The Toilet Paper Comparison

Turtle

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
Bathurst, NSW
Well then...............some might say I have too much time on my hands, but I think using the right toilet paper is a real issue, especially for the person that empty's it.
A couple of weekends back, I was emptying the cassette after an overnight stay and was surprised by the amount of paper that hadn't broken down ( came out on clumps) so I promised myself that I would find the best paper for the job !
My experiment was carried out under the strictest of controlled conditions ( on the kitchen bench) and is not sponsored by any of the manufacturers (yet).
So, here we go,
Photo 1, Fiamma paper (about $7 for a 6 pack)
image.jpg
Photo 2, Thetford paper (about $8 for a 4 pack)
image.jpg
Photo 3, Aldi 2 ply (about $4 for a 12 pack)
image.jpg
The paper was left to soak for 15 mins and then gently swished around.
The Aldi paper basically had broken down to nothing, the Thetford was the next best performer (and the one we had previously been using) and the Fiamma performed worst of all.
So, based on my findings, could the controller of the paper please consider the emptier of the cassette in their future paper selections?
P.S. The Aldi paper is good to use too. Not rough on the soft bits and strong (no break through)

Last edited:

halbster

May 13, 2014
Great thanks for that. Is it done using the toilet solution or just water? Also can you let us know exactly which Aldi paper as they sell a few would be great.
As the official emptier for our household I appreciate your efforts.

Reactions: Smergen

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Ive always found 2 ply breaks down the best, so its 2ply for the van dunny
Dont be fooled into thinking you have to spend money on those brand caravan one like Thetford/

Meanderthals

Aka PhilD
Mar 16, 2012
Near Darwin
My wife was told by some well meaning (read as busybody) woman at one camp site to just remember that inside the van is the wive's work and outside is the mans area. If that is so then as the toilet is filled from the inside, isn't it therefore the wife's job to empty it?

Furthermore, if staying in one place for a while how do you 'swish" the contents around without removing the cassette and shaking it up? Alternatively, as certain individuals are not anatomically designed for a bit of variable aiming, is it the mans duty to carry this out when doing number 1's?

Reactions: dagree and DRW

DRW

May 29, 2013
Beautiful Burrum Heads QLD
Well what a great experiment, however since taking up a desk job and having white soft poofy hands for the first time in 40+ years you have a different perspective on toilet paper, the Aldi one (we love Aldi) I find is too slippery as my finger have no grip now (nuff said) so we go for the sorbent in the van as it has more grip. Since having the van I have managed not to actually use toilet paper in the van YET I have always been lucky enough to pull up close to a long drop or similar or be in a park. However Mrs DRW uses it every few seconds (or at least it appears that way) and I must say I have not had the clumping tissue issue, I do tend to move around a bit also which would save placing my hand into the cassette and stiring it..

Reactions: chartrock

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I can vouch for the ALDI paper it does break down well and thats with the 3 ply, as for being slippery not using the wrapper are you @DRW.......................................since mine is due for a shake and rattle tomorrow I could post some live colour picks from the Coffs Dump Point if needed...............................

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
However Mrs DRW uses it every few seconds (or at least it appears that way) and I must say I have not had the clumping tissue issue, I do tend to move around a bit also which would save placing my hand into the cassette and stiring it..

I have a image of you stirring up the shitter now and thats not good!!! Especially with white poofy hands!

Wanda

Jun 22, 2013
Adelaide
I can vouch for the ALDI paper it does break down well and thats with the 3 ply, as for being slippery not using the wrapper are you @DRW.......................................since mine is due for a shake and rattle tomorrow I could post some live colour picks from the Coffs Dump Point if needed...............................
:nono:

Reactions: bigcol and DRW

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Since Mrs Drover won't be in cooee and I'd have to do the honours one handed while holding the camera it may sadden some but you'll have to use your imagination............................................happy wanda

Reactions: bigcol

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Now we just need a paper to fingernail length test......!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cheerful:

Reactions: bigcol