Starcraft 17.58-3 Pre Purchase Questions

Panda 1756

Aug 18, 2014
Victoria
  • Hi Everyone, am getting very close to ordering a 17.58-3, OB (this is after owning a 2014 17.56-1 Expanda, then a 19ft triple bunker) I really want an toilet/shower. We are restricted by shed size, which the 17.58-3 does fit, as did the Expanda.
  • Have a couple of questions, I have 3 x boys, 4-10yo. So 3rd one will be sleeping on table. Has anyone bought the bed converter? A few have told me it's a waste of money, and just get a piece of foam mattress for the space. The table actually forms the base of the bed right, so i'm paying $300 for their cushion basically?
  • Keen to hear from other families who have this van with 3 kids, I'm worried that it's too small.
  • If we don't buy one of these, it will be an onroad 21 or 23 ft triple bunker with toilet/shower. Which is getting pretty big for us to tow. We have a 2014 Ranger, so not worried about vehicle, but just like to tow smaller rather than bigger. Also it wont fit in shed, so will be out in weather all year round.
  • If we get a bike rack on the rear, and mount the spare on the rear, i'm told that the bikes are too high to easily reach, is this true?
  • Apologies if this is not in the right forum section, but keen to hear feedback from people who already have this van.

Reactions: FiveInAVan

Fabulous

Feb 26, 2013
Melbourne
We have a 17.58-3, love the van, however only have 1 child who sleeps on the bottom bunk. We got the Bed converter, but from memory it was a board as well as removable table, and the cushion, the cushions at the table are also flat and not contoured. We have a bike rack, the spare tyre is on the 'A' frame, bike rack is a fair height.

Hope this helps

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
We had the 17-56-1 as well before the 17-58-3 and love it but we only have the 2 kids so no help with the converter unfortunately. I think a piece of ply and some foam would be fine and with a sheet over it no one would pick it. You could possibly turn the base around so the raised bit goes under the the seat back to make it flatter. We didn't want to go any bigger either.

FiveInAVan

Sep 17, 2015
Brisbane, QLD
We just got ours last week and bought the bed convertor. I will be sleeping on it with my not quite 2yo. It isn't too bad. I fit with bent knees quite comfortably (she is still co-sleeping but hopefully not for much longer). It comes with a board and cushion and the brackets for the board to sit on. The table is bigger than the bed conversion board and the cushion is slightly smaller than the base seat cushions but looks the same. I added a foam topper as it is a little firm compared to the other mattresses and this way I can roll it up if we want to use the table. It works out to be a king single size in width (but conversion is shorter in length). Both table and conversion fit under the main bed. I wanted an ensuite which is why we went with this van instead of a triple bunk.
Target foam topper in queen size cut in half for added thickness
20160617_094259.jpg
King single mattress protector and then fitted king single sheet over top (not pictured)
20160617_094515.jpg
My children are 11, 7 and a toddler.
We didn't get bike rack so can't comment. We will just use scooters. Will let you know after our first trip how it goes for space but I can't see it being too small. We will live mainly outside and sleep inside. Obviously if we are rained in I may say otherwise lol but not sure any van is big enough for 3 kids for an extended period of time stuck inside!

Last edited:

FiveInAVan

Sep 17, 2015
Brisbane, QLD
@17triton I am pretty sure they are flat as when conversion is in place it is flat. Why aren't yours? We pulled the base cushion out to check size with the conversion cushion. Base cushion a tad wider. Both have velcro on bottom even though the conversion velcro isn't used.

Panda 1756

Aug 18, 2014
Victoria
We have a 17.58-3, love the van, however only have 1 child who sleeps on the bottom bunk. We got the Bed converter, but from memory it was a board as well as removable table, and the cushion, the cushions at the table are also flat and not contoured. We have a bike rack, the spare tyre is on the 'A' frame, bike rack is a fair height.

Hope this helps
Thanks for your response, so from the sounds of it, they use different seat cushions when you order bed converter, so they are not contoured, that was my concern, but obviously its not so.

Reactions: Fabulous

Panda 1756

Aug 18, 2014
Victoria
We had the 17-56-1 as well before the 17-58-3 and love it but we only have the 2 kids so no help with the converter unfortunately. I think a piece of ply and some foam would be fine and with a sheet over it no one would pick it. You could possibly turn the base around so the raised bit goes under the the seat back to make it flatter. We didn't want to go any bigger either.
Thanks Guys, I don't think it will fit under the back seat cushions if turned around. Being a local, Did you buy from Ballarat?

Panda 1756

Aug 18, 2014
Victoria
Gday @Panda 1756 , this wont help your selection, though can I suggest the 17.56-2.

-Same size as your 1st expanda
-Covers your sleeping arrangements
-Its has the ensuite,
-It'll fit into your shed
and wait for it, you wont need to alter your username, LOL. Pace.
haha, lol. I have considered it, but I think I'm over "bed ends"..... and I think there is more storage in the starcrafts, ? but thanks anyway. :)

Panda 1756

Aug 18, 2014
Victoria
We just got ours last week and bought the bed convertor. I will be sleeping on it with my not quite 2yo. It isn't too bad. I fit with bent knees quite comfortably (she is still co-sleeping but hopefully not for much longer). It comes with a board and cushion and the brackets for the board to sit on. The table is bigger than the bed conversion board and the cushion is slightly smaller than the base seat cushions but looks the same. I added a foam topper as it is a little firm compared to the other mattresses and this way I can roll it up if we want to use the table. It works out to be a king single size in width (but conversion is shorter in length). Both table and conversion fit under the main bed. I wanted an ensuite which is why we went with this van instead of a triple bunk.
Target foam topper in queen size cut in half for added thickness
View attachment 42794
King single mattress protector and then fitted king single sheet over top (not pictured)
View attachment 42795
My children are 11, 7 and a toddler.
We didn't get bike rack so can't comment. We will just use scooters. Will let you know after our first trip how it goes for space but I can't see it being too small. We will live mainly outside and sleep inside. Obviously if we are rained in I may say otherwise lol but not sure any van is big enough for 3 kids for an extended period of time stuck inside!
had to laugh, when you said no van is large enough on a wet day. Too True!

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
17.58 table does not fit in space which is a pain. So the $300 is flat cushions and peice of board. as mentioned. Some more pics.
We brought a 17.58-1 with 4 kids and moved up to a 22.68-1 as needed the loo :)
Pic of the convertor (ie cut piece of wood :) ) the spare Cushion is the same as the other two
with the 17.58 the seat backs did not come off for extra length where our 22.68 does. Not sure if its a option?
img_4672-jpg.jpg
img_4673-jpg.jpg

Panda 1756

Aug 18, 2014
Victoria
So, found a 2015 model at a dealer close enough, (2hrs away) and can get all extras we want on it. $2k less than ordering a 2016 model and waiting. Only difference colors and decals. It's a no brainer right? take the 2015 model....

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
Cupboards/latches are different as well. Depends when in 2015 they changed to wireless lights sometime then and the windows changed.
Also I think they moved down the dinette window so you can open the door and window now.
Some of those above can chime in on what changed? we had a 2014 17.58 :(
I push for more of a saving myself, we brought our 2015 22.68 floor stock in 2015 instead of waiting :) saved a bit.
Its last years model so over 12 months old they should be able to do more then $2k

Pauly

Aug 25, 2013
Gyday,
We just took delivery of a 17.58.3 and have the bike rack above the rear spare wheel I reach (6') to put bikes on no problem, thought I may have needed to stand on the rear bar ,but nope. We also have the bed converter our 6&8 year olds fit easily but their 13 yo niece not a chance .
Goldstream just released a very similar layout that looks good, it has a club lounge so may be longer when converted to a bed .