Toy Hauler Bunk beds

Jess2102

Apr 27, 2015
Newcastle NSW
Hi everyone!
We have just purchased a second hand work n play van. We absolutely love it and took it away last weekend for the first time and it was exactly what we have been after. Our only issue is that it only has two beds in the back and we need a third. We thought it would be an easy fix but upon talking to Jayco they are saying we can not do it. They have said there is not enough reinforcing in the walls for a top bunk. Surely though this wrong?? Has anyone put a top bunk in and if so how did you do it? We have been trying to figure out a way to do it but so far no easy solution lol. Does anyone have any suggestions?

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Welcome to the forum @Jess2102. Sounds like a great van but Jayco usually only reinforce wall where they are actually going to fit something. If the van was only ordered with two beds then they will only have reinforced for two.

It's a pretty safe bet one or more of our members will have ideas to help in some way or other. Post up some more info about yourself and vehicles and we love photos.

bigman0510

Apr 9, 2011
Moranbah, Queensland, Australia
moranbahweather.com
You can get the build plans from Jayco with where the supports are located in the walls. I had 3 bunks installed in the basestation and wanted to raise the one by itself on the onside, it turns out that the supports go the whole way up the wall, so I was lucky. Any nice dealer should be able to organise the plans for you with the chassis number.

Jess2102

Apr 27, 2015
Newcastle NSW
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Thanks so much, I will give Jayco a call in the morning to see if we can get the vans specs! Is there a spot on here that I can post to see if anyone is selling one of the beds we need? Our van is a little different as you can see.....lol. We are going to keep the graphics but get rid of the show time FMX. It seems though that it attracts much more attention than the standard graphics!

Reactions: Rockape and Smirke

bigman0510

Apr 9, 2011
Moranbah, Queensland, Australia
moranbahweather.com
View attachment 31888 View attachment 31887 View attachment 31886 Thanks so much, I will give Jayco a call in the morning to see if we can get the vans specs! Is there a spot on here that I can post to see if anyone is selling one of the beds we need? Our van is a little different as you can see.....lol. We are going to keep the graphics but get rid of the show time FMX. It seems though that it attracts much more attention than the standard graphics!
Lol, that's awesome, I can only imagine the questions you get from people!! It wouldn't take too much to knock one of these bed frames up yourself or find someone you know that's handy with a welder, there is seriously not that much in it. But, most Jayco dealers should be able to get a price for you, some use after market suppliers.

leighregan

Jul 21, 2013
Have just seen you pictures certainty a head turner... but also noticed the clothes rack on the back side. What type is this and where might I be able to get one. Sorry to be off topic and hope you come up with a solution to your bunks..

Jess2102

Apr 27, 2015
Newcastle NSW
Have just seen you pictures certainty a head turner... but also noticed the clothes rack on the back side. What type is this and where might I be able to get one. Sorry to be off topic and hope you come up with a solution to your bunks..
The van came with it but I'm pretty sure I saw the same one in our local Jayco dealer only a few weeks back. It is such a great idea!!

Jess2102

Apr 27, 2015
Newcastle NSW
:eek-53: Wow what a paint job.
I have seen some Jayco interior fabrics over the years that would have matched that.
Really! How cool lol. The van is vinyl wrapped so is easily removable, we are in the process of covering up the show time FMX. It's looking good so far! My husband races road bikes so didn't like having someone else's sponsorship on it.

Reactions: cruza driver

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Welcome to the forum @Jess2102 I love the look of your van! Very unique.

Hopefully you can get your hands on a build plan and sort out an extra bunk.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
@Jess2102 if it turns out the wall blocking is only present for the existing bunks, you should be able to remove the existing bunks, attached vertical supports (such as 20*20 SHS) directly to the existing wall blocks and then mount modified bunks along with the additional bunk to those supports

Last edited:

andrew nelson

Jan 6, 2015
Glenden
Hi, we're going through the same thing. Jayco mackay have done a set before so trying to find out what they did exactly.
Have been told that unless it was ordered with bunks it doesn't have the extra bracing but in saying that I don't see why a well placed but of angle sikaflex and screwed wouldn't do the trick :) I'll let you know as soon as I get some info what they say

andrew nelson

Jan 6, 2015
Glenden
You can get the build plans from Jayco with where the supports are located in the walls. I had 3 bunks installed in the basestation and wanted to raise the one by itself on the onside, it turns out that the supports go the whole way up the wall, so I was lucky. Any nice dealer should be able to organise the plans for you with the chassis number.

This is good to know, I will try and get the plans from where we bought ours

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Hi, we're going through the same thing. Jayco mackay have done a set before so trying to find out what they did exactly.
Have been told that unless it was ordered with bunks it doesn't have the extra bracing but in saying that I don't see why a well placed but of angle sikaflex and screwed wouldn't do the trick :) I'll let you know as soon as I get some info what they say
Hi @andrew nelson if you pull off the 8inch internal plastic vent cover over the door, or sink or where ever you model has it and youll see why you cant screw anything to the wall .... aside from 4mm cheap decorative ply its all polystyrene

ShaneT

Jul 24, 2014
W.A
If you look at the beds in the older model Base Stations While there beds are fixed to the walls they are supported by 4 legs to the floor.

andrew nelson

Jan 6, 2015
Glenden
Yeah @Crusty181 what I've got is already pulling out a little bit on the back screws so I've put a support leg in. I thought tho that there was some aluminium sections top to bottom? Make a section which goes from floor to top it would distribute the load a fair bit

Sorry @Jess2102 to jump into ur thread so much, hopefully we can both get a good outcome :)

Jess2102

Apr 27, 2015
Newcastle NSW
Yeah @Crusty181 what I've got is already pulling out a little bit on the back screws so I've put a support leg in. I thought tho that there was some aluminium sections top to bottom? Make a section which goes from floor to top it would distribute the load a fair bit

Sorry @Jess2102 to jump into ur thread so much, hopefully we can both get a good outcome :)

No worries at all!! The more info the better lol. Jayco Newcastle have not been very helpful with getting our plans so we are out of luck with that avenue! We also have the overhead cupboards in the back so trying to overcome that without removing them as well. Haha!