17' Series Annex Safety Issues Strikes Vic

acmackie

Apr 19, 2012
Glenmore Park
Hi Adam
Send me the measurements, im sure there wont be any issues finding someone in China to make one for you! Might struggle to meet quality you'd want!

Reactions: Bards

rags

Rags no one will sell you a full annex anywhere in Australia, I know I have tried!>:(

Its not illegial to sell an Annex, the dealer should instead not sell a van in reality if an appliance is vented to any wall of a caravan as even if there was a vent on the right hand side then there is a potential to fit an annex on that side as well.
The regulation does not cover potential issues that may affect future use. As I have said the van gas installation is cerified at the time of manufacure, the annex is fitted post certification, the annex manufacturers are selling and installing a legal product and as they are not licensed gasfitters then they are doing nothing wrong.The original intent of changes to the code was aimed at domestic installation were a Rinnai type heater is fitted on a balcony with insufficent ventilation.
If this is such an issue for the concerned regulators then they also will need to ban the sale and installation of outback style screen enclosure rooms fitted to many homes as this is also a similar issue but we are now dealing with appliances that put out 30= 120mj/hr which has a far bigger outcome. My advise is get the annex fitted in NSW and if required have it made with any necessary vents, shoud not be an issue.

Capt. Gadget

Obsessive & Compulsive Gadget Man
Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
image.jpg

@gwadir I have a mate who is an upholsterer and I said just make it out of what ever you've got lying around hence the odd colours The brown bit is an Oztent Caravan connector and it has been sewn onto a wedge shaped canvas to suit the angle of the awning the reason for using the caravan connector was he couldn't match the zip profile on the oztent must be a special size for their own products. The rope on the top of the green bit slides into the rope track on the Aussie traveler anti-flap bars and the zip on the brown bit attaches to the Oztent we left the original rope on the caravan connector so it can be used to attach to the drum of the awning if i wanted to set it up sticking out the side of the awning . Ours are RV2 oztents which are just the right size to match the awning, they can sleep two in there comfortably until they are teenagers and want their own rooms
DSC_0170.jpg

Sorry but the car is in the way with this one , behind the car the oztent is attached to wedge on the van by the awning of the oztent, effectively giving another 2m of roof area

Last edited:
Reactions: relgate

gwadir

Feb 2, 2013
Albion Park, NSW
View attachment 23664

@gwadir I have a mate who is an upholsterer and I said just make it out of what ever you've got lying around hence the odd colours The brown bit is an Oztent Caravan connector and it has been sewn onto a wedge shaped canvas to suit the angle of the awning the reason for using the caravan connector was he couldn't match the zip profile on the oztent must be a special size for their own products. The rope on the top of the green bit slides into the rope track on the Aussie traveler anti-flap bars and the zip on the brown bit attaches to the Oztent we left the original rope on the caravan connector so it can be used to attach to the drum of the awning if i wanted to set it up sticking out the side of the awning . Ours are RV2 oztents which are just the right size to match the awning, they can sleep two in there comfortably until they are teenagers and want their own rooms
Perfect, thanks heaps @Capt. Gadget know exactly what to do now.

Dave

Petecaz

Jun 26, 2014
We purchased a 1756 2 and it is due in August. Our jayco dealer is giving us an annex side and 2 mesh/ shade cloth type ends so the annex can still ventilate. They understood my anger well when they rang to tell me about the annex issue and gave me this alternative half price to compensate.

rodney

Apr 23, 2014
All I can say is there is a lot more to it and leave it at that
The rule is aus wide only state that I know of that hasn't taken it up is nt

The Bucky's

May 25, 2014
We purchased our van in early March, weeks before the rules were change. We are due to pick up our new 17.56.2 this Sat, hopefully with the annex that we ordered.
Has anyone asked or does anyone know if you purchased before the new rule came in, does that make you exempt? We are waiting on a reply from E.S.V. who we have asked the same question to.
Also, as anyone that purchased before the 31st March and picked up their van recently, not been allowed to have their annex?

Jennymay

Oct 28, 2011
Perth WA
I'm not a technical person in regards to the gas situation but what if they vent the fridge on top of the van or flue it to under the van! Surely there is a way of preventing creatures, water etc from getting in vents.

Petecaz

Jun 26, 2014
Y
We purchased our van in early March, weeks before the rules were change. We are due to pick up our new 17.56.2 this Sat, hopefully with the annex that we ordered.
Has anyone asked or does anyone know if you purchased before the new rule came in, does that make you exempt? We are waiting on a reply from E.S.V. who we have asked the same question to.
Also, as anyone that purchased before the 31st March and picked up their van recently, not been allowed to have their annex?

Yes, we ordered before march 31 and have been told no full annex :( we are on sa though... Could be different for other states.

Bards

May 3, 2014
Blue Mountains
So we have it sorted, can put a Waeco 140L compressor fridge in for
An extra 350, tried to fight that but to no avail, we can now use a annex, and only lose 10l of fridge space.
I have looked at the specs on the fridge and they are pretty good, can run off a dual battery if free camping and it won't use excessive power.

Happy days!:)

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
An extra 350, tried to fight that but to no avail, we can now use a annex, and only lose 10l of fridge space.
I have looked at the specs on the fridge and they are pretty good, can run off a dual battery if free camping and it won't use excessive power.

Good result!

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA

Finally a resolution and no requirement to cancel the order :)
Well done Adam :encouragement:

Bards

May 3, 2014
Blue Mountains
Good work Adam. How much power does it draw on 12 volt?
Hey there Pete, specs say 2.5 amps/ hr, if I was doing a lot of free camping I would install another battery and more solar panels, with 2 100amp batteries you will get 4 days before having to rely on solar to recharge the batteries and if that fails carry a genni.
Are you guys in the same boat?

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Hey there Pete, specs say 2.5 amps/ hr, if I was doing a lot of free camping I would install another battery and more solar panels, with 2 100amp batteries you will get 4 days before having to rely on solar to recharge the batteries and if that fails carry a genni.

Hi Adam

Have you ordered the 2nd battery with the van? They are 30kg so it's best to get it added to the van before GVM plate. Good result otherwise sorry didn't read this earlier mate think you has just reason to cancel, but I think you probably didn't want to cancel anyway?

Reactions: jandl

Petecaz

Jun 26, 2014
Y

Yes, we are in the same boat but to late to get another fridge unfortunately. Our jayco dealer is still selling us an annex with a full wall but shade cloth ends... Not sure how legal this is but they are still selling it with the van so they must think its ok.

Bards

May 3, 2014
Blue Mountains
:cower:
Hi Adam

Have you ordered the 2nd battery with the van? They are 30kg so it's best to get it added to the van before GVM plate. Good result otherwise sorry didn't read this earlier mate think you has just reason to cancel, but I think you probably didn't want to cancel anyway?
Thanks Jim, I hadn't thought of that, will get a price now.

Your right wasn't looking forward to telling the kids, and starting all over again but the options at the time weren't good!

Firstly offered a 100l 12 volt fridge-way to small said I couldn't get the larger one In the 17.56.2
Dealer came back and said I could get the larger fridge but it will cost a $350, tried to fight that, but it came down to losing my deposit.

Headache gone:D