16.49-1b mods

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Now that I have worked out the magic of image attachments, I thought I would put up some of the mods on my expanda.

Directional LED lights over table.
IMG1760-M.jpg

Grab handle higher up door so that we stop pulling on the curtains to close the door.
IMG1766-M.jpg

Weather proof bed end surrounds.
IMG1764-M.jpg

Rear vision camera set up to be on always within the car whilst driving. Beats the pants off a set of mirrors!! The screen sits over the rear vision mirror in the car. So I naturally look up anyway as if I would normally do to see what is behind me.
IMG1763-M.jpg

TV shelf for remote / DVDs etc sandwiched between two shelves in cupboard.
IMG1757-M.jpg

IMG1758-M.jpg

I got tired going back to Jayco every time an overhead cupboard broke because of the tight spring loaded struts. So I changed them all over.
IMG1754-M.jpg

Baby Jail. This is attached to the fold out bed end brackets by bolts so that it can easily be removed again.
The base sits in place because it is wedged between the foam mattress and the side of the cupboard.
IMG1751-M.jpg

NissPat

Jul 30, 2011
ACT
Excellent ideas there Brad...I'll make sure I don't show the missus as I'll then have to do some work...LOL

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Well done, Brad. Impressed with the cupboard struts as I find they are hard to control opening and closing with only the button knob to hold. Mind me asking where from and how much? :fear:

Thanks

Paul

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
I think the price was about $7 each. But because I purchased so many of them at one time they gave me a 10% discount. Award RV is around the corner from me. They are online. But I bet discounts are easier to negotiate face to face.
I added two struts per cupboard door. The doors are sooo much more stable now when you push on the door. It also meant that I had to add a small wooden block to the inside of the bed end overhead cupboard so that I had something to attach the struts to.

Reactions: chartrock

ckcklopic

Aug 11, 2011
Melbourne
Hi Brad, Mods look great. I especially like the grab rail and the waterproof screens. Did you make the screens or buy them? If purchased may i ask where from.
Cheers
Kim

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Got the screens made by ADP canvas in Kilsyth.
They are velcroed to the Jayco privacy covers and the privacy covers have been reinforced with more press studs.
I am amazed what a difference it makes to keeping the cold out in winter and likewise keeps the van cooler easier in summer when the aircon is on.
If I did these again though, I would ask for Velcro down the sides so that I could remove part of an end to allow a breeze to come through of a night.

Also, the covers are heavy so I upgraded the gas struts. It is not absolutely necessary to do this though.

ckcklopic

Aug 11, 2011
Melbourne
Hi Brad, one more question regarding the waterproof screen if you don't mind. Do you have to remove them to close the bed end? Thanks Kim

PRADO KEV

Feb 22, 2012
Mornington Peninsula
Weather proof bed ends

Hi Brad

I have just had my first 3 nights in my 2012 14.44.5 expanda and survived the deluge at Philip Island . I have making enquires regarding the weather proof bed ends hence I was searching the site and came across your modifications. Could you answer a couple of questions for me. Who did the PVC bed ends? Are they attached using the contact points for the original privacy screens ? Did the manufacturer of the screens use the original privacy screens as a template ? And if it's not to rude roughly how much. Now that autumn/winter is approaching I am looking for ways to protect the canvas while vanning in the wetter months.

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
ADP caravan services in Bayswater is where we purchased them.
They are attached to the existing contact points plus a few extra spots.
The privacy bed ends had a strip of Velcro sewn on and the new covers attached to that.
The result was fantastic but it was heavy and I decided to upgrade the gas struts also.
The ends were around $400 and gas struts $200.
The existing privacy screens were used as a template.

When our new van arrives we are going to do this slightly different.
1. We have not ordered the jayco screens.
2. We are going to ask ADP to make up another set with the same look but add in zips around the PVC windows.
3. Add the same privacy screen fabric behind the zip panel PVC screens.

Hopefully this reduces the weight ever so slightly which I think will remove the requirement for the gas strut upgrade.

Cootay

Jul 15, 2012
Engadine, NSW
Brad, can you tell me the brand of your "baby jail", been searching for something similar with a gate, otherwise I'll have to try and modify something.....(generally not a good idea as I spend most of my day behind a keyboard)

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Brad, can you tell me the brand of your "baby jail", been searching for something similar with a gate, otherwise I'll have to try and modify something.....(generally not a good idea as I spend most of my day behind a keyboard)
Hey Cootay Brad hasn't been online for sometime but I have a feeling he made it up.

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Hi there Cootay. Yep it has been a while since I have been on line.
I did make it up. Still have it and do not want it. If you want it you can have it.

Cootay

Jul 15, 2012
Engadine, NSW
Thanks for the offer Brad, I just purchased a 'jail' set from ebay and will have a crack at modifying it to fit the bunk.

Antman

Jul 18, 2012
Brisbane
almcrae.blogspot.com.au
Rear vision camera set up to be on always within the car whilst driving. Beats the pants off a set of mirrors!! The screen sits over the rear vision mirror in the car. So I naturally look up anyway as if I would normally do to see what is behind me.

Hey Brad
What type of camera is this? Looks great and I really don't like the ideas of having mirrors. Im new to vans and will pick mine up in September so trying to get a few things sorted out. :)
Cheers
Ants