16' Series 1649 Outback Expanda Wheels and Tow Hitch

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Since the cable is not tensioned when driving I don't think its an issue....................... If i missed it are we talking about single or dual axles ?????

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Thats the go, I would go for an LR for each tyre then of about 70% of your GTM ........ we can get technical though as the max LR of a tyre is achieved at max psi, but thats another can of worms.....but 70% should mean that your tyres are rated to over 40% of the wheel load any more would be a bit academic as the LR for just 2 rims would only be about 1.2t each, higher LR rims are available and costly, go for a mine rated rim though.

When I replaced the suspension on my 14.44 I found the original rims were 1t each for a van of 1850kg with original tyres that were underated, replaced with 15" steel RoH's, rated at 1140kgs I think, a bargain 2nd hand, tyres were upped in LR and to 225's I think, gave a better ride all round and if I whacked a good hole I didn't have to worry about a dodgy Indonesian alloy rim folding up on me. Shop around the less aggressive tread the better and buy on special, a good deal will get you a tyre at under $200 each.

Last edited:

renegade

May 7, 2019
sydney
Thanks again Drover.
I'll take my spare down to the local tyre shop and go from there.
Thanks for you time and advice.
Regards
Peter

Reactions: Drover

1DayIll

Apr 26, 2016
South Morang, Victoria
do you know if i will raise your van at all? i have a16-49-1 and have been told before to try 16 inch rather than undersling as it may just give that bit of extra lift i need.

renegade

May 7, 2019
sydney
Hi mate, it will only increase the height slightly (7 or so mm) as the tyre diameter is only going increase by 15mm as I'm going to use a 70 series tyre.

renegade

May 7, 2019
sydney
Hi Guys,

I have strengthened the kitchen drawer slides, replaced some of the cabinet screws and have glued all of them.
Have any of you had any issues with the upper cupboards coming loose whilst travelling on a dirt road like the Oodnadatta Track?

Thanks

Peter

renegade

May 7, 2019
sydney
Hi Guy's,

I would just like to thank everyone who offered some advice to help me prepare my Expanda for our trip to Central Australia.

We travelled just over 7200kms, 1300 of them were off the black top.

The van come through pretty well, with only a few stone chips on the front left and right sides.

We travelled on the dirt through the Flinders Ranges, Oodnanatta Track, Painted Desert Road and the Merrenie Loop.

The Painted Desert Road was the worst due to some heavy corrugations for about a 3rd of it. Other than that, all the other tracks were quite good.

Thanks again!

Now I just have to replace the brakes and wheel bearings and prepare for the next trip.

Regards

Peter

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Well thats good news, always good when no dramas..................

Measure the shoes and drums before replacing them, they may not really need replacing, same as your bearings if the wheel isn't clunking or bearings growling probably no need to replace, they should last nearly the life of the van, most vans have bearing trouble because of bad servicing and thats by DiY or mechanics, if checked before and after each trip they should give years and thousands of Kms of use, mine have done probably 40,000km or more with the odd adjustment when I pull the brakes off for a clean and measure which is around the 15,000km mark.........

renegade

May 7, 2019
sydney
Thanks Drover.
I replaced the wheel bearings about 12 months ago and have travelled about 15000kms. I understand that they probably don't need replacing, but for $200 I will for peace of mind, I have been bitten on the arse before with a boat trailer.
As for the pads and magnets, I will check the condition of them and go from there.
Regards
Peter

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
$200 is a lot of money I buy them from a bearing shop for about $25 a set but if your getting someone to do it for you then make sure you check them after about a 2 hr drive thats why they usually fail, the bearings need to bed in after fitting but your your tugs bearings have travelled the same distance and the bearings are the same.....if your shoes and magnets need replacing then use someone else to do the work as they didn't do much of a job last time.

Boat trailers are a totally differnt kettle of fish, they fail because they rarely get looked at, actually Vans do for the same reason.

If you get someone (don't use a dealer) to do your wheels then check wheel nuts are done up before you move it ( enough wheels have fallen off, just ask on here) when you get home jack up wheel and give it the shake test to make sure they have bedded in nicely, if they weren't they will clunk....... not having a go at all but like to see folks have trouble free touring, I check Big Mals wheels at least once on a trip, our trips are usually 8,000km or so, I just don't want the hassle of changing bearings while on the road... I'm retired and don't like w*^k or grease nowadays.

renegade

May 7, 2019
sydney
Thanks Drover.
I bought the Alko 2t bearing kit online last year and replaced the bearings myself. I couldn't find the rear seals locally and thought it would be easier to buy the kit.
As for the brakes, the van is 5 years old and at a guess would have travelled 50000kms. I will check them and go from there.
I use a torque wrench to tighten the wheel nuts and check them after a few hundred kms.
Once again, thanks for the advice!