14.44.2 v 14.44.4

Stan Lee

Aug 29, 2012
rAdelaide
www.expandasdownunder.com
howdy again gang.

due to recently investing in a new house i've had to reconsider the 14.44.4 for maybe a 14.44.2, simply due to $$$$$$.

would be interested in any feedback regarding those of u that have a 14.44.2! i've got a 14 yr old and a nearly 11 year old. This shopping for vans is / can be frustrating !! :frusty:

cheers

Coastrunner

Mar 18, 2012
South Coast NSW
I have the 14.44.2. 2009 outback hard lid model. It came with a 110watt solar panel and 100 amp hour battery.

I have two teenage boys 16 and 14. My 16 year old is 6ft 5 and my 14 yr old is heading that way.

People have asked me why I didn`t get the bigger one and the answer for that is simple.

The boys will sleep in the annexe on stretcher beds.

Again, I`ve had people tell me that annexes are a pain to set up each time and that its better to set up a tent or all in a bigger van.

In my opinion, its much better having the boys sleep out in the annexe, and it doesn`t take any longer to set the annexe up then it would a standard tent. Its just a matter of sliding the annexe walls along the tracks, attaching a couple of poles clamps and pegs. 10 minutes work, and the teenage boys can do that while I`m tweeking the van anyway.

I personally like the 14.44.2 over the 14.44.4 because we get a lounge to sit on while others sit at the dinette, and the lounge is quite comfy too. I`ve often had a power nap snozzing on the lounge. With the 14.44.2 we can all sit inside and eat dinner, watch tv or what ever. Obviously the annexe becomes a bedroom, so it's tricky when you want to eat outside, but I am able to pack a 3m x 3m oztrail gazebo that becomes our outdoor living area in addition to the annexe. So we have everything we need.

The bottom line, it`s good to have the kids outside the van. Even our previous 17foot pop top with bunk beds was a bit cramped and messy with all four of us trying to get changed, eat and sleep in. THE BIGGEST BONUS, I wasn't going to say this but:- Teenage boys also like their farting contests, they seem to make wind, and I`m much happier that they do it in the annexe rather than the van where I sleep too.

My vote, go the 14.4.4.2.

But either way 14.4.4.2 or 14.4.4.4, you`ll be having some great holidays.

Stan Lee

Aug 29, 2012
rAdelaide
thanks sssssooooooooooo much ... that's pretty much on the money with what we were thinking :)

not sure what u feed ur lads ... but must be something good that has produced such tall specimens who have flatulence issues :)

i'll keep u in the loop with our purchase

thanks again

Stan Lee

Aug 29, 2012
rAdelaide
Well ..... tomorrow (being Friday) is the big trek from Radelaide to Echuca to purchase a 14.44.2 second hand ... although i initially was chasing the 14.44.4 (current model) the mrs and i purchased a house and therefore a compromise was required!

although it's 2nd hand i'm massively excited about the prospect of travelling with my 10yr old lad on a 'boys' trip to collect the van !! :) :) I may even take him to the local and so he can have a solo and make out he's having a punt on the dogs!! :)

any recommendations on a good park to stay at in either swan hill, echuca and really depending on my travel time anywhere from Echuca to Pinnaroo??

:)

cheers

brookes2622

Jun 24, 2012
Bywong NSW
Well ..... tomorrow (being Friday) is the big trek from Radelaide to Echuca to purchase a 14.44.2 second hand ... although i initially was chasing the 14.44.4 (current model) the mrs and i purchased a house and therefore a compromise was required!

although it's 2nd hand i'm massively excited about the prospect of travelling with my 10yr old lad on a 'boys' trip to collect the van !! :) :) I may even take him to the local and so he can have a solo and make out he's having a punt on the dogs!! :)

any recommendations on a good park to stay at in either swan hill, echuca and really depending on my travel time anywhere from Echuca to Pinnaroo??

:)

cheers

It's funny picking up our van was a boys trip too, and we broke up the trip for a night, and we when to the club for dinner. /snap

Coastrunner

Mar 18, 2012
South Coast NSW
Excellent News Stan.
One of my favourite trips I have done with my second hand 14.44.2 was the trip back after I bought it.
I live on the South Coast of NSW and drove 9 hours to Melbourne {in one day}. Myself and my 14 year old son, who was happy to have a couple of days off school, looked over it, paid for it and spent 3 days {2 nights} travelling back home staying at some rest stops on the way home. Although they were only rest stops and not fantastic van parks we had a ball. Just pulling over getting it set up for the first few times, cooking our dinner, was a great little adventure.

I love the 14.44.2 and I`m sure you will too.

It probably wont matter where you stay, you'll enjoy just setting up and staying in your van. It`ll be fun just towing the baby back home.

Stan Lee

Aug 29, 2012
rAdelaide
thanks guys ... Well been an eventful day :) up early leaving Adel about eight ish and arriving in Echuca about half four... Not too bad a drive. The young fella kept himself busy with the usual toys ipod portable dvd players etc ... Wish i had those back in my day!

The people i bought the van from were awesome. Spent ages with me showing us how it works etc etc

the lad and i drove off smiling from ear to ear :) towed real well behind the commodore. Into the local park and now bed time. The little fella is snoring his head off ... Big day ... So tomorrow we May bust the trip up and have an over nighter.

Night all

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
Congrats on the van Stan, these are the quality times with the young fella that are gold, it's not just the excitement of the van. I think us dads should do that a bit more of that, I know I should.
Enjoy.

Jas

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Great stuff Stan. I'm with holden man. The more we dad's can do with our kids the better. It's a trip he'll never forget.

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Agree entirely. As a "silver gypsy" now, I can tell you that you'll never get this time again...until you have grandchildren maybe. It's amazing what a Dad can teach a boy or girl (and vice versa).

Stan Lee

Aug 29, 2012
rAdelaide
thanks guys

great couple of days so finally back in Radelaide!

the young fella had a ball ... last night we stayed at Lameroo in the local c/van park, had a hit cricket with the lad first bit of running outdoors he'd had for a bit so was good for him! took him to the pub for a counter meal and a trying to teach him a trick or too in a country pub, unfortunately not much as happening in Lameroo last night :)

would have to say the Expanda did really well although my fuel consumption doubled ... i went from 9.5 on ave for the trip there and averaged 18 for the trip home! but in saying that i did push it a bit to get home!

I've already picked a couple of things i'd do differently but that's for another post!

cheers for the replies and now planning short trips prior to out big one in Jan :)

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Great news on the new van Stan. Did you get the one with the optionl bunk above the lounge? I never understood why that model wasn't more popular.

If no bunks, one option instead of a full annex for the kids is an Oztent. Super quick to setup, though quite large to store. Just an idea.

Stan Lee

Aug 29, 2012
rAdelaide
Great news on the new van Stan. Did you get the one with the optionl bunk above the lounge? I never understood why that model wasn't more popular.

If no bunks, one option instead of a full annex for the kids is an Oztent. Super quick to setup, though quite large to store. Just an idea.

yes mate it's the one with the tri fold bunk! so pretty happy about it ... i def am still looking at a tent aswell more flexibility if the squids want to have friends come along for the trip.