Almost here..........It’s Here!!!!

Jemmo

Feb 25, 2016
Bendigo, Vic
Looks great @Jemmo... you weren't passing through The Marsh this afternoon were you? Saw the same rig/van combo as yours....

Out of interest, what's the deal with things not being where you want them and a right of reply? Is that now case closed?

Hi Smergen (and others),
Apologies for the (very)delayed reply after everyones well wishes on the van purchase (and thank you) - got involved with a few issues for a month or two that left little time for either posting or getting out in the van.
The kids have decided her name is "Van"essa and we are headed to the Grampians for our first proper trip (ie a week+) over the school hols which we are all looking forward to.

Yes Smergen, that was us you saw going through The Marsh.
And in regards to your question about things not being where we wanted them, it is pretty much case closed as they had said from teh start that they couldn't guarantee it. The sales rep's comment was that they dont like putting the switches/gauges etc where we wanted them as the wiring etc is then behind the fridge which is more difficult to access if ever there is an issue. Not a huge problem, but it's frustrating that they have made a storage area (albeit small) obsolete - would have been the perfect spot for laptops, electronics etc.

We have only purchased a couple of minor things for the van in the meantime - cover, extension for the awning, gas line extension for the weber and now working on the list of remaining items currently on the wish list. In particular waiting for a quote on a storage box for the drawbar which will make life a bit easier. Also trying to convince the other half to let me start attaching items to the underside of the bed ends but she is a little reluctant to let me use a drill on the van!! (any tips anyone?)

One of the other things that worked well was the divider for the bed end that the kids use, which gives them both their own little "room", but will post separately on that if anyone is interested.

It's nice to back on line!!, Cheers, Jemmo

Jeremy Johnson

Sep 6, 2015
North Queensland
Hi @Jemmo
If it's any help, I did this on ours. I can give you details on all the measurements and parts required if you need. I'm quite happy with how it's worked out. Going to spray paint the fittings, so should be seamless at the end. Both my wife and I dislike carrying tables in and out of the van. It is much easier with this solution. 2 X tables, one for Weber and one for misc items.

Attachments

• Table x 2.JPG
    Table x 2.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 283

Jemmo

Feb 25, 2016
Bendigo, Vic
Hi @Jeremy Johnson,
Those details would be great as it is such a logical place to store large, flat items.
If you wouldnt mind, can you also send details or make/model of your toolbox in the pic you posted?
It looks pretty big - does it cause any probs with ball weight?
Cheers, Jemmo

Reactions: bigcol

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Probably not relevant but I found it easier to fit a shelf in the back of the car specifically for table and chairs.

I couldn't face the thought of stuffing up the drilling etc then thought it was probably just as fiddly to get them on and off the bed ends...hence the shelf in the car. It works, it was easy and I didn't have to rely on my limited skills.

(The shelf is qubelock...easy to put together and strong)

Jeremy Johnson

Sep 6, 2015
North Queensland
Hi @Jeremy Johnson,
Those details would be great as it is such a logical place to store large, flat items.
If you wouldnt mind, can you also send details or make/model of your toolbox in the pic you posted?
It looks pretty big - does it cause any probs with ball weight?
Cheers, Jemmo

I used the following

1 metre of 40mm X 40mm X 3mm aluminium right hand angle bracket, Cut in half for two tables.
Drilled 3 holes 125mm apart on each piece of aluminium
14 X 8G X 25mm zenith countersunk self tapping wood screws ( 7 on each table, 3 for aluminium and 4 for grunt straps holders)
2 X 2m grunt strap
I reused some clips from an old blind setting for the grunt strap holder, I had 4 sitting in a jar. Lucky
I measure everything twice before cutting / drilling.
I also set our drill at low torque setting, 5 to make sure I did not strip screws through bedlid/wood.
Make sure angled Aluminium clears locking section. 130mm from base. ( Can clarify if this doesn't make sense )
I stole from other posts for what parts to buy and changed slightly for our setup.

Have attached some close up photos also.

Most of the info on toolbox is on a thread called "The Old Toolbox Debate'". Surprisingly the Toolbox did not add much weight at all, still within our weight limit easy. Only did it a few weeks ago, and we are very happy with the result. There are a heap of suggestions on this site about tool boxes. This was a mixture of ideas. It was also cheap for us as we couldn't get one fabricated for a reasonable cost.

Attachments

• IMG_0309.JPG
    IMG_0309.JPG
    585.4 KB · Views: 256
  • IMG_0310.JPG
    IMG_0310.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 289
  • IMG_0311.JPG
    IMG_0311.JPG
    412.8 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_0314.JPG
    IMG_0314.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 279
  • IMG_0316.JPG
    IMG_0316.JPG
    935.3 KB · Views: 252

Jemmo

Feb 25, 2016
Bendigo, Vic
Thanks for the info @Jeremy Johnson ,
Have sent an enquiry for a custom made box to a local mfr and will see what they come back with. I am wanting a fwd opening box for access when the bed is down, but with the gas bottles mounted on the side - that will hopefully keep the install costs to a minimum as there will only be the need for longer pipes to reach the gas bottles and no movement of the regulator etc.
So many great ideas in the toolbox thread (and not enough $$$!)
Once the toolbox is sorted i can finalise what is going under the bed ends.

Cheers, Jemmo

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I fitted a rack for a table on my old 14, pics in the thread Drovers 14.44.3, as with fastening anything to the van, use a very small drill bit to pre drill holes and use Sikaflex to make sure it stays there, keep screws under 12mm or they will go thru most of the walls, floor etc and never tighten too much.......table under the bed end is the best way to go.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Oh forgot to mention with the bed end tap around and try to locate the frame bits as there is bugger all to fasten too otherwise.

Reactions: Jemmo

Swerve

Mar 26, 2014
Sydney
Black top and bottom cushions, thats what we choose. Looks good and feel better now seeing yours.

wally

Mar 14, 2016
brisbane
Hi Wally,
Looks great.
Is it custom made - can you tells us how many $$, what are the dimensions and get a photo with the lid open?
Can you open the lid with the bed-end down?
Thanks, Jemmo.
Hey Jemmo ...got it from Trade Tools Brissy ...was about $280.00 , lid opens with ends down ...check out "Trade Tools " website for size as I'm not at home this week to measure for you ..cheers Wal

Reactions: Johnno48