Toy Hauler Bunk beds

andrew nelson

Jan 6, 2015
Glenden
When I get home I'll scan the plans that we were given and put them on here as a guide for you. We got some good news for us. Our dealer has a local metal fab place make up the frames etc and fit. We've been given the price of $1300 fitted and that's with jayco mattresses etc. the cupboards stay but the bed doesn't fold all the way up, which I'm fine witg

andrew nelson

Jan 6, 2015
Glenden
So here is the plans that I got from Jayco Mackay, wanted to give them a little plug becuase they are being really helpful. Hope this helps out someone else. I gae been told tho that the later model ones, i think after 2012 will be different.

Attachments

• CV-FRS-1751_3B_12-02 Model (1).pdf
    48.7 KB · Views: 502

Podstar

Jul 14, 2015
Gippsland, Victoria
Hi @Jess2102, @bigman0510 & @andrew nelson. I'm new to this forum and posted the below on another discussion yesterday.

I have only just come across this forum today by doing a google search on 23.73-6 OB and found the

'23.73-6 OB Basestation on Order...'
a very interesting read and will definitely use the information that you guys have offered throughout the thread, when we are ready to purchase.

We have been talking for probably the last week or two about getting a caravan and we think this van will suit us the best as we are of a large family: myself, my wife, and six children (10,8,6,4,4,2). We are just doing our research and due diligence and will probably look at getting one in about 12 months or so if our plans go ahead. As well as our large family, we also like the added bonus of taking all their bikes, scooters, etc, along with us.

What I really want to find out at the moment is if it is possible to have 2 sets of triple bunks in the rear of the basestation. I know three beds will not fold away neatly to the side as the two beds do, but is it possible, does anyone think, to have some tracks made up attached to the wall, were the top bed can be stored up high, tucked neatly under the interior ceiling, and the remaining two beds be folded away almost as per normal. To do this though, the top 2 beds will have to be movable and the bottom bed fold out to be almost laying on the floor. I have rang a Jayco dealer, and they said that Jayco will not do this in the factory....bummer!!!

Anyone with any ideas or thoughts would be most greatly appreciated guys.

After looking a little more on the forum tonight, I came across your thread and found that we are not the only ones out there wanting triples in the rear.

I am very interested in knowing how you guys went with your mods and would love some photos.

Thanks heaps in advance!!!!

bigman0510

Apr 9, 2011
Moranbah, Queensland, Australia
moranbahweather.com
@Podstar I think you might have to think outside the box on this one, maybe having all three "double" beds (if the kids don't mind sharing on sliders so you can slide them all up to the ceiling when not in use? similar to the images below.
Thats the only real way I can see you utilizing the space in the rear a little better, I don't think all the bunks will fold up properly with 3 on each side, fixed maybe. Welcome and Good luck!!!
Toy_Hauler_20_Foot_DSC_1235.jpg
2224-seismic-3914-garage-bunks.jpg
Toy_Hauler_24ft_Interior_Rear_Bed_Setup_Electric_Bunk_Beds__1.jpg
Toy_Hauler_32ft_Interior_Cargo_Bed_2.jpg
forest-river-xlr-toy-hauler-fifth-wheel-interior-3.jpg

Reactions: Podstar and davemc

Meanderthals

Aka PhilD
Mar 16, 2012
Near Darwin
@Podstar, with some custom fabrication I think that 3 bunks per side could be quite doable. If the buttom bunk had extended bracketry by about 200mm the middle bunk could be folded downwards and the bottom one folded up on the outside of the middle one. It may require narrower bunks to make all 3 work though. My 2 concerns though would be the total weight taking away quite a bit from your 600kg customer weight allowance and then all that weight hanging off of the walls, particularly at night time. The first part is your choice but for the latter part it may require an internal framework plus possible external Alluminium or Stainless flat bar's white powdercoated and bolted through the wall's to the internal frame. If van is ordered from Jayco with their 4 bunk system then theoretically you get to keep all your 600kg weight allowance on top of the as sold van's weight so therefore may be a good starting point.

Separately, what vehicle is going to take the tribe, misc items and the van ball weight and still remain below limits of axle loadings, GVM and GCM?

Reactions: Podstar

stevec

Jun 12, 2013
lower lake macquarie
@Jess2102 we to bought a second hand w n p with the single bed set up. with 4 kids this was addressed by removing the existing beds and using our two sets of camping bunks from our camper trailer days. I just got some conduit saddles and attached them to the uprights of the beds and removed the bottom part of the frame of the bunks and made legs to take the weight when the beds are in place.. We also have over head cupboards in the back so I cant fold beds completely against the walls but enough to get all the kids junk in the back.. Also the existing beds weigh a tonne , I must of taken at least 50kg out of the back removing them..

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
When I get home I'll scan the plans that we were given and put them on here as a guide for you. We got some good news for us. Our dealer has a local metal fab place make up the frames etc and fit. We've been given the price of $1300 fitted and that's with jayco mattresses etc. the cupboards stay but the bed doesn't fold all the way up, which I'm fine witg

G'day mate and realise this is a little down the track. Any chance I could trouble you for a pic of the bunks folded up with the overhead cupboards in place?

Base23

Jan 17, 2016
Adelaide
I made a separate bunk bed for our Basestation. It looks the same as the Jayco factory bunk (brought Jayco ply wood and iron on edging and ladder mounts) but it has legs that fold down and go to the floor over the single bunk that folds down from the wall. I had a mattress made from a mattress manufacture to suit.
I have the overhead cupboard factory installed in my basestation so I made this bunk about 100mm lower than the set on the other side of the van to give a little more clearance for the person sleeping on this bunk.
This bunk all worked perfect on our last trip

Have a look at the pictures

Legs unfolded
2015-12-05 12.15.13.jpg

Folded up flat to store against other bunk while transporting.
2015-12-05 12.09.18.jpg

Fitted in Van (note over head cupboard )
20160120_174059-resized-2048.jpg

20160120_174223-resized-2048.jpg

Last edited: