Toy Hauler A few more mods

pauljygrant

Apr 1, 2015
Adelaide
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Finally got round to fitting a high level central brake light. Liked it so then decided to fit similar style high level lights to replace the factory LEDs. The central light is only wired to operate as a brake light (didn't connect the tail light) and the corner lights are wired for brake, tail and indicator lights. All are clear when not illuminated. Also fitted the door to the new wardrobe.

Base23

Jan 17, 2016
Adelaide
View attachment 40368 View attachment 40367 Finally got round to fitting a high level central brake light. Liked it so then decided to fit similar style high level lights to replace the factory LEDs. The central light is only wired to operate as a brake light (didn't connect the tail light) and the corner lights are wired for brake, tail and indicator lights. All are clear when not illuminated. Also fitted the door to the new wardrobe.
I like it, Looks great.
How did you do the wiring for the lights? Did you drill right through in to the inside of the van?
Also how flat is the roof of your basestation? Mine is not flat at all and i am wondering if that is a problem.

pauljygrant

Apr 1, 2015
Adelaide
I like it, Looks great.
How did you do the wiring for the lights? Did you drill right through in to the inside of the van?
Also how flat is the roof of your basestation? Mine is not flat at all and i am wondering if that is a problem.
Yes, drilled through and ran conduit hidden behind the rear door fly screen housing. Connected via the wires under the rear right corner, where they enter into the van.
Agree that the roof is very poor - mine has dips all over evident where water dries and leave puddles of dust,etc. I'm guessing yours might be even worse with more roof penetrations for solar and tv antenna. If I stored mine outside, then would have taken it back already but since stored in my shed, I'm in 2 minds whether worth the effort - could a dealer do anything better than the factory? I was cleaning it yesterday but only 1/2 done so wil take a photo of the unclean half to show where water is ponding. Wonder if any other full size vans have similar issues?

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Well the roof of my Coromal has curves and bumps all over, seems like they just lay the sheet down nail the edges and hope the roof fittings hold the rest down, get some bug puddles. Have seen heaps similar roofs on all brands. Next hail storm should get it done better.

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
our vans roof is really lumpy. I mentioned it to the guys where we take it for warrantee work and said I want it noted down just in case of future problems. (I hope they did.) I admit I was expecting it a lot flatter/smoother.

Reactions: Drover

pauljygrant

Apr 1, 2015
Adelaide
More a work in progress. Moving the lower offside bunk to the near side - required new wall supports, etc.
A few reasons for this modification (with benefit of hindsight, would have ordered the camper this way!)- it allows bikes to be stored under the higher offside bunk; can locate the gray plastic box under the near side bunk; when camping in winter, can hang towels etc from underside of offside bunk. However the main reason is since our daughter uses a wheelchair and can't walk, it should be easier lifting her onto this bed without banging your own head on the top bunk.
Still to fit the metal cable supports and the bed fall restraint panels but happy so far with progress.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

pauljygrant

Apr 1, 2015
Adelaide
Were there supports in the walls on the near side for you to attach the frame?
Yes and no!
The front did find a support but the rear didn't. I had anticipated the opposite. That said, the top screws at the rear were the Jayco screws that locate the bracket for the rear door so they should be secure.
It all feels ok but I guess the test will be after the unit has wobbled and bounced around for a few thousand Km's!
(I did email Jayco Technical asking about the location of any internal supports but they didn't respond so pushed ahead anyway).

pauljygrant

Apr 1, 2015
Adelaide
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Decided to upgrade the reverse camera in the ute for one that would accept more than one input, ie camera on the rear of the Basestation as well as on the ute. Haven't taken the unit out on the road yet to test the actual view via the campers camera but the ute camera gives a sharp image.

Last edited:

Sammy D

Feb 14, 2016
Quirindi
Is that camera wired or wireless @pauljygrant ?

I remember reading on here of someone who put a camera inside their base station to keep an eye on cargo in transit which I think is a wonderful idea. My next biggish mod will be a rear camera as well as an interior one for that same reason.

Reactions: bigcol

pauljygrant

Apr 1, 2015
Adelaide
Is that camera wired or wireless @pauljygrant ?

I remember reading on here of someone who put a camera inside their base station to keep an eye on cargo in transit which I think is a wonderful idea. My next biggish mod will be a rear camera as well as an interior one for that same reason.
It was Bigman0510 that had the internal camera.
Mine is wired - have heard a few issues with the wireless ones.
The camera on the caravan is supposed to have audio as well, although not sure how clear it is. May help when the other half is giving reversing help....?

Sammy D

Feb 14, 2016
Quirindi
Yes I have heard the quality of the wireless ones isn't very good too, I am constantly living in hope that someone comes up with a winner though as running wires eats into fishing time;)

And thinking of audio help from the better half (apologies for being off topic) I saw a sign today that said

"My wife gives me sound advice, 99% sound 1% advice":director: I thought that it was funny, not that my wife resembles that at all!!!

Reactions: Delano and bigcol

pauljygrant

Apr 1, 2015
Adelaide
image.jpeg
In preparation for our trip to the ski hills, started to investigate the Chinese made Jayco Storm covers to protect the front canvas bed. Turns out that they are now discontinued.
Ended up getting one made locally - didn't get any windows added since the cover is primarily for use in cold weather - will revert to the shade cloth privacy screen in warmer trips. The deletion of a zip window reduces the chance of water getting in and makes it flatter to fold up in-situ.

pauljygrant

Apr 1, 2015
Adelaide
Fitted 2 temperature gauges to the gap above the microwave. The sensor for the outside gauge is cable tied to the rear of the upper fridge vent so should give a reasonable indication of outside temperature. Filled the rest of the panel with a USB / accessory 12v outlet and basic 12v battery voltage display. Also fitted a switch incase the displays are too bright at night and annoy us. The other switch is currently not used, but could control a fan to cool the rear of the fridge if needed.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Now that I have moved the bottom bunk to the other side, the bikes fit well under the bed. Also fitted a couple of hanging / drying rails under the bed for towels etc.

stephen hoffman

Jun 7, 2016
New Zealand
I don't want to highjack this thread, but I am very interested in the "Storm Cover" over the front bed. I have a 23.76-6OB, I am in NZ and get lots of condensation forming in the bed area which makes the bedding wet (Particularly in the winter)... one solution would be to move to The Lucky Country, but I like it here .... I would be keen to know if anybody has had this experience and if the cover has solved it ... also how the cover is attached etc ... Thanks

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
More than likely internal air flow causing the condensation or have you got ice forming on the outside ????