Advice needed please - which car would you recommend?

greynt

Dec 15, 2012
Yarra Valley
Might do another hijack of this topic...
We have a NT t/diesel auto and tow a 17.56-2OB
So far very happy with tug, although we are going to change a couple of things llike putting a bigger exhaust on.
We are also going to upgrade the suspension and do some other cosmetic things like bull bar etc.
Our van is as follows - tare 1903kg, ATM - 2378kg, Max ball - 212kg. On our Easter break we drove from home to Echuca approx 250kms away. We averaged approx 16.8L p/100 on the trip.The Paj tows really well, using manual in the tiptronic gear box. We run a WDH as specified by Mitsubishi.
If looking at a Paj, just make sure it can handle the van you are looking at as the max ball weight drops from 250kgs to 180kgs once the van weighs over 2500kgs. Max towing for Paj is 3000kgs. IMO very good for non towing duties as well as let's face it, you will not be towing every day. SWHBO felt very comfortable driving when towing as well which is great for me. Quite spacious inside for us. Would choose diesel over petrol for towing duties.
I'm sure other people will give their opinions on there favourite tugs as well.
I think I'd better stop waffling on now. Let me know if you want any more info as I'm happy to help if required.
Cheers
greynt

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
www.expandasdownunder.com
Might do another hijack of this topic...
We have a NT t/diesel auto and tow a 17.56-2OB
So far very happy with tug, although we are going to change a couple of things llike putting a bigger exhaust on.
We are also going to upgrade the suspension and do some other cosmetic things like bull bar etc.
Our van is as follows - tare 1903kg, ATM - 2378kg, Max ball - 212kg. On our Easter break we drove from home to Echuca approx 250kms away. We averaged approx 16.8L p/100 on the trip.The Paj tows really well, using manual in the tiptronic gear box. We run a WDH as specified by Mitsubishi.
If looking at a Paj, just make sure it can handle the van you are looking at as the max ball weight drops from 250kgs to 180kgs once the van weighs over 2500kgs. Max towing for Paj is 3000kgs. IMO very good for non towing duties as well as let's face it, you will not be towing every day. SWHBO felt very comfortable driving when towing as well which is great for me. Quite spacious inside for us. Would choose diesel over petrol for towing duties.
I'm sure other people will give their opinions on there favourite tugs as well.
I think I'd better stop waffling on now. Let me know if you want any more info as I'm happy to help if required.
Cheers
greynt

The Paj was on our short list, though the swinging rear door and the spare wheel on the rear door is what turned us off. Yes a very capable vehicle and have seen many on the highways towing large vans. Great insight greynt. Pace.

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Hi Tayla I have a friend who tows with a Ford Territory it's a 7 seater diesel AWD (so you can do a gravel road or two with your OB) and quite a comfortable and economical vehicle only problem is you will have to jump the fence from Holden to Ford! ;) but that would be a plus hey Holden_man (ooohh can of Worms lid just ripped clean off) :rockon:

Did it once, went from Holden to Ford, never never again. Slightly off topic, best car I ever had was a Holden LX8 Adventra, surprising has a low tow rating but would have pulled the drawbar off my expanda.

Tayla

Mar 9, 2013
Melbourne, Victoria
Ok, this may be a dumb question but I'll ask it anyway... greynt does the towball weight vary a lot? I know the 18' van i like has a towball weight of 145kg in the expanda brochure.

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
Hi Tayla I have a friend who tows with a Ford Territory it's a 7 seater diesel AWD (so you can do a gravel road or two with your OB) and quite a comfortable and economical vehicle only problem is you will have to jump the fence from Holden to Ford! ;) but that would be a plus hey Holden_man (ooohh can of Worms lid just ripped clean off) :rockon:

Ya killin me CG :) Can't see anything good about jumping the fence, you just end up getting splinters ;)

Reactions: Capt. Gadget

greynt

Dec 15, 2012
Yarra Valley
Ok, this may be a dumb question but I'll ask it anyway... greynt does the towball weight vary a lot? I know the 18' van i like has a towball weight of 145kg in the expanda brochure.

Hi Tayla

Yes the ball weight can vary dependant on the accessories fitted to the van, eg - solar panels, batteries external shower etc.
I would use the catalogue as the very base for weights both van and ball.
Maybe if possible talk to Jayco to get a better idea of the van weights with the options you would like on the van.
Even search through the forum for people with similar vans and see what they say.
Everybody as you know is very helpful on the forum.
HTH

Cheers
greynt.

Reactions: Tayla

The Alberto

Oct 19, 2012
Rockhampton QLD
Lol, i can take a hint, just looking at the Prado now. There seems to be so many options with a huge price range. I'm gathering the ones in the lower price bracket may not have the towing capacity needed for the 18' vans?
All variants of the 5 door 150 series Prado (GX, GXL, VX and Kakadu) should have a 2500kg rating, the 3door has 3000kg. I am also pretty sure they have just released, or are about to release a special edition Altitude Prado, heaps of extras for around $5k more than a GXL.

I have an 18 57 6 OB and I have absolutely no problems towing it. Best tow car I've owned. I have the GXL and paid $60k on the dot drive away with mats, tow bar and plastic protectors. For what you get, I'm not convinced this is an over the top price, especially given most of the Pajeros are this and more. Plus IMO the live rear axle in the Toyota is a better set up for towing.

Having said that they really are Both great cars, both will tow the 18 footer easily and I think you would have to go a long way for better tow cars for the money. Next step is the Disco4 and 200 cruiser at $80k plus. Awesome tow cars but hard to justify the coin.

Reactions: Tayla and greynt

Antman

Jul 18, 2012
Brisbane
almcrae.blogspot.com.au
I agree The Alberto in regards to the price of the Prado. I don't think they are over the top at all. If was buying new or 1 year old definitely I would go with a Prado. Absolutely awesome vehicle and coming standard with long range tanks is such a great thing and they hold their value better than any other car IMO.
I have been looking at prices in the second hard market over the last week and the Pajeros are quite a bit cheaper than the Prados in rightly so as I don't think anyone wants to sell their Prado.

Thanks greynt for your insight.http://www.expandasdownunder.com/find-new/5387/threads
Cheers
Ants

Reactions: Tayla and greynt

greynt

Dec 15, 2012
Yarra Valley
Cheers pace9908 and Antman. I agree about the prado being a great tug as well. I was weighing up between that and the Paj, but just could not justify the extra money for it. I bought our Paj second hand. Another bonus for touring with the prado is the tank size, I think 150ltrs which is great until you have to pay for it... One thing I forgot to say Tayla is the only dumb question is the one that doesn't get asked:). Looks like you have a tough choice on your hands with both great tugs.

Tayla

Mar 9, 2013
Melbourne, Victoria
Can't argue with the "can of worms" responses. Love my Pathfinder. I'd go diesel and auto. I've had five 4x4's and prefer for towing. Look for good 400nm+ and 3000kg rating for towing. Then see what options left. For an 18 I'd also have a look at LC's and LR Discovery, etc., and start to make a list of likes and dislikes with your passenger needs in mind. The list will quickly reduce itself.

The 7 seat Challengers only have 350nm so I rule them out?

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Borderline maybe especially for an 18. But try a search for Challenger on this forum. I thought they were Triton based so had a bit more torque but only 2500kg towing capacity. There'll be members that tow with Challengers and they'll be happy to give you honest feedback I'm sure.

greynt

Dec 15, 2012
Yarra Valley
Hi Tayla,

Agree with Xpandafan about the +400nm and 3000kg. I don't know to much about about the Challenger but IMO i don't think 350nm is enough when trying to tow a full '18 and family of 7. Are you looking at brand new or second hand, as there can be some great value tugs that are approx 1-2years old at a reduced price. We brought our Paj and it was 3 years old and very happy with it.
From left field, have you looked at Jeeps? Matty4 has one and from memory he is happy with it and is around the same price as the others, with good power both nm's and kw's, don't know if they are available as a 7 seater though. Maybe even speak to cruza driver as he had a LC and now has a Paj, maybe would give you a good idea on pro's and con's for each.

Cheers
greynt

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Sorry haven't checked this thread since last week I was away over the weekend :)

Honestly I haven't towed with the Paj (even though that was the original plan) as I ended up replacing my Cruiser with a new BT so that gets the nod for towing duties. In saying that I will be sharing the duties between the 2 when over winter I hope to throw an electric brake controller and some rear airbags into the Paj.

I am really looking forward to towing with the Paj as I find it a very nice car to drive and its one of those cars that you feel at home with straight away. And as a family car it ticked all the boxes for us after lots of researech, we got the Platinum model that came with lots of extras. I'm not sure if we needed them but they are a nice anyway ;) For day to day driving my wife gets around 10.2lt per 100km

Good luck with your decision and for me personally I'd go and drive a few different cars and see what you feel comfortable in and what suits your needs

Good Luck.

Reactions: Tayla and Antman

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
I appreciate everyone's input on this, however, amount of Nm a vehicle has is only a very minor part in towing a larger and heavier load. IMO, it is mor important to look at the tare weight of the tow vehicle. It is no good having plenty of pulling power if you cannot stop the load in an emergency. I am sure none of us would like to be in a position where the tail wags the dog.

Soaring

Jan 30, 2013
Melbourne - Eltham
Not sure if it has been mentioned so far, but the Jeep Cherokee Larado diesel should fit the bill. (As much as this pains me to say). A couple of people we camp near at christmas had them and just wouldn't shut up about them. Chrysler/Jeep don't have a great reputation in aust, so I was very sceptical. But after doing some research , if I tooting the position where I had to lay down my own cash, the Jeep would be it. Approximately $55k, with a diesel that puts everything short of the v8 cruiser to shame.

SilverFox

Aug 27, 2012
ACT
I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo diesel towing my 16.49-1. It currently has 30,000kms on the clock ansd so far I am very impressed with it. It has a towing capacity of 3500kg, 177kw, and 550nm. Awesome car. Cheaper than most, and still fully equipped. Tows my van with ease, and still manages to return excellent fuel economy.

I'm very impressed with it.

Soaring

Jan 30, 2013
Melbourne - Eltham
There you go.
Apparently when things turned ugly with the Auto industry in the States a few of years back, part of Chrysler's recovery plan plan was to bring some of the Quality and Durability big boys out of Mercedes. This is the result.

SilverFox

Aug 27, 2012
ACT
Hi Soaring,

Actually what happened was that the Chrysler/Dodge group was bought by Fiat. Fiat now own, Alfa, Maserati, Chrysler and Dodge. The diesel engine in the Grand Cherokee is a european engineered engine by VM Motori, which is about to be dropped into the Maserati Ghibli. One of the changes to it are an extra turbo. Here is the news article at http://europe.autonews.com/apps/pbc...eratis-first-diesel-powered-car#axzz2RF9iqO88

Cheers