17.56-1 or 2

steveandgaye

Jan 21, 2012
Sydney
We to are in discussions with a Jayco dealer about a 17 foot Expanda Outback.
However my wife and I are still undecided if we go with the toilet version or not.

I would be interested to understand the views of owners of both versions to understand their reasons for not choosing the van with or without the toilet?
Steve

Capt. Gadget

Obsessive & Compulsive Gadget Man
Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
Hi steveandgaye we chose the toilet model for a couple of reasons we tend to do a bit of bush camping and some of the stations we have been on insist you have a chemical toilet the other reason is its handy for me to have a toilet close by when traveling, I suffer from Crohn's disease and on several occasions have had to make a rather hasty detour to find a dunny.

kimlouise

Jan 19, 2012
Mornington Peninsula, Victoria
We have just ordered a -1, due to be delivered in May. We have upgraded from a Eagle camping trailer. We added the option of the outdoor shower and hot water service with the extra water tank as we thought it would be better for the kids returning all sandy in their wetsuits from the beach. I liked the idea of having more storage space too. We like to camp in Nat parks but the weather is usually warm enough to shower outside or we are in caravan parks with adequate facilities. I am on holidays and don't want to have to think about cleaning showers and toilets. Our theory is that although the expanda is super comfy we still like to feel like we are actually camping. Otherwise we could have spent our money on cabins at parks instead.
Having said that, we rented a camper in NZ and loved the shower because it was sooooo cold outside. I guess it just depends on your stage of life and where you intend to set up your rig for the majority of the time. In the end it comes down to personal choice. Good luck, there is so much to consider.
Kimlouise

Doogle

Mar 18, 2011
Melbourne, Victoria
Hi Steve,
We decided on the non-toilet/shower model as we preferred the extra kitchen/bench space and cupboard in lieu of having a shower/toilet inside the van.
We are unlikely to ever free camp and whenever we stay at a caravan park we often try to get an ensuite site where available...but if that's not possible we'll walk to the toilet or shower when needed....which is also why we opted for the non-outback model.
To us, it was quite an easy decision, but if you will free camp (which by the fact you are looking at the outback model suggests you may be) and a shower/toilet inside the van would be a considerable benefit to you and the family then I'd suggest the -2 version might best suit you.

It is also worth noting that the -2 OB model will be approx 150kg heavier than the -1 OB model....not sure what you are towing with or if this is of any concern to you but thought it worth mentioning.

Dave

linrod

Jan 3, 2012
Inverloch, Victoria
Hi Steve,
We too have opted for the 17.56.1 due early March. It was never a consideration of ours to have a toilet and shower in the van. I can see the pros and cons though, but for my situation the extra bench space and wardrobe (which I have selves in) was way more appropriate. We are a family of 6, with the kids being 9,7,3 & 6 months and I still prefer the non toilet model. All the parks we have stayed in have had excellent facilities and there is always the option of an ensuite site.
Good luck with the decision
Cheers Linda

bigman0510

Apr 9, 2011
Moranbah, Queensland, Australia
moranbahweather.com
We go free camping a fair bit, I wouldn't go with anything else but the 17.56-2 but, that suits my needs with 3 kids. You have to look at many factors, I love my shower, its awesome, all our friends are so jealous when we go camping. Our kids have a shower right before they hop into bed, no travelling to shower blocks in parks or setting up external showers when camping.

Jan 24, 2012
adelaide
my wife wanted one,i didnt you no wasted space,couldve had another bench etc...best thing ever,quick shower then jump in bed.i use the shower all the time, havent used toilet yet

randl007

Oct 27, 2011
Queensland
We have gone the shower option for all the reasons everyone else does. We have done the outside showers etc but if you spending that money a little luxury is deserved

MolongMick

Oct 6, 2011
NSW
We thought (my wife) that the shower version would suit us better as we like to do a fair share of bush camping, trying to find places with water and toilets can be at time difficult. We too have little ones aged 9,8 and 5, who often need to visit the loo at night, so for us it was convenience and some what of a safety factor, plus there was that luxury component as well.

Jim and Tab

Jul 29, 2011
Bendigo Victoria
when we updated from the hawk 1 thing we wanted was the shower/toilet
we love to free/cheap camp when ever we can
since our new van(around 5 months)we havnt stayed in a van park yet.
its so nice having a shower and going to bed.
also im a diabetic so 5 times a night for the toilet isnt unusual so having it onboard is much better
after our first trip away and diamond(11 year old daughter)getting dirty and needing a shower we also installed an out side shower
to save dragging dirt/wetness inside.
because theres only 3 of us were lucky to fill all the storage spaces so extra bench space wasnt a hastle
cheers jim-tab and diamond

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Shower/toilet as it saves wandering to the loo in the middle of the night in cold weather when at CP's, and bush camping it is a must for my wife. A shower each night before bed is just so good when bush camping.

Krisjer

Dec 27, 2011
Perth, WA
we went the shower/toilet model as with two little boys, it's convenient to not have to be walking thru the park at stupid oclock in the dark, it also gives us the option of free camping if we ever want to do it. Sometimes we can't get an ensuite site as they're all booked, so this way we can still get a powered site, yet still have the privacy of our own toilet and shower. Wouldn't change it for quids!

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
We have the 16'' with a toilet/shower and for the added convenience it is a winner for us. We do a lot of bush/free camping so its a real bonus. We do also stay at some CP's but dont use the shower there but the toilet gets used at night.

I would not hesitate getting it again. As for taking up storage and bench space it hasn't posed to much of a problem either.

I guess it also depends like others have whether you stay mostly at Cp's or bush camp, if bush camping or even staying in a road side stop a toilet/shower is a convenince.

Good luck with your decision, it is a tough one.

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
We usually have the shower / toilet.....

On our last trip, 5 weeks away in van parks we didn't have the shower toilet and it was a nightmare.

The kids needed to go two and three times a night constant wake up and take to the toilet.

SWMBO has demanded we now have shower / toilet for the night in the discovery.

Worst of all is when its raining and the toilet is a fair way away make sure you keep an umbrella / rain coat for the dash :)....

andrea

Nov 9, 2011
Brisbane
We opted for the shower/toilet model. Wouldn't change a thing. We have 1.5 year old and 7 year old. The 1.5 year old is just starting toilet training (could you imagine running to the amenity block every 30 minutes for nothing!). We spent 6 nights in the van last week and used the shower and toilet daily. I calculated that we would get 32 minutes out of both tanks (seems to run at 5l/min). This gives us about 3 days with washing up, washing hands and quick showers (turned off while we soap up). When we are in the caravan park we just connect to the tap so don't have to worry about the amount of water we're using. We still used our ensuite when we stayed in a caravan park. Storage hasn't been a problem for us... we still have plenty of storage spaces we haven't even used yet.

steveandgaye

Jan 21, 2012
Sydney
O

Thanks to the number of responses to my question re the model with the toilet or not.
I appreciate all the personal scenarios that supported everyone's model selection.
Quite a few very interesting points to consider eg. Ability to free camp, stowage capacity, bad weather and late night personal requirements, bench space, etc...
We have two teenagers and after reviewing the different layouts, the version without the toilet has differently more stowage space especially for clothes.
Has this been an issue or do believe based on the number of smaller cupboards we would get by?
Steve

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
When we ordered our van the 17.56-2 was the only model available. After we realised that it was lacking in space for 2A/3C for an extended holiday we asked if we could delete the shower/toilet combo and instal a double wardrobe in its place. Jayco said they could, so we did. At the time of ordering my kids were 11, 8 & 6, so the midnight toilet trips were far gone. We travelled with another family that had 2 girls aged 6 & 5, so they kept the toilet and used it most nights for the girls but they rarely used the shower.

For us, the space was more important.

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
It comes down to personal choice.

We have 2 kids (15 & 12) so 4 of us in total. 17.56-2 plenty of room for us. We were alright on a 3 week trip over xmas.

I tend to think the more storage you have the more likely you are to fill it with stuff you never/rarely use.

Deano

Aug 10, 2011
Bargara, Qld
We are taking delivery of a 17.56.2 OB and opted for the shower toilet option as we think it will suit our needs. The midnight dash does not fit to well. The space option will not be an issue when we have the annexe up. Good for resale, I guess. Good luck with your decision.
Cheers Deano