16' Series 1649 Outback Expanda Wheels and Tow Hitch

renegade

May 7, 2019
sydney
Hi Guys,

I have a 2014 Outback Expanda and I'm planning a trip later in the year to Uluru via the Oonandatta Track and was looking some advice on the following.

I have started looking at replacing the tyres and have discovered that they are border line on capacity. Tyres currently on the van are GT Radial Adventuro AT 2 LT235 x 75 x 15 110. Each tyre has a load rating of 1060kg. Increasing the wheel size to 16" will enable the following tyres to be fitted 245 x 75 x 16, with a load rating of 120 (1400kg).
Is there any issues in changing up to 16" wheels?

Is the standard 50mm ball coupling ok to tracks like Oonandatta or should I be looking at something like the Alko 50mm ball offroad coupling.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Peter

Reactions: turbopsi

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
The Oodnadatta Track is a dirt road. No need for an off road hitch of any type.
The only issue Isee with the change in wheels and tyres you propose is the difference in rolling diameter. I haven’t checked it but if you have an annexe it “may” be a little short if the new wheel and tyre combo are taller. It also might be negligible.

renegade

May 7, 2019
sydney
Thanks MDS69.
I was thinking if I changed to 16” wheels, I could put 70 instead of 75 series tyres on, which only increase the wheel OD by 17mm and give me an extra 90kg per tyre.
The annexe would be ok with the 70 series tyres.
I’m not sure if I’m over thinking things increasing the tyre load capacity and changing to an off-road hitch.
Just looking for some advice from some more experienced caravaners than myself.
Regards
Peter

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
First off using an online wheel size comparison calculator check the size of your 16" wheel with tyre and do a measurement of your wheel cavity, if you keep the same off set rims size then the sides should be okay and I would hazard a guess that going to a 70 profile wont increase the actually wheel height enough to worry about .............. I would go for a set of steel rims just make sure they aren't chinese and are mine rated, these will give better LR and a are better than alloy, tyres go for a well known brand of LT tyre, a mild AT pattern, the aggressive off rod pattern is just for looks and is of little use on a trailer and will wear quicker, a known brand will handle the rigors of van life, namely sitting around doing nothing better than the heap charlies and will give you your 5 yr life better.
The wheels size you mentioned , if I have read the calculator correctly going to a 75 profile will raise you 40mm while going to a 70 profile will only add 15mm to your height compared to your 15" 75 profile wheel........increasing your height too much will throw out your hitch height on tug and another can of worms, go the 70 profile.

https://www.tyresizecalculator.com/tyre-wheel-calculators/tire-size-calculator-tire-dimensions

Unless your going to do the Telegraph Track then a standard 50mm ball is fine ....

Reactions: MDS69

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Firestone do ok tyres made to bridgestone specs in that size at a good price but have to check load specs but i think will suit

renegade

May 7, 2019
sydney
Thanks very much for the feedback Drover and Bluey.

How do the think the Expanda will hold up on Oonandatta Track if I lower the tyre pressure and drive sensibly?

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
No probs id say its not a bad road these days but depending on weather and possible corrugations but take it easy you'll be fine many vans do it ive draged mine on some horrible dirt roads like the old pooncarrie road no damage done crusty draged his on the gibb river road

carco

Jan 20, 2019
Gympie
If you do change wheel/tyres, be sure to select a popular over the counter size for ease of replacement. The tyre shop in Kununurra for example, has a great range but once you go for something rare, you’d have to wait for a delivery, can get really expensive.

jazzeddie1234

May 19, 2016
Mandurah
No probs id say its not a bad road these days but depending on weather and possible corrugations but take it easy you'll be fine many vans do it ive draged mine on some horrible dirt roads like the old pooncarrie road no damage done crusty draged his on the gibb river road

My repair kit from Bunnings after many kms of dirt roads:

Box of matches & tube of pva glue (for filling screw holes that pull out of cabinets)
Selection of screws about 10mm long (to replace useless/lost screws in cabinets)
Selection of plastic L corners (to replace the busted ones on cabinet corners)
Tube of silicon (reseal stuff like windows where the mastic has squeezed out)
Tube of aqua epoxy putty (to reinforce weird shapes like my shower door hinge)

:car:

renegade

May 7, 2019
sydney
Thanks Bluey, cargo and jazzeddie.
I will be selecting a well known brand of tyre.
I will do as much prep to the van as I can before hitting the track like dust proofing, removing a glueing all cabinet screws, changing wheel bearings, check and grease suspension, fitting protection to underside of the van.
Thanks Peter

Reactions: Bluey

Andre307

May 18, 2016
Adelaide
I have a feeling the Jayco 16” wheel upgrade for my van was 245/70r16. Ive got the same 15” as you so I expect the 70s would be no issue fitting as it was likely a factory option.
Agree with @Drover to go with a mild AT pattern. I feel the factory tyres are even a bit aggressive and too open a tread.

renegade

May 7, 2019
sydney
Thanks Andre.
Do you know if they were a 7” rim?

Guys,
What do you think of Bridgestone D697 tyres for the van?

Regards

Peter

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Thanks Andre.

Guys,

Regards

Peter
They are a great tyre got them on prado and soon to on cruiser be putting firestones on my van fair bit cheaper but still a good tyre but the 697s very good i still good good tread on most of my tyres but i want to change them

Andre307

May 18, 2016
Adelaide
Thanks Andre.

Guys,

Regards

Peter
I don’t know for sure but 245 is generally the recommended tyre width for 7” wide rims so I’d say they would be.
Agree on the d697 good tyre, have the toyo open country 2 myself on the tug happy with those too.

renegade

May 7, 2019
sydney
Thanks again Bluey and Andre.

I'll look into the D697's. I just read that you can get them in 245x70x16 with a load rating of 118R, 1320kg per tyre.

I have a Prado as well and they look like a good option for it as well, plenty of good reveiws.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I run the 697's on my Ute, same size went for them as they were on special and they come in LT in that size, I find them pretty good but doubt I will see 70,000kkm out of them , I run Yokahama Geolanders on Big Mal (265 75x16) again bought on a special deal, the Geolanders are a brilliant tyre would have put them on Ute but in 245 70x16 they are not in LT sadly, they would give over 70K.................... The tread on the 697 is about as aggressive as you want to go on a van, even then I would rotate the tyres regularly................. The more aggressive tread the more wear you will get on the rear tyres as they drag when turning, the tighter the turn the more drag, thats why if you park/stop on the turn move forward/back so the tyres settle back, if you look at the tyres when turning you will find them rolling over a bit as they drag.

For your van a 7" or 7.5" for a 245 x 16 tyre is okay...............Make sure you go an LT tyre they will have a higher max pressure than a P rated tyre , don't follow the pressure on the van compliance plate either it won'y apply to tyres other than the original, even then I wouldn't.

If unsure of the current rim offset or cant make out the markings just place a steel rule across the rim and measure from it to the inner face of the wheel hub, do the same with the ones you want to buy, then you know for sure, if you measure from the outer edge of the hub on van to the outer face of the chassis on van, horizontal measure, take 30mm from the figure and that will give you the clearance you need with a tyre fitted, you may find you can use a rim set with a different off set, thats what I found anyway............best to drag your spare with you when you go shopping.
Not to forget that your new spare may not fit in its rack if you have a draw bar spot.

Just carry the glue for the cupboard screws and fix them as they fall out....

Dust proofing, check all cupboards etc for open gaps where cables/pipes run thru and seal them, make sure rear of fridge is sealed from internal of van (well as good as you an see from vents), don't cover the vents, leave them open, put plugs in drains or cap the outlet will stop a venturi effect happening as you drive down the road and a low pressure zone in van.

renegade

May 7, 2019
sydney
Thanks very much for the info Drover.

Very good point regarding the spare fitting in the rack on the draw bar, that didn’t even cross my mind.

I had a quick look and might need to move it back towards the van slightly.

Regards

Peter

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
If you dig around there are some good threads for slinging it underneath at the back, on the bar is just a pain.

renegade

May 7, 2019
sydney
Hi Drover, unfortunately the spare will have to stay on the draw bar at this stage, I have a rack for the kids kayaks underneath the rear.

Thanks again.

Reactions: Drover

renegade

May 7, 2019
sydney
Hi Guys,

The current rims on my van are 15 x 6" with a -9 offset, running a 235x75x15" tyre.
I have been doing some research on 16" rims and tyres and have found the following.
I have looked at CSA, ROH and Speedy Wheels as they I have been told they are Australian made.
Out of the 3 brands the only rim that I think may work is a Speedy Territory 16 x 7" with a 0 offset, these have a 1400kg weight rating.
The only issue I can see is it will bring the tyre closer to the hand brake cable by about 20mm, leaving 10 - 12 mm clearance.
As for tyres, I have a few more choices in 245x70x16. Bridgestone D697, Toyo Open Country AT2 and Cooper AT3 LT all have a load rating of 118R and BFG K02 have a load rating of 113S.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Peter