NSW Bendeela Free Camp (Kangaroo Valley)

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
2 weeks ago we had a lovely weekend camping at Bendeela in the Kangaroo Valley. We have been there a few times for a day trip but this is the first time we camped over a weekend. I can highly recommend it :encouragement:

Pros:
  • Huge open spaces, great for kids to run around and ride bikes, play games.
  • Right on the water
  • Wildlife a-plenty
  • Only 5mins to town if you need supplies but feels miles from anywhere
  • Clean basic toilet block (no hot water) and dump point
  • Beehive point (worth the 4wd)

Cons:
  • Driving into the Kangaroo Valley is not much fun with a van, its very steep and will work you tow veichle and brakes hard (if you have a BT you will be fine)
  • No fires allowed, drinking water catchment area
  • Wombats that poo in your shoes :censored: (see photos)
In the school holidays the camping area is 4 times bigger with an adjoining area being opened up.

Here are some photos:

Be prepared for chilly mornings but great sunrises and sunsets
photo 5.JPG
photo 6.JPG
photo 7.JPG

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
We must have camped right in the daily walking path of some wombats because each night they would wake us up by scratching their backs on our axle and grunting at the pleasure. It was quite amusing.

photo 2.JPG
photo 3.JPG

And to add insult to injury one of them backed up to Mrs Moto Moto's shoe and relived himself. I cried with laughter when we discovered it in the morning:biggrin-new:

photo 4.JPG

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
The 25min drive to Beehive Point is worth the effort, and despite the NPWS signs warning 4wd only (which got me very excited) it was an easy drive in.

Once there you will be greeted with a great spot for a picnic or to put a canoe in the water to explore. NPWS are currently doing the area up which is making it more accessible to the masses for picnics and eventually camping. Unfortunatley we could see that people have been abusing the area (there was a burnt out wreak in the carpark) so i guess we are lucky to still get access.
photo 8.JPG

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
Looks a great spot, pity about the no fires though. Wombats are pretty cool when we were on our honeymoon in Tassie we went to a small wildlife park. We were the only ones there, we walked up to the wombat enclosure and this little wombat spotted us from the other side of the pen and then ran flat out to us for a pat! Absolutely hillarious.

Reactions: Moto Moto

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Kangaroo Valley would have to be one of those mystical places for me being in a valley like it is when the mist rolls in. Just a lovely spot as well as the surrounding suburbs. Gotta love that tough drive in though.

Reactions: Moto Moto

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Nice one MM, only ever been there on day trip, great spot.

Another con is it isn't pet friendly and you can see why, guess I'll have settle for Glenmac CP down the road, least they allow fires.

Nice report @Moto Moto I hope Mrs Moto looked into her shoes before slipping them on. :painkiller:

At least its organic, Wombats only eat roots and leaves dont they:D

Last edited:
Reactions: Soaring

BigSkiddy

May 7, 2013
Bargo NSW
Thanks for the report Moto. :clap2:
Stopped in there one long weekend on a daytrip. It was pretty crowded and they had a security guard as you entered, (slightly concerning).

I didn't realise it was free. Might do my maiden trip there when the van arrives. Also there's the 'Cannon Ball MTB track', this place is sounding better the more I type.

Hi Moto.
I`m from the Kiama area and am thinking about heading down there one day soon.

Can you tell me if you're allowed to tow a van from Berry to Bendela?

I thought the road says NO Go

If you're thinking about going along Kangaroo Valley Road, she's really tight and narrow in parts, I'd be heading further south down to Bomaderry and come up through Moss Vale Road, just for the peace of mind.