Just Browsing Alloy Siding

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Just washed and polished the rig after the latest cruise and noticed I had picked up the usual tar and a few scratches/knocks on the side and I have decided to add some aluminum panels aka: off road style, so the question is, has anyone done this themselves ????
My idea is to remove all the bits on the side, vents/lights etc, cut the stuff to the height of the mudguard flare, glue it on with an adhesive like quickgrip, roll the bottom section to go under the edge and fit some sort of trim to the top edge, the trim is the bit I'm concerned about as I haven't found anything that looks okay so far. Was going to use some .6mm sheet which has a dimple sort of pattern, the price is right as I have 2 sheets tucked away in the shed which I found the other day. Been tucked away for about 20 yrs just waiting for the day.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
I know someone did a Hawk a few years ago and it worked out well, sorry I cant remember what they used to stick it on with though.

What about liquid nails or a Sikaflex ?

As for the trim have you tried a caravan repairer or the like.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Adhesive not a problem but the trims I've seen are just a bit bulky want something slim, ideally a light bit of trim that the sheet will slot into and protect the top edge.

Reactions: cruza driver

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Just read @Moto Mech s great thread, thinking the same idea but he could finish his on the panel edge, not possible on my smooth side rig but early days, Caravan show in Toowoomba this weekend, yahoo..............................bound to find something. I know I have seen a bit of alloy trim which is the shape I want, just have to find where

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Got my alloy sheets out and checked them out and horror of horrors the bottom edge of one was corroded but luckily the off cuts I have will cover the loss, gave a piece a quick polish to see how it goes but I'm not sure if the pattern will look any good, it's a small diamond pattern.....................Glued a bit up so will see how quick grip works tomorrow after I check out things at the show.......early days yet, heaps of experimenting to do, may end up buying some propeller sheet and get it cut and a small turn put on the bottom to go under the van edge, just don't know for sure yet.
I have been told though that I better get it right first time.......or ???

20140731_154955.jpg

Reactions: 17triton

crustt

Apr 17, 2013
For what it's worth, ally sheet is pretty cheap, get a sheet that matches jayco for better resale and you can pick up a trim to match
Don't devalue your van by being too tight.

Reactions: skippy

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Not being tight, going for what looks best and performs. Some of the stuff I've seen on vans is terrible a bit thicker than alfoil, useless.

skippy

Jun 21, 2010
Butler/Perth WA
Not being tight, going for what looks best and performs. Some of the stuff I've seen on vans is terrible a bit thicker than alfoil, useless.

Our first camper trailer had scratches all down the side too. It's a great idea @Drover to help aid in stoping that scratching.

It's hard to imagine what the diamond plating looks like on the bench though.
Post a picture with it next to the fibreglass.
@crustt might have a good point though.

crustt

Apr 17, 2013
My point was more that for the small cost you could pick up the exact same as Jayco and it would look less like a home job and more like an original.

Reactions: skippy and Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Yep agree with you @crustt , went to caravan Show at Toowoomba today, checka plate looks good but silver or black !!!! also found most of the flat side rigs only have a silastic bead along the top edge of the trim, did see a couple of flash rigs that had Stone Guard paint on the sides and it looked pretty good, in grey would match the front of my van and I could follow thru with a strip on the back around the lights if I did a paint job, so will have to sit back and think things out, try and visulize the look.
Sadly no Jayco's at the show which surprised me, in fact very few Expanda type or pop tops but absolutely hundreds of vans.