12enjoy's New addition to the family

12Enjoy

Jul 26, 2015
Mareeba North Queensland
On our second trip away at Glengary big 4 park near port Douglas, great place for the kids.
image.jpegimage.jpeg

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Did you season the canvas beforehand or trust to nature?

I keep forgetting to check ours when it's accessible but we've had several nights of good rain while away so I guess it's seasoned naturally.

Another item on the list...but at the bottom of the list.

Reactions: bigcol

12Enjoy

Jul 26, 2015
Mareeba North Queensland
Trust to nature @Dobbie. Your really only seasoning the stitching, swell and get it to expand to fill the needle holes. Canvas is canvas and will act as a wick if a pillow/blanket or mattress is touching it. Couple of wet spots on the kids blanket from this. Nothing a set of bed end covers won't stop. On the market for sme now.8-)

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
I reckoned that was the case with the stitching but, like a lot of things, I forgot to do it properly and then hoped it was done for me without any effort on my part.

Sounds like it was...will find out next time it rains but all fine so far. Never had to use the storm covers.

I hope they don't need seasoning as I haven't done that either.

iadizajy

Nov 9, 2015
Point Cook
We took ours on its maiden voyage the weekend the drought broke here in Vic back in '09. We took it up to Nagambie for the weekend and hadn't seasoned the canvas as all good boy scouts do (guessed bed end covers and privacy screens would do the job) and we didn't have a leak. Only water was a bit of condensation from the little snorer sleeping on the top bunk.
Biggest issue was getting woken up at 6.30am on the Sunday morning to be evacuated as the Goulburn River was starting to flood and the park was going under. The site we were due to be on 6 weeks later for Xmas was already under 2ft of water :bathbaby: but luckily we were up the hill a bit.

Reactions: bigcol and Rockape

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
You would have had nice green grass then for Xmas @iadizajy ....................we've just had a week of damn rain all along the NSW coast and 2 good Gully Raker storms too boot, only a privacy screen and 5 yr old canvas.............all dry. But then the newer vans do have thinner canvas by the feel of it.

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
Well pack up tomorrow and leave this beautiful place Airlie Beach, Heading to walkabout palms big 4 in Townsville for a few days. :):)

Hi @12Enjoy . Great to hear that the airline beach van park is good. We are planning to stay there on our trip this year. Can't wait to hear about the Townsville one too, as I'm still in the planning phase, and hoping to lock in a few stays before we leave.

Reactions: bigcol and dagree

12Enjoy

Jul 26, 2015
Mareeba North Queensland
@Smirke there is two big 4 parks at Airlie, the other one is called Airlie Cove, I haven't stayed there as yet but apparently it is nice too. Not as much for the kids though and if the kids are happy we are happy. Daily activity sheets for the kids too do with treats when they are finished for free too, just a couple of lollies but the kids loved it. Outdoor movies every night, pancakes and slushies one given days as well by the pool.
Two big 4 parks in Townsville as well and some nice ones north side of Twonsville at some of the beaches. We are at walkabout palms and it is close to lots of things as there is freeways running everywhere. The strand water park and general area is wonderfull. Townsville (or Mt Isa by the Sea as I call it) I lived here for 10 years is a dry place but very nice lots too do. Magnetic island is worth a look too only a 15minute ferry ride.
:):)

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
Thanks @12Enjoy . Think I liked the look of the park you stayed in at Airlie (whitsundays one?) Kids are getting older now, the nearly 15yr old doesn't want to go on the trip, he wants to stay at school (think it's all about mates....def NOT about doing work as he never does any) so the coloring/activities would only hold for the younger 2. But, the water activities, slushies, movie night.....they'll all love that! The walkabout palms sounds nice. Will go onto my "list".

Reactions: dagree and bigcol

12Enjoy

Jul 26, 2015
Mareeba North Queensland
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
Well some more mods, can't help myself.
1. Another awning light on the right side and a seperate switch. To help this blind bat see at night if setting up hoses, power.
2. Another 10amp outlet on the right side, to let someone else hook in if parked alongside.
3. Anderson plug up at the draw bar to plug in portable solar or charge someone else.
4. Oh fitted another double point in the kitchen near the stove. Pic to come tomorrow.
5. Fitted a non return valve at my pump to stop filling my tanks when plugged into main is.

Do some more tomorrow, fiiting stone guard.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
:bounce:Well here is a snap shot of my scan gauge on my 200 series cruising back home to Mareeba from Townsville with the panda in tow. Love my 200 series, pic on the flat roads in 6th gear sitting on 1500rpm. I average 20ltrs/100 and that is keeping to the speed limit. :biggrin-new:
View attachment 38335
One day (soon i hope) i going to read the book to see what my Scan Gauge actually can do