Lukeyboy

Jan 12, 2017
Victoria
Hi I'm thinking about purchasing a Jayco 16.49-4 but modifying it to be similar to the Jayco Sport concept with folding bunk beds, but with a rear drop down tailgate (like a work n play) instead of the rear door.

I'm just wondering if anybody has priced a modification like this before or has actually got a modification like this?

I currently have 3 children so I figured I could have a drop down table to sleep everyone in the caravan.

Obviously the load weight would still be the same as any 16 foot Jayco expanda (300kg) but with the fold down tail gate it would allow me to load something like a small quad bike for the kids and have an additional annex off the back of the van (like a work n play).

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Interesting concept.

You'd lose the rear tunnel as the bed end area, when removed, would have to be enlarged considerably...sounds like lots of work and significant $$$$.

I'd be hounding @Wanda in the hope that one might come on the market in the near future.

(I've only just heard of the expanda sports ....and that @Wanda has one of two made)

Sorry @Wanda !!!

Lukeyboy

Jan 12, 2017
Victoria
the structural integrity is the thing to be careful of

and how to engineer it without going over board
it could be do-able
but is it worth it?
Yeah that's what I'm wondering... It may be a good excuse to sell the SUV for a dual cab and put the quad bike in the back of the ute

Reactions: Delano

Wanda

Jun 22, 2013
Adelaide
Interesting concept.

You'd lose the rear tunnel as the bed end area, when removed, would have to be enlarged considerably...sounds like lots of work and significant $$$$.

I'd be hounding @Wanda in the hope that one might come on the market in the near future.

(I've only just heard of the expanda sports ....and that @Wanda has one of two made)

Sorry @Wanda !!!

:jaw: What! part with our Sport.......not likely!! :biggrin-26:

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
Yeah that's what I'm wondering... It may be a good excuse to sell the SUV for a dual cab and put the quad bike in the back of the ute

then you have another problem

who in their right mind is going to drive a Quad up a set of ramps onto the back of a 4WD ute..............
or
if you add a small hiab or such to pick up bike and put in the back - that weight is gunna come off your Vehicle........

........................................................................................

maybe have to have a look at Work N Play / Basestation

or..................

easier to do than modify the rear end..........

seeing about an extended front, and park the bike on the draw bar
I have seen some camper trailers like that

Reactions: Delano and dagree

Wanda

Jun 22, 2013
Adelaide
:jaw: What! part with our Sport.......not likely!! :biggrin-26:
How did you manage to get your hands on one?

Right place, right time and lots of luck @Lukeyboy !!I
We came across the van back in 2013 on the Jayco http://australiancaravans.com.au/community/rv-life-club/ website.
They were asking people for their opinions of it. The prototype was being taken to the caravan and camping shows up and down the east coast to get public reactions and was pimped :rockon:with every option you could think of.
http://australiancaravans.com.au/library/03/2013/concept-jayco-expanda-sport/ (this was the van Hamish22 purchased)
We never actually got to see it in the flesh only the photo's on the website but it was just a variation of the other 16.49 vans so we had a pretty good idea of what it would look like. So we took the plunge, crossed out fingers and after a few phone calls from Jayco here in Adelaide to Jayco head office we got the go ahead to put in our order. I don't know how we jagged it but must have just been right timing before they pulled the plug on it and decided not to go into production.

Last edited:

Wanda

Jun 22, 2013
Adelaide

Just what we do IMG_0317.JPG normally we have 2 bikes in the back. Jack knife the van and roll the bikes off on a ramp. We don't even have to unhitch.

Boyto

Jan 10, 2017
Stroud NSW
welcome to the forum @Boyto ,
so you brought @hamish22 's Van hey
a nice rig
Thanks for the welcome bigcol.
Yes it is, been very well looked after a credit to him. I wanted a worknplay but the wife didn't like the layout. Then we found this one through a friend and it's perfect, bit trickier to get the bikes in but overall a better fit for us.

hamish22

May 12, 2013
West of Newcastle
www.grmotorsport.com.au
Yes it is, been very well looked after a credit to him. I wanted a worknplay but the wife didn't like the layout. Then we found this one through a friend and it's perfect, bit trickier to get the bikes in but overall a better fit for us.
Hey @Boyto !
You don't need to buy Expanda Downunder stickers!:D:D:D
Welcome to the forum, you will get plenty of info here!

@Lukeyboy sounds like a lot of work and a fair drain on the wallet!

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Hey @Boyto !
You don't need to buy Expanda Downunder stickers!:D:D:D
Welcome to the forum, you will get plenty of info here!

@Lukeyboy sounds like a lot of work and a fair drain on the wallet!
That friend being me...small world hey! Welcome @Boyto :)