16' Series Why No External Access Hatch for Rear Tunnel Boot?

S&P

Oct 7, 2013
Yarra Valley
www.sefiiraforge.com.au
Hi all,
Since picking up our 16.49-3 OB and starting to pack it full of all sorts of odds and sods, I'm wondering why there is no external hatch to the rear under bed storage compartment.
By the look of it, the awning leg/bracket would be in the way on the curb side, but I do think it would be a good idea on the other side.
Has anyone else thought the same and put a hatch in a a mod?
Cheers,
Paul

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Thought about it. Some vans the rear tunnel boot is narrower. I think a door from inside would be handy, similar to a large cupboard door, just so you can get things when the beds are set up.

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
We have a very small door on the passenger side. I use it. To put fishing rods and de-flappers in. Down side, it has to be tapped up on dirt as it is a major source of dust ingress.

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
On the 16's awning arm is in the way guess they could have done one on the right side though
I too would have like hatch on the inside didn't think of it at the time

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
Hi All.

Fitting an external hatch to our (now sold 16.49-2) Expanda was one of the best modifications I ever completed.
It gave me access under the seats and bunk and offered me easy storage for not much money.
The first hatch I fitted took me about an hour and cost $50. It was so easy I went back to the boat shop (Whitworths from memory) and bought another. The second hatch took 50 minutes.

Here are some photos I took at the time.
1. Tape out the area.
2. Drill out each corner with a 10mm hole.
3. Use a Jigsaw to cut out the section.
4. I used cloth tape around the edge and sicaflex to seal the hatch.
5. Screw it in place.

Enjoy never lifting up your seats again!
Hope this has helped someone. You can see them on each side of the Expanda in the first two photos.

(On our Starcaft I loved the modification so much I had one fitted under the rear bunks as part of the deal - I felt I had earned it!)

Cheers
Andrew
P1070039.jpg
P1070040.jpg

Hatch1.jpg
Hatch2.jpg
Hatch3.jpg
Hatch4.jpg
Hatch5.jpg

Last edited:

DaveS

Jan 10, 2014
nice fitup @twscoot !
when i fit them i try to get them at floor level, so easy to sweep out, so a handy hint is to just wack a drill thru from the inside, then measure that down to the floor, then on the outside i use that measurement for layout to get it on floor level. I use the same method for adding hot water systems as they sit on the floor

DaveS

Jan 10, 2014
just be aware that some hatches use the cutout as the in the hatch, usually thetford brand, so you can't use my method on them otherwise you end up with a hole thru the part you have to use

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Will certainly be looking at this mod once mine is out of warranty. Crazy that they don't do it as standard.

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
Ok. ⚠️Wait a month! Then go for it! I'm sure I did mine (see my step by step pics earlier in this thread) inside the warranty period.

Nagga's

Sep 23, 2013
The Sunny Pilbara WA
We picked our new 14.44-4 up in March and it has a big hatch at the back and I could be with out it! Just a couple of cm's short of being able to put the high lid baby weber in! Go for I say, so much easier than going under the bed!