17' Series Adam and Sals new adventure!

Bards

May 3, 2014
Blue Mountains
Hi everyone, just ordered our new 2014 17.56.2 OB, now to sell the 6 month old Swan, yes i know could of saved a lot of hassle, just needed to know that Sal could handle what she calls camping without spending to much.
Well she did like it, loved it in fact just wanted a bit more room and separate beds for the 3 kids and less canvas.

Well we purchased interstate but got a really really good deal even though we will drive 10 hours to get it, might leave the kids with the grandparents so i won't have any distractions for its first tow.

Tow rig will be a 2005 Prado 4000l petrol/gas for now, will try to trade up to 3500T braked capacity diesel rig early next year,

Options on the van were outside tv point, fixed DBL bunks, privacy screens, and tri fold table. Was going to go ext on drawer bar so as to accommodate bikes but will put them on the back now so the A frame is not too busy.

Pic is off brochure for now!

Now just to wait 5 months!!!!!!

Attachments

• van.jpg
    van.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 185

Bards

May 3, 2014
Blue Mountains
Yes we are really Excited, just have to sell the Swan hopefully for the price we need, would love to have something bigger to tow with as the Prado is only 2500 braked, maybe a Audi Q7 hey!

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Thanks hamish22, still tossing up if i will use Weight distribution bars though, not sure if they are needed.

Welcome aboard Adam & Sal.
Great combination.... A 17.56.2 OB and a prado!!! But then again I'm just a little bit biased :D

We used to tow a 16.49.3 and was told WDH setup not necessary. We borrowed and tried a set and it made that much difference we went out and purchased a set.
Our 17.58.2 is fitted with a tregg off-road hitch so now the WDH bars won't fit. Towed OK on our first trip but I have since upgraded the suspension to a HD 30mm lift and fitted air bags at the same time. Tows just as good (so far) as the 16.49.3 did with the WDH bars.

Hope your 5 month wait goes quick for you... It'll be worth the wait!

hamish22

May 12, 2013
West of Newcastle
www.grmotorsport.com.au
Thanks hamish22, still tossing up if i will use Weight distribution bars though, not sure if they are needed.
Hey Adam!
I have a Landcruiser as a tow vehicle and was also ignorant about using a wdh with such a stable tow vehicle. My van has 240kg on the ball and when I found out that a normal towbar tongue doesn't cover this weight I switch to a WDH and the difference in attitude all over is ridiculous.

In other words not really needed but they certainly smarten up the behaviour of the whole tow setup!

Turtle

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
Bathurst, NSW
Hi Adam, and welcome!
There was a recall on the Prado's fitted with a genuine tow bar late last year, so make sure your is okay.
I have a 17.56-2 OB and it weighed a bit more than 250 ball with the water tanks full.
I found it was right on the limit although the Prado never struggled.
Enjoy your selection, it worked for us for the first 3 years.

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
:welcome: Adam & Sal

It's a misconception that you can't use the WDH with a TREGG hitch, you can, just need an adaptor plate under the car receiver part, however Jayco usually use the "TRIGG" hitch the van end is the same the car receive bit is different. making it not feasible for the WDH.

coupling_04.gif

Tregg coupling

POLYBLOCK.jpg

Trigg coupling.

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Correction required for my previous post.... We have a Trigg coupling and not a Tregg.
As @Bushman said the Tregg coupling can be used with the HR WDH system but the locating lugs on the bottom of the Tregg car receiver need to be ground off to enable it to fit the HR towbar adaptor.

Kenshi123

Jun 24, 2012
Ballarat
G'day and welcome to the forum. Congrats on the purchase. Sounds awesome. Doubt you will have trouble selling the swan. All the best.

Ben Stanford

Feb 23, 2014
Sunbury, Vic
:welcome: Adam & Sal

It's a misconception that you can't use the WDH with a TREGG hitch, you can, just need an adaptor plate under the car receiver part, however Jayco usually use the "TRIGG" hitch the van end is the same the car receive bit is different. making it not feasible for the WDH.

coupling_04.gif

Tregg coupling

POLYBLOCK.jpg

Trigg coupling.

I use the Trigg style coupling picture above with WDH and bars for driving on the black top. I had to grind the base of the Trigg to get rid of the side edges which I assume are designed to stop the hitch from turning. With the hayman reese hitch that I use the back edge of the Trigg Coupling sits against the end of the hitch so that prevents it turning! If time permits I'll take a photo and post it up for you all to see.

Cheers Ben

S&k

Jan 27, 2014
Cairns
We moved our 2012 outback swan on gumtree. It took about 6 weeks and there were lots of crazy offers. Im sure people think you are going to give stuff away at ridiculous prices. The person that purchased ours viewed it on the friday morning and deposited the money into our account there and then and took the van that afternoon. 3 weeks untill the new van will be here.