Water tank relocation for spare wheel...

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
G'day @wizard69, funny you should ask. I have just about finished an RHS bumper with a swing down mount for the spare and will fit it when the paint is dry. I found the tyre under the rear of the van a real pain to get out and even worse to fit back under. I admit you don't have to take it out very often (hopefully) but it did drop out on me on the first outing. I wound the winch up to what I thought was tight but apparently there was slack in the cable where it wound up and constant bouncing on rough roads eventually allowed the slack to drop the wheel slightly and my hook up arrangement let go. Luckily it was just as we arrived at our destination and was off the road. That's when I found out how awkward it was to refit. I wound it up very tight then and also tied it up with wire but it convinced me to go to "plan B."

If you are interested in doing it I can supply details of how I hung it off the cross member behind the rear water tank but the pieces I used have now just joined my scrap metal pile I keep "because I might need it someday." :D

Reactions: wizard69

DaveS

Jan 10, 2014
I am thinking about shifting my rear (2nd) water tank forward by 400mm, to in between the next set of floor cross members. This way I can hang one or maybe even two spare wheels under the rear of my Expanda using a Hilux/L-Cruiser type wheel/chain winch.

Has anyone done this before?

I am a bit concerned about upsetting the towing dynamics but as a I understand weight closer to the axles or forward of axles is better than adding more weight to the rear of the van. Thus, 85kg moved forward a bit and 25 - 50kg added to under side rear…

What do you think – good or bad idea?

View attachment 13044
Hi
water tanks will only fit in certain positions, it's where the cross members are back to back, guess it's to stop ppl adding 10 of the buggers :)

wizard69

Jan 5, 2014
The Gong
G'day @wizard69, funny you should ask. I have just about finished an RHS bumper with a swing down mount for the spare and will fit it when the paint is dry. I found the tyre under the rear of the van a real pain to get out and even worse to fit back under. I admit you don't have to take it out very often (hopefully) but it did drop out on me on the first outing. I wound the winch up to what I thought was tight but apparently there was slack in the cable where it wound up and constant bouncing on rough roads eventually allowed the slack to drop the wheel slightly and my hook up arrangement let go. Luckily it was just as we arrived at our destination and was off the road. That's when I found out how awkward it was to refit. I wound it up very tight then and also tied it up with wire but it convinced me to go to "plan B."

If you are interested in doing it I can supply details of how I hung it off the cross member behind the rear water tank but the pieces I used have now just joined my scrap metal pile I keep "because I might need it someday." :D
Hi @chartrock ,
Thanks for your reply. I also have a " might need it one day pile". ( i think mine might be magical because things dissapear till i get sick of looking and buy new ones , and then they reappear).
My problem is that i have a bike rack on the back of the van (14.44-5) and cannot mount anything on the bumber. If you can supply the details of how you hung it, it would be most appreciated. Maybe i could add a bolt attachment when the wheel is wound up so it cant come undone. Also maybe a cross piece welded across your design with a nut and so you could bolt the wheel to it.
thanks again.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
@wizard69, I'll take a couple of pictures later today of the bits and describe how they were fitted. It's a shame you are not closer as I would be happy to pass the bits over and you could use them as you like.

Ligedy

Oct 13, 2012
Mackay
Hi
water tanks will only fit in certain positions, it's where the cross members are back to back, guess it's to stop ppl adding 10 of the buggers :)
Yeah a trap for newbies like myself. The cross members made it a little harder but with some new tank straps I made it work.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Well @wizard69 , here are a couple of extra photos that may help. Combining these with my original post pics may help.
DSC_4098.jpg DSC_4099.jpg The winch was held on with three bolts through the rear cross member which was a 50 x 50 RHS. It had a tapered cup shaped piece to match the end of the tyre support, the idea being that it could not slide backwards and drop the tyre.
DSC_4100.jpg DSC_4101.jpg DSC_4102.jpg The long section of angle iron was fitted to the cross member supporting the rear of the rear water tank. There are 3 bolts that support the tank but I managed to fit another 3 bolts for extra support.

I hope this helps.

Paul

wizard69

Jan 5, 2014
The Gong
@wizard69, I'll take a couple of pictures later today of the bits and describe how they were fitted. It's a shame you are not closer as I would be happy to pass the bits over and you could use them as you like.
Hi @chartrock ,
thanks again..I wish i was closer too. I spoke to a bloke and he is going to charge me a fortune to weld up everything.( maybe its time to learn to weld).
Thanks,
Paul.

Reactions: chartrock

wizard69

Jan 5, 2014
The Gong
Well @wizard69 , here are a couple of extra photos that may help. Combining these with my original post pics may help.
View attachment 19430 View attachment 19431 The winch was held on with three bolts through the rear cross member which was a 50 x 50 RHS. It had a tapered cup shaped piece to match the end of the tyre support, the idea being that it could not slide backwards and drop the tyre.
View attachment 19432 View attachment 19433 View attachment 19434 The long section of angle iron was fitted to the cross member supporting the rear of the rear water tank. There are 3 bolts that support the tank but I managed to fit another 3 bolts for extra support.

I hope this helps.

Paul
G,day @chartrock .I really appreciate you taking the photos and posting them. When i finally decide what im doing and get it made up , ill send you a message and post some pictures.
Thanks again,
Paul

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Hi @chartrock ,
thanks again..I wish i was closer too. I spoke to a bloke and he is going to charge me a fortune to weld up everything.( maybe its time to learn to weld).
Thanks,
Paul.

Mate, I just bought myself a small gasless MIG and practised on some plate and started with a few small jobs. It is amazing how easy these things are to use.

Meanderthals

Aka PhilD
Mar 16, 2012
Near Darwin
Mate, I just bought myself a small gasless MIG and practised on some plate and started with a few small jobs. It is amazing how easy these things are to use.
Yep, pretty easy. So easy that I practiced by building my own shed with all Duragal framing, including trusses, and it passed inspections as an Owner Builder doing it to cyclone coding. The complete frame is MIG welded, not a bolt to be seen holding it together other than the Tek Screws for the cladding. The only Contractors were the concretors for the slab (wife, son & BIL don't count as Contractors) plus Electricians yet to be used.
100_0911.JPG
100_1057.JPG
Welder_1.JPG

Last edited:

Meanderthals

Aka PhilD
Mar 16, 2012
Near Darwin
Was a nice unit until it had the meltdown, literally, on a later project. Was quoted more to repair than a new one and with no guarantee that even that would fix it properly. Now have a bit smaller one but more portable and still adequate for coming Expanda mods.

Shed was my basic design then Engineer massaged structure to comply and meets my idea for cyclone shelter strength. Any tree from parkland falling on it will come off second best. Money saved on labour was put in to more steel so is way over minimum requirements. Column's are sunk in to 19 bored 600w x 900-1100d holes entirely filled with concrete we mixed in a 2.2 cu ft mixer that we hand shovelled. Some days we did 3 and some only one. I had retired, from paid work, a year before and wife said to build a shed. What man would say no to having to buy a heap of new tools/toys.

Van is now parked in the carport area and had to dig some more holes, not as big, to provide insurance required cyclone tie down anchor points.

Reactions: chartrock