12enjoy's New addition to the family

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
My aerial wiring was crap in the 17" I did not think to look at the electrics. Someone is supposed to sign it off who knows what they are doing. Although maybe your van was checked on a Friday arvo. Our new van is March plate I hope it was not made before or after the Vic Labour day holiday :(

Reactions: 12Enjoy and bigcol

12Enjoy

Jul 26, 2015
Mareeba North Queensland
Well first trip in the panda. Sitting at Kurrimine Beach holiday park for three days :)
image.jpg

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
When we picked our van up in dec last year, the guy doing the handover was the guy who is usually in charge of checking the electrics. He mentioned we had a newbie (took that as a probie) doing the electrics on the van and had wired it up wrong. None of our lights worked. (Got it fixed the day before we came in to pick up van, luckily). However, he did the whole van and as a result, our breakaway and ESC worked for about 2 hours of driving before neither worked. Just found out that he never hooked them up properly in the 12 pin plug, along with the fridge. Supposedly all fixed now, but a right pain in the butt. I guess we find out when I pick the van up from the fix it shop. (In the 9 months of owning the van, we have had it in our possession for only 5 of those months, the rest of the time it's been asleep at the fix it shop!)

DRW

May 29, 2013
Beautiful Burrum Heads QLD
Considering how many vans they make and the size of their market share it's no where near good enough, I must say with the exception of the expandas (which I know this site is for) the rest of the range are a little dissapointing in my view

Reactions: Crusty181

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
Considering how many vans they make and the size of their market share it's no where near good enough, I must say with the exception of the expandas (which I know this site is for) the rest of the range are a little dissapointing in my view
Our Silverline has been great and it's our 5th jayco and we are more than happy with it

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
we have had our 16.49.1 for 2 years, apart from the black checker plate coming adrift, we have never had a problem with them
broken the hockey stick twice - the little clip in the middle
broken all the silly latches under the beds at least twice each

apart from that, nowt

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
I would have to agree with you @DRW. From a manufacturing perspective particularly the carpentry its like a Toyota .... looks nice on the outside, but its far from acceptable from what you can't see (couldn't help myself there with the cheap Toyota jibe). To be fair Im not convince they are generally so vastly worse than other brands.

Sheet metal screws into ply, undersized and inappropriate fixings, ineffective sealants, design stupidity, drainage and wiring chaos. I don't agree with the suggestion 'suck it up cause they're cheap' ... at $60,000 mine was most certainly very far from cheap. If a choose an $8 toaster over a $100 toaster I still I expect it to produce the toast, who would be happy with the expectation it was cheap so Im satisfied it won't cook the toast ... thats consumerism gone mad o_O

My personal frustration with Jayco is they are so annoyingly close to genius, but at 80% they completely drop the ball. If they used the same priced 'correct' fixings, the same cost 'proper' manufacturing and assembly methods, their product would be perfect. From my experience with Jayco, the issues they have don't require more money to fix, just a little more thought.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
How did I miss this great thread..................

Rig looks great @12Enjoy , good to see pics a plenty.....................as for the wiring well you must have the same crew that built mine and they haven't learnt a thing over the years since mine was built in 2009 !!!!!!!!! I found hairy connections all over the place and have gone over everything so now am confident that all electrical connections are good. Things all working good is not a sign that all is good under the covers, I found some potential holiday destroyers amongst the wiring jumbles.

Have to agree with @Crusty181 just a bit more thought and care is needed, they would surely save on warranty work.

As you bounce around the place I have found the tell tale that screws may be popping out, is when you find the screw covers in the cupboards on the floor, a screw will be nearby, I find where it escaped from, a dob of glue and put it back and redo it's mates.

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
I said this before when I did the tour the guy doing it went on about all the QC stations how everything is triple checked.I just bit my tongue and said nothing :)
One of the things I have said to people when selling the 17" at least all the small annoying things have been fixed. Our floor stock 22" one of the drop down legs was gone and I have 3-4 draws that do not shut correctly I am fixing today. Wonder what I find next :)

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I have 3-4 draws that do not shut correctly I am fixing today. Wonder what I find next :)

Forgot all about the professional way the drawer latches were done, packed out with nuts, well thats okay really, but using screws that were way too short is not, drawer would pop open on the first turn...............................................Don't mean to be a Jayco knocker, but it's the way it is, I just fix things up and will more than likely get another one as I enjoy doing mods.
Overall I'm happy with my rig, just shake my head at the poor QC on the QC..............................................

Reactions: 12Enjoy

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
I said this before when I did the tour the guy doing it went on about all the QC stations how everything is triple checked.I just bit my tongue and said nothing :)
One of the things I have said to people when selling the 17" at least all the small annoying things have been fixed. Our floor stock 22" one of the drop down legs was gone and I have 3-4 draws that do not shut correctly I am fixing today. Wonder what I find next :)
When we sold our 16.49 it was listed as being the best example of a 2009 model 16.49 OB van available, because I had sweetened up all the niggly bits and bobs, and fine tuned the things that needed to be. I said in the listing that even if you don't buy mine, do yourself a massive favour and have look at it so you'll know what to fix in the one you do buy. Not a lot of the Jayco'itis issues are catastrophic, and thats whats so frustrating ... but when we sold our 16.49 it was an awesome van which most of the awesomeness was simply the value adding of those little nuisance things Jayco should have done initially.

Jayco slightly miss the target on the manufacture side of the equation, but they certainly more than make up for that in their after sales and warranty. I suppose if you had to take only one ... the later would be the pick. Im a little annoyed that a few things are adhoc, but the confidence of knowing that Jayco won't wipe me over warranty is great peace of mind that can't be bought

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
When we sold our 16.49 it was listed as being the best example of a 2009 model 16.49 OB van available, because I had sweetened up all the niggly bits and bobs, and fine tuned the things that needed to be. I said in the listing that even if you don't buy mine, do yourself a massive favour and have look at it so you'll know what to fix in the one you do buy. Not a lot of the Jayco'itis issues are catastrophic, and thats whats so frustrating ... but when we sold our 16.49 it was an awesome van which most of the awesomeness was simply the value adding of those little nuisance things Jayco should have done initially.

Jayco slightly miss the target on the manufacture side of the equation, but they certainly more than make up for that in their after sales and warranty. I suppose if you had to take only one ... the later would be the pick. Im a little annoyed that a few things are adhoc, but the confidence of knowing that Jayco won't wipe me over warranty is great peace of mind that can't be bought

@Crusty181
Looks like they're looking for people just like you

WORK WITH US
Jayco is a proudly Australian owned and operated company with production facilities located in Dandenong South, Victoria. If you are looking for full time work in a growing industry, with a company who strives for continual innovation in local manufacturing practices, then Jayco may be the company for you.

Skills we’re looking for:
  • Metalwork
  • Carpentry
  • Plumbing
  • Cabinet making
  • Welding
  • Furnishing
  • 12v wiring
  • Fitting floor coverings
Working at Jayco can also develop your skills in other areas:
  • CNC programming and operating
  • AutoCAD drafting and planning
  • Sales and Administration
  • Vehicle Manufacturing
  • Vehicle Servicing and Repairs
  • Caravan Park Management

To enquire about a job at Jayco, please fill in our application form. Alternatively, you can visit our Human Resources department at 1 Jayco Drive, Dandenong South VIC 3175 to drop off your resume.