16' Series About to buy 16.49.4 std

May 2, 2012
Outer East of Melbourne
Hi all,

I have been a long time lurker of this site and currently have a Outback hawk that I am currently selling to upgrade to the expander. I have absorbed a lot of imformation from this site and are in the final stages of choosing where to buy a new 16.49.4 std model in the Melbourne area. I am looking to buy the van with the following extras.

Side awning
Wall mounted air con
Drop jacks
Privacy screens
Wind up arial

Most if not all of my trips re spent at a friends property or at a caravan park where 240volt and amenities are available.

My question is, is there are any obvious extras that I have forgotten and what would be a fair price to pay for this setup.

Thanks in advance any help would be appricated.

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the upgrade.

How about an extra gas bayonet fitting for a weber moment outside? Also Hot Water systems are great if its not standard in that model. Just a few quick ideas off the top of my head.

Reactions: TatongTraveler
May 2, 2012
Outer East of Melbourne
Thanks Moto Moto.
I did think about the hot water but thought it might be a bit on the pricey side. I did see a 240v compact instant water heater at the big green shed the other day for $99. I was thinking about having a play with one of these and mounting under the sink.

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
That is the same as the one we put a deposit on. Powerpoints under the tables also seems popular. We are thinking about the larger fridge, downside of that is loss of bench space. Should be looking high 33's low 34's.

Geoff

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
www.expandasdownunder.com
TT, hello and welcome to the forum, mate of mine used one of the 240v plug flow controlled flip mixer for hot water in his windsor(sorry to mention that word on this site), he is totally wrapped with its performance, check out rv warehouse for it,cheers.

ElectricGuru

Sep 5, 2011
SE Brisbane
Gday TatongTraveler

Good decision on the 16.49-4. We are looking at that or a 17.56-2 for our next van.

A few things to consider for the order even if you may not do some of them until later on...
  • 150lt fridge (always get the bigger fridge)
  • External picnic table
  • Solar pre wire (even if you are not going solar, this can be used later on even as a selling point)
  • Second tv point (external)
  • Second water tank
  • External lights to suit position of items such as BBQ or external shower if you are going down that road
There is much talk of weight especially at order time due to the weight of everything ordered being included in the nameplate (legal) towing limits. If you are considering a battery or even dual battery, inclusion in the initial order is better.

Also, who is to say where you will be going on your adventures in the coming years and what you will need.

"It's not just wheels and a shell and beds and coordinated interior; that's what a caravan needs. But what a caravan is...what the Expanda really is...is freedom." ―Jack Sparrow

Ok, he was talking about something else but you get the picture... ;)

Cheers

Paul Costa

Apr 15, 2012
Melbourne
Hi Macca,

The price was $32,390 with a shade screen for the awning and an extra power point thrown in for free, on top of what he requested. As i said, this bloke is not bad to deal with.

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
That is the same as the one we put a deposit on. Powerpoints under the tables also seems popular. We are thinking about the larger fridge, downside of that is loss of bench space. Should be looking high 33's low 34's.

Geoff

Well I was wrong!

paulie484

Apr 12, 2012
Perth WA
Hi Macca,

The price was $32,390 with a shade screen for the awning and an extra power point thrown in for free, on top of what he requested. As i said, this bloke is not bad to deal with.

wow - price I got quoted the other week from Caravanland here in the worlds most isolated city (Perth) -- std 16.49.4 = $37890...OB 16.49.4 = $41390 ....fridge upgrade $800

makes you seriously think about driving over and towing back with a bit of a holiday....

Paul Costa

Apr 15, 2012
Melbourne
Hi Paulie,

Nice to meet you mate. Check my own purchase on this forum under "16 series- looking for a new expanda?" I think a drive down to Melbourne is certainly worth it.
Cheers,

Paul

Reactions: paulie484
May 2, 2012
Outer East of Melbourne
wow - price I got quoted the other week from Caravanland here in the worlds most isolated city (Perth) -- std 16.49.4 = $37890...OB 16.49.4 = $41390 ....fridge upgrade $800

makes you seriously think about driving over and towing back with a bit of a holiday....

It would be well worth the drive. Call Grant at page Bros Jayco in Seaford before you jump in thr car.

Reactions: paulie484