Water tank relocation for spare wheel...

Ligedy

Oct 13, 2012
Mackay
I am thinking about shifting my rear (2nd) water tank forward by 400mm, to in between the next set of floor cross members. This way I can hang one or maybe even two spare wheels under the rear of my Expanda using a Hilux/L-Cruiser type wheel/chain winch.

Has anyone done this before?

I am a bit concerned about upsetting the towing dynamics but as a I understand weight closer to the axles or forward of axles is better than adding more weight to the rear of the van. Thus, 85kg moved forward a bit and 25 - 50kg added to under side rear…

What do you think – good or bad idea?

IMG_1532 (Large).JPG

AndrewC

Mar 20, 2013
Murrumba Downs, Brisbane
Yes, I have put the spare under the back but did not bother moving the water tank. I dont have any issues with the relocation at all. My question is, most people move the spare to piut something else where it was, so are you putting something else where the spare was? If so you wont upset the balance. I don't believe that this model is that fine to the line anyway.

I will get some pictures tonight

Ligedy

Oct 13, 2012
Mackay
Thanks Andrew.

Yep - I’m looking a decent size tool box for up the front and may have to drop the gas bottles down a little to make it all fit in.

I’m also thinking it will be easier to get at the spare wheel from the back given there’s plenty of clearance. I should also be able to get two side by side if and when needed for a big out back trip…

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
I managed to get hold of a winch type piece to fit to the rear of the expanda and there is room behind the rear tank to fit the wheel but I found that it was almost impossible to get any sort of winder in to where the mechanism would sit with the wheel in the up position. The six inch chassis member each side mean you can't come in from there and the rear bar makes it extremely difficult to come from the back end.

Does anyone have a solution to this problem?

AndrewC

Mar 20, 2013
Murrumba Downs, Brisbane
Hi Ligedy,

I either mis-read your post or forgot where I installed the spare!

Contrary to what I previously said, I actually installed mine between the two tanks. This spot is just behind the rear axle which is a better spot for it then the rear as it does not affect your angle of departure anywhere near as much. This location would be even easier for you as you appear to have the independent suspension.

As you can see from the pictures I have, the winder is positioned so that the winder shaft goes in through the side in front of the mud flap through the little loop bracket I made. The winder is attached to a piece of 10mm x 100mm stainless steel flat bar and it spans three of the floor stingers fixed by 6 x M8 bolts.

As mentioned by someone else here, the wheel must not pull hard up to the cross rails as you won't be able to get the winder rod into it. So, what I did was have the tyre pull up onto 3 posts which are long enough to allow a gap between the floor cross rails and the tyre.

I moved mine for the same reason as you, need room for a custom box. I did not want to move the gas bottles so i made the box go around it. I then removed the gas regulator bracket and mounted this to the box. i also installed a stainless steel basket to the space where the tyre used to be. The box is big enough to fit my Honda 2kva generator and Weber baby Q, hoses, leads and leveling ramps.

Sorry about the photos on the side but the computer wants them to go that way for some reason. They don't appear like that in my file folder

Hope that helps!

photo1.JPG

photo2.JPG

photo.JPG

photo3.JPG

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Thats some handy work there. Have you towed with the new box and whell moved? Did you notice any difference.

The only other thing is the very limited payload on these vans, adding a box means adding more stuff to your payload, so be sure to watch that too.

But i love the lateral thinking to solve your problem Andrew.

AndrewC

Mar 20, 2013
Murrumba Downs, Brisbane
Could not notice any difference at all. The only downside was that I had to cut off the old jockey wheel bracket and weld a new one on closer to the front which meant I was breaking the gal. Never mind, silver frost came in handy.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Nice job chartrock! Have you got the toolbox yet or is it still in the design stages?
At this stage no plans for a box, my main aim was to shift a bit of weight to the rear then see how it rides. I may make a frame to sit where the tyre used to sit just for hoses and loose items but my model has an actual front opening boot.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
By the plate, it's 105Kg. It was weighed when in for some work a couple of months ago and was 214Kg. I find it hard to believe but in case it is so, I have shifted the spare.

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Nice job chartrock.
i am curious with your design. I originally had thought of doing a wind up winch but was going to do the style where a plate slots into the wheel rim and the wheel is basically suspended by the cable.
Why did you opt for building an entire frame?

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Thanks Brad. I could not find a way of mounting the winch so it was over the centre of the wheel. Even if I could find a way to do so then the winch winding point would have been over the centre of the wheel and I would have had to sit the wheel lower to access the winch. Where the winch is now gives me easy access to it from the rear and it is just above the bumper bar height and close to the rear. I have made a winder that is about 400mm long and fits into the battery drill I carry for winding the legs up and down. If I happen to leave my drill out or it is flat I have a square section welded on the winder that I can use a shifter on to wind it up and down.

I hope all that makes sense. If you want any more photos let me know.

Reactions: Brad

Soaring

Jan 30, 2013
Melbourne - Eltham
Very similar the spare mount on my Territory. Full cradle with rear wind down. Although in terra territory the wind down point is in the rear floor scuff trim.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Nice job Chartrock. With the winder did you think about going through the bodywork below the number plate? I have a spare landcrusier winch and crossmember and that's what I am considering. But admit I haven't look at it that well yet.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Nice job Chartrock. With the winder did you think about going through the bodywork below the number plate? I have a spare landcrusier winch and crossmember and that's what I am considering. But admit I haven't look at it that well yet.

G'day @achjimmy . No I hadn't considered that at all, as I think going through the body there would then line up with the 50mm RHS sub frame. It works out just fine as it is by allowing me to pass the winder between the body and the bumper bar. :cool:

wizard69

Jan 5, 2014
The Gong
I managed last week to move my spare from the front to under the back. Towed it on the weekend and did not notice any difference in handling.
View attachment 15697 Frame ready for fitting View attachment 15701 Frame bolted up View attachment 15698 Winch and mount View attachment 15699 Winch mounted

Finished product
View attachment 15702 View attachment 15703 View attachment 15704 View attachment 15705
Hi, just found your idea and i love it.Its exactly what ive been looking for.What is the frame actually attached too ? ( did you have to put another beam in).
Have you been worried that the cable might break /come loose?
Any updates,ideas or improvements to your design?
thanks heaps