Electrical 2011 -- 17.56.2 Expanda -- Extra Fridge Wiring in VAN

AnthonyF

Jan 4, 2016
NOWRA
Hi

I have just purchased a 2011 Expanda 17.56.2, I have recently been away with wife and 4 kids.

Whilst away I noticed quickly that the Fridge in the Van was too small for our needs. ( Think it is a 80-100lt )

I purchased a 60lt Companion Fridge / Freezer from BCF and are quite happy with it.

Question is, I need to power the Second fridge which I Stowe in the Van under the Dining table, whilst driving.

I have a second battery installed to my Prado with a Ctek Dc Dc Charger/Isolation between. Then supply the power to the 12pin plug via the second battery. with a 30a electronic cut off.

Any suggestions on how I should go about powering the second fridge ? I was looking at just grabbing power off pin 2 or 9 , should I do this ?

Budget is a factor here, so would rather a cost effective and hopefully a DIY option.

Where to next

Aug 25, 2015
Melbourne
Hi @AnthonyF, welcome to the forum. Everybody here is always happy to help. I assume you have a battery in the caravan itself. You could add a 12 volt point under the table for the fridge to connect to while travelling. Your car will charge the caravan battery while travelling which will then give sufficient power to run the fridge. :)

Reactions: Smirke

AnthonyF

Jan 4, 2016
NOWRA
Thanks for your time in replying.

Yes I have entertained this option and at this stage, will likely use this method.

Just was not sure, if anyone else had a good cheap alternative.

Appreciate your assistance :)

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
That would work for charging while travelling, without having to move it to the car.

Your issue would be keeping it charged while parked up. If on 240v that's also not a problem ...use any spare 240v socket, preferably outside...should be one fitted as standard.

But if free camping you'd need to access 12v easily, either from van or second battery in vehicle. We can get a few days fridge charging from our vehicle dual battery system by simply connecting to that dedicated 12v socket in car. Not the socket connected to cranking battery. It just depends on how much spare 12v juice you have available.

Other possibility is to use your solar panels, with regulator, to charge second fridge. Might be safer to keep a spare battery to run the fridge and charge it via solar. Just depends on how complicated you want to make it.

Or concentrate on caravan park 240v until you know what your needs are.

Have fun with it. Hope the beers stay cold.

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Welcome @AnthonyF

First question would be does your 17.56-2 have a battery already fitted running other 12v equipment in the van ?

If it does, as @Where to next has said, all you would need to do would be to add a 12v point under the table and run it from there.

You would also need to confirm that your caravan battery was being charged from your car (some do and some don't), and if it was, then it would be fine whilst travelling.

Obviously if free camping, you would need a reasonable solar supply to keep up with the fridge and other 12v systems like lighting etc. (or use a generator to run or recharge).

If there is is no battery in the van, then yes you could run it from
your vehicle 2nd battery. The 12
pin plug will supply sufficient current, just make sure the wiring is heavy enough to avoid too much voltage drop from your fridge battery all th way back to the van.

The problem would then be how to keep it running once disconnected from the car, so you then be back to a separate battery and solar etc.

Reactions: dagree

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
welcome @AnthonyF , there are lots of great minds on this forum, and some great ideas to help you

as has been said, if you have a battery already in your Van - easy as
depending on your DIY abilities, you should be able to take a feed off the Setec unit in your Van, and put in a dedicated 12v point under your table for travelling
have a wander around Baintech on eBay - http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_....H0.Xbaintech.TRS0&_nkw=baintech&_sacat=50067

or if you have a local 12V shop / Battery world etc
BCF, Supercrap, etc all of them also sell 12V plugs

let us know how you go mate

we always love to hear what people are doing

john hayward

Dec 31, 2012
Just thought that I would relate my experience with a Waeco fridge whilst free camping.
I was running the Waeco off 12 volt from the van 24 hrs each day. Each day I would connect the Honda 2 kva generator to the van for a few hours to recharge the batteries (2x120amp).
However after a few days I noticed that my batteries were not recovering and we're getting to a dangerous level, less than 10 volts.
A friend pointed out that as I continued to run the fridge off the batteries whilst the generator was running that the batteries were not getting a chance to recharge ie the fridge was taking as much as the battery charger could recharge.
I then ensured that I put the Waeco on 240 volt while the generator was on which solved the problem.
My concern is with running a fridge from your caravan batteries whilst driving would create the same problem.
My understanding is that running your caravan fridge from an Anderson plug doesn't go through your caravan batteries which also allows them to recharge from your motor vehicle.
Or am I completely on the wrong track?????

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Just thought that I would relate my experience with a Waeco fridge whilst free camping.
I was running the Waeco off 12 volt from the van 24 hrs each day. Each day I would connect the Honda 2 kva generator to the van for a few hours to recharge the batteries (2x120amp).
However after a few days I noticed that my batteries were not recovering and we're getting to a dangerous level, less than 10 volts.
A friend pointed out that as I continued to run the fridge off the batteries whilst the generator was running that the batteries were not getting a chance to recharge ie the fridge was taking as much as the battery charger could recharge.
I then ensured that I put the Waeco on 240 volt while the generator was on which solved the problem.
My concern is with running a fridge from your caravan batteries whilst driving would create the same problem.
My understanding is that running your caravan fridge from an Anderson plug doesn't go through your caravan batteries which also allows them to recharge from your motor vehicle.
Or am I completely on the wrong track?????

Yes it's best to try and reduce or eliminate the load on the battery when charging.

You may also need a DC to DC charger that can boost the charge rate.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
My DIY Ability - Heck I'll give it a go.

Appreciate your comments. and the Link to Baintech, looks like good gear.

once you have a look at what you think you may need, then comes the good part
finding it at the right price

but

once you know what you want, it is easier then to search for bargains etc............