TT Bridge - Our 200 Cruiser

TTBRIDGE

Mar 12, 2013
Brisbane - Northside (North Lakes)
Hey All,

We recenty picked up our 200 VX. Only 350 Klms on it and it is just over a week since we picked it up. Will detail the build as i go. I will be doing most of the work myself.

As we had a very capable 100 petrol before this one, with the move to a van from the camper our needs have changed a little s no lockers etc for now. But there will still be a fair list of work done.

First Diesel we have ever owned, our entire family on both side have 200 so looking foward to joining in the drag up the hill...

Last edited:
Reactions: bigcol and Smirke

TTBRIDGE

Mar 12, 2013
Delivery Day.jpg
Delivery Day

Than a very large box arrived, i had no space and needed to put it somewhere.
Big Box.jpg

So then i started pulling our very new car apart.
Bar Fitting.jpg

Then i took to it with a Jigsaw to cut my bumper down the middle.
Bar Cutting.jpg

Then about 9 hours latter i was finished, with the bar mounted, all the lights hooked up and wired in. Overall it was not a hard job, and a massive $$ saving in doing it myself. Made eaiser but having everthing apart to fit spot lights and aerials etc I stillhave the Warn winch to fit, but want to overhaul it after reoving it from the last car and cape trip.
Bar Fitted Front.jpg

More to come...

TTBRIDGE

Mar 12, 2013
Sitting at the computer tonight instead of modding due to a little accident at work today resulting in a few stitchers in my left hand (3nd lot in a week, Thumb =5, index =1 and today pinky =3 but got the others out today while i was there...Blue band aids are for food grade purpose not dramatic effect so it is not my week)
Hand.jpg

Anyway, back to the build

We had an off road version of the VMS in dash unit in the last car, used the ass off the DVD to the rear for the kids on long trips and other function. But it had a few glitches that never got to the bottom off. At $2800 i struggle to go there again with the problems i had.

So with a fair wrap from a few sites and price on there side, i went with a Dig Options Premium unit at $800 for the off road mapping, with DVD etc. All the same function as the VMS at less than a 3rd the price, runs the same software as the VMS units as well. Install was a breeze with plug and play cables, just had to splice in the reversing camera patch cable to keep the original camera.

This one also has another camera input, so i will be running the van camera through this. The unit also came with a new dash surround that allows for a bigger screen to integrate seamlessly. So the screen increased from 6" to 8". Looks great, and very happy with it so far
radio.jpg

I also installed the brake controller below, but still got to power it. Just need to be able to bend my finger before i go any further.

Reactions: bigcol and Smirke

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
Geez mate did a number on those fingers, bet there was a bit of paperwork after that....

Cruiser looks great, will be good to have a sticky next weekend.. :)

HM

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Looks good, I've been thinking about a VMS but I don't find the Toyota GPS that bad. How is it to switch to reverse cam? Friends digi options took a while.

New VMS for cruiser is $990

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    230.6 KB · Views: 237

TTBRIDGE

Mar 12, 2013
@achjimmy, I looked at the VMS unit, but i wanted the bigger dispaly. Also missing a few other things i was used to with my last higher spec VMS. However, i was disapointed overall with the VMS randomly doing thing, the voice quality of the bluetooth was poor. and the module died. They had it back several times on test and never faulted, so i got it back. I had it for just over 3 years.

When i was looking around, i know 2 other people with the VMS in LC200. They both made the comment they do random things. So it must be in the software. So on this basis, i looked at other options.

So far the Dig unit has worked well for me, but it as only been a week and i have not done much with it, bu the Bluetooth is better for talking on the phone.

Tim

Reactions: bigcol and achjimmy

TTBRIDGE

Mar 12, 2013
So been a busy time since I had the time for more build updates.

I normally upgrade suspension, but with different touring needs I have stayed standard for the moment (also could not decide what to run) so for the van I went with rear firestone airbags (imported from US for ½ the price) I then put these inside the Kevlar bag for protection and so I can run up do 60PSI if required.

20140301_084440.jpg
20140301_084929.jpg
20140303_053754.jpg

As I added the Bull bar and other stuff it sagged in the front, as well as being droopy from the start. So I opted for spring spacers in the front, this lifted the car up by 40mm in the front.

I also run an onboard compressor with an inflation system for the airbags so I do not use the inflation valves. So I fitted an ARB compressor, I installed it under the bonnet and fabricated a mount for it. Really happy with how it turned out. This is also plumed to the rear for an inflation point for tires etc. and switched on the dash.

20140312_171141.jpg

I have also run a loom through the car for drink fridge, Cargo lighting, 12v power sockets, caravan charge, Kids DVD & 2 Way. Each is fused on there own circuit with a distribution board under the bonnet. A lot of work, but safe and all the fuses are in one spot with out pulling panels off when in the bush loaded up (been there, not doing it again) Still got to terminate the other end as i fit the car inside out.

20140304_193545.jpg

I have always run Cooper 4wd tires; they have been good to me. The OEM fitment are so soft but ideal for most 200 owners I guess, I would not make full millage out of them before changing them for a trip. So after a lot of looking I decided to change the rubber and the rims from new. I got a tip from another forum recommending the sale of the wheels separately. What a tip, the sale almost covered themselves but with much better rubber. You can instantly feel the difference in the handling of the car. Very happy with the end result, looks like a 4wd now.

20140304_160714.jpg

For reference, the boy in the next photo is 16 years old. LOL
20140304_160857.jpg

So with some modding done to allow us to tow (charging and stopping), it was off for it’s first tow and we were off to the SE Qld meet with 900km on the clock. Here is a photo of the rig ready to go on it’s first trip. Just got to get a new tow hitch, I wanted to work out the centreline before buying anything.

20140307_134248.jpg

Next up, Kids DVD install and making a set of rear draws. Might take a few weeks now we have a tow vehicle back again we intend on using it.

Adam79

May 28, 2013
Brisbane
Looks the goods now. @TTBRIDGE .
Im just about to pull the wheels and tyres off mine to sell and replace with some 305 60r 18 Mickey Thompson P3 and black KMC monster. So you sold the ome rims and tyres individually or as a set.?

TTBRIDGE

Mar 12, 2013
@Adam79 , sell them individually. I listed on Gumtree and could have sold them twice over within a week. People want a 2nd spare for their rear bars Or to fit to a camper. Mine had 250km on them. Be prepared to ship, you will get more enquiry. Depot to Depot down the Eastern seaboard is about $25 per wheel, at the buyers expense.

I sold 4 to one bloke, and the freight was under $100 door to door to Sydney as he did not want the hassle.

The Monsters will look good, really set them apart. At least we will each know our own cars if we ever cross paths.

TTBRIDGE

Mar 12, 2013
Been busy of late again, to finish off my airbag install, and electrics install i needed to make the draws. I have had outbacks before, and i liked them but i wanted a few things different this time. Seen as i have access to bending sheet metel i stayed with a sheet metal construction. With Ply box's and draw runners.

As i hate stuffing around blowing up airbags, i bought off ebay for my last car 2 pressure toggle switches and a duel needle gauge so the bags are a breeze to inflate, flick the compressor on, connect the van and up they go. These gauges are on the left.

On the right my Volt / Amp gauge & 12V sockets. On the front of the draws i have a double USB so i can run long cords through the seats for charging the kids gagets. As well as the 12V socket for the fridge.

There is also a new LED strip light switched in the cargo bay. To finish off, a flip out protective cover on the tailgate for protection. Already showing wear after on 3 months.

20140330_122934_resized.jpg
20140330_122901_resized[3].jpg
20140531_115041_resized.jpg
20140531_115126_resized.jpg
20140601_164151_resized.jpg
20140601_164215_resized.jpg
20140601_164246_resized.jpg

MiniKlein

Jan 29, 2014
Ipswich Qld
Hi @TTBRIDGE great setup looks fantastic! All your hard work and mods have really payed off the vx is pimping!! But I spotted the box! Looks great powder coated very smart! Do u have a sketch? Additional photos? Thanks mate