Aremac's 17.56-2OB

Aremac

Sep 20, 2011
Townsville, North Queensland.
Hi All,
I thought i'd throw up a few pics of our new van. We went down to Mildura to pick up our 17.56-2OB at the end of last month, before our shakedown trip returning to North Queensland. We spent Christmas and new years in the van.

attachment.php

Dinette
attachment.php

Bunk and Buffet
attachment.php

Kitchen
attachment.php

I'm loving the ease of setup and packup after a few years in a canvas soft floor camper. Looking forward to many more nights away in the new van.

Aremac

Sep 20, 2011
We've had a new box made up for the drawbar to give us a bit more secure storage.

attachment.php

The generator now has a home upfront on a slide -

attachment.php

It was mounted using the existing gas bottle mounts -

attachment.php

The gas bottles are now in a secure vented enclosure -

attachment.php

We moved the spare wheel back a little and used a wind-up spare holder from a Dmax -

attachment.php

The box was made up with 1.5mm aluminium to keep weight to a minimum. It's nice to have a place for everything again.

I should have my canvas bed ends ready before we head off on our 3 month trip in a couple of weeks.

Big Gee

Apr 8, 2011
The ACT
That looks great! did you have to weld the spare wheel winch on or bolt it? and did you have to put another spacer block in to stop the wheel from rocking?

kimlouise

Jan 19, 2012
Mornington Peninsula, Victoria
We are heading north and over to WA at the end of the month too. The van looks great. How long did it take to make and how much are the canvas bed ends you have ordered? Our van is currently set up in this shocking Vic weather and one end is fine but the other end (ours) is getting quite wet. I think we need canvas or some sort of PVC ends made up too.

Dec 23, 2011
Adelaide
This is the first time i have seen this thread. i love the set of cupboards under the bunk. was this a option at some stage or a personal modification.
Also like the storage box on the A-frame.
Thanks

MolongMick

Oct 6, 2011
NSW
I like the idea of the extra storage, but my three kids love to sleep by themselves and we like to use our dining table inside.

Maybe when the kids leave home in 2023 or something we might upgrade/sidegrade to one with more storage.

Love the photos too.

cancan

Sep 26, 2011
Manly; Brisbane
That is a good tool box...is that a vent on the front???
I have been wondering how you go putting gas bottles in a sealed bos.

Also guessing you have filtered drinking water. Is that factory fitted or a mod?

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
Great setup!

Just an question with the venting of the gas bottles.

Do you have a vent at the rear of the box that is at the lowest point?

I ask, as LPG is heavier than air, a vent mounted high will allow any leaking gas to remain in the box. This is why the door vent in the van is at the lowest level at the floor step - to let LPG out if it should leak from the fridge or stove/oven.

Ro

zerosecta

Sep 27, 2011
Melbourne
Hi Mate, nice thread :) Love the mods you have done so far and specially like the Tinsel for Christmas time.

Safe Travels

Aremac

Sep 20, 2011
That looks great! did you have to weld the spare wheel winch on or bolt it? and did you have to put another spacer block in to stop the wheel from rocking?

There's a length of 75x50 stainless in front of the spare (in the shadow) The wheel winch is mounted between that and the crossmember you can see and pulls the spare up flush to the bottom of the crossmembers...no rocking.

How long did it take to make and how much are the canvas bed ends you have ordered? Our van is currently set up in this shocking Vic weather and one end is fine but the other end (ours) is getting quite wet. I think we need canvas or some sort of PVC ends made up too.

I got a mate of mate to "knock up" the canvas bed ends for $300. They are a little more involved than i thought :noidea: - not as easy as just thowing up a couple of lengths of canvas. They mount to the existing press studs on the bed end lids and look great. They should get a bit of a workout on our trip, and hopefully keep the ends warm and dry.