Air Bag Filling

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
Hi all,

About to go to the dark side and fit air bags.....

I have a standard travel compressor (Dr AIR) I use to deflate and it works fine.

But I wanted to get a gauge and filler in one so I know how much air I am putting in.

On 12v compressor I only these fitting and most air fillers with gauges come with the larger hosed air compressors.

http://www.haigh.com.au/images/ProductImages/TG35A.jpg

So how does everyone else fill up there air bags?

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
I have ARB compressor (portable) with optional filler/guage it does fill quick so have to be a little careful and give it sort bursts,before I had the ARB one I just used an automotive foot pump that has the guage on it.

inflator-gauge-127x96.jpg

Even heard of people using bicycle pump, one pump equals 1 psi.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Hi expanda, I use my TJM compressor, It has a screw on valve end with about a 6m hose and the gauge is on the compressor unit with the switch so you switch off when you reach desired psi. I over inflate by about 5psi then deflate to desired pressure using an accurate gauge that i bought from Auto Barn, it's in increments of 2psi and i find about 22-25psi is good in the polyairs.

Cheers.

jdonly1

Dec 7, 2011
Bairnsdale Vic
I have a compressor and filler like most servos
Normally pump them up before we do a trip.Have 15 psi in the poly airs at the moment,might go to 20 psi for the trip home

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
I'm the same as Burnsy and just make sure you pump them up before the van is hooked on.

It will be a bit of trial and error to find the right pressure, but you will soon feel if there is to much pressure.

mrhappi

Oct 24, 2012
Ipswich
I use a foot pump as well. Tend to sit them on around 10psi for normal driving and 35psi when the van is on.

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
Hi expanda, I use my TJM compressor, It has a screw on valve end with about a 6m hose and the gauge is on the compressor unit with the switch so you switch off when you reach desired psi. I over inflate by about 5psi then deflate to desired pressure using an accurate gauge that i bought from Auto Barn, it's in increments of 2psi and i find about 22-25psi is good in the polyairs.

Cheers.

same for me burnsy. cheers pace.

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
Interesting....

I think I will need to use the yellow hose and fit a standard air compressor snap fitting in it and get a tyre gauge.

Air bags turned up today only cost me $88 bucks + $35 shipping and they took a week and two days from the good old USA of A.

2012-11-13 12.12.40.jpg

Now just have to raise the Pathfinder up, squeeze them in and run some piping!!!

Interesting thing in the manual it recommends a single air fill up point so both bags are even.

But in most setups I have seen everyone goes with the dual fill points.

How has everyone else got theres setup?

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Two for mine. Let's you fine tune if ever needed. Like Burnsy, I inflate a bit over and then adjust back with gauge. Run same pressure in Pathie about 22-24 when towing 10 otherwise (usually have back loaded full of stuff!)