_4317.JPG IMG_4319.JPG IMG_4316.JPG