BigCols 16.49.1 (HL).OB (13EX)

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
time for a bit of an update...................

well, last year in November, we went down to Logue Brook Dam / Lake Brockman http://www.lakebrockman.com.au/loguebrookcamping/

no water, no power etc
was great, we were there for 4 days and apart from running phones down looking for service, had a blast
the factory standard 150W Solar worked well, as well as using the gas for fridge and some cooking
had another bottle attached to the weber, so main meals were cooked on that outside

while sitting around the evening fire..... talk of carrying water and the advantages and disadvantages was a couple of times discussed

I usually carry 10L water containers for coffee and cooking, and dont use the tank at all
(I fail to see the reasoning of carrying around 90kgs of water I wont use - we have previously always been caravan parks, so hook up the mains for water)

so today, in getting ready for another sojourn down there, I thought, hmmm maybe I should check the tank - as you can get water at the CVan park for free once we arrive (and I dont have to carry it for 200kms)

so I pop the bung on the side of the tank

and

get flooded :o:o:o

sometime in the last 5 years, I have filled the tank (maybe for stability, maybe not)

anyhow, drained the water (looked clean as a whistle) re-filled tank, drain tank again (still clear clean water) re-fill again
turn the switch on for the 12v pump to pump water..........
1) SWMBO says "what the.... I wondered what that switch was for..........but didnt want to ask and look foolish.........."

2) water comes out clean as, so a taste test is done
sparkling clean drink-able water

moral of the story

you dont know everything
and
sometimes your smarter than you know

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
time for a bit of an update...................

well, last year in November, we went down to Logue Brook Dam / Lake Brockman http://www.lakebrockman.com.au/loguebrookcamping/

no water, no power etc
was great, we were there for 4 days and apart from running phones down looking for service, had a blast
the factory standard 150W Solar worked well, as well as using the gas for fridge and some cooking
had another bottle attached to the weber, so main meals were cooked on that outside

while sitting around the evening fire..... talk of carrying water and the advantages and disadvantages was a couple of times discussed

I usually carry 10L water containers for coffee and cooking, and dont use the tank at all
(I fail to see the reasoning of carrying around 90kgs of water I wont use - we have previously always been caravan parks, so hook up the mains for water)

so today, in getting ready for another sojourn down there, I thought, hmmm maybe I should check the tank - as you can get water at the CVan park for free once we arrive (and I dont have to carry it for 200kms)

so I pop the bung on the side of the tank

and

get flooded :o:o:o

sometime in the last 5 years, I have filled the tank (maybe for stability, maybe not)

anyhow, drained the water (looked clean as a whistle) re-filled tank, drain tank again (still clear clean water) re-fill again
turn the switch on for the 12v pump to pump water..........
1) SWMBO says "what the.... I wondered what that switch was for..........but didnt want to ask and look foolish.........."

2) water comes out clean as, so a taste test is done
sparkling clean drink-able water

moral of the story

you dont know everything
and
sometimes your smarter than you know
I always travel with 2 x full tanks, because as soon as I don't you can absolutely guaranteed put money on finding the best free camp ever that youve ever seen in your life

Reactions: Drover

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
thats the point
last time we were at Lake Brockman, I didnt know we had water in the tank
and
had to keep going to the rainwater tanks for water for doing dishes

could have saved about 5 kms of walking for the week if I had known some wally had filled the tank on the Van

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
thats the point
last time we were at Lake Brockman, I didnt know we had water in the tank
and
had to keep going to the rainwater tanks for water for doing dishes

could have saved about 5 kms of walking for the week if I had known some wally had filled the tank on the Van
In that situation, the difference between knowing your carry water and not knowing is the athletic action wear you'd be wearing on your walk to the tank, as opposed to the thongs and look of annoyance you'd otherwise be wearing.

Reactions: Bluey

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
at the same time, I fitted a couple of "nets" inside

one next to the bed to hold the mobile phones while charging, and gaining space on the top of the cupboard

and one near the door for putting local area maps in...... instead of all over the table

View attachment 46607

View attachment 46608
Nets look great, where did you get them from?
Assume they are elastic so stretch to fit and hold stuff firmly.

Reactions: Drover

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
In that situation, the difference between knowing your carry water and not knowing is the athletic action wear you'd be wearing on your walk to the tank, as opposed to the thongs and look of annoyance you'd otherwise be wearing.

Feet thongs

feet thongs

if I was wearing the other type, yes I would have a look of annoyance, and pain, and un-comfortableness

Reactions: Bluey and Crusty181