The Marshian's New Home - 19ft New Age Gecko

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
ok heading out there now and jumping the fence to check :) he he he ok I am not that crazy just :)

Don't bother mate... nothing to see here. Yet.

Pity that Jayco don't allow kids on their factory tour - my 8 year old son would love it and I would like to go as well, but if we can't attend as a family, will have to wait a few years.

It's a great tour, and us 5 were the only ones being walked around. I certainly think us big kids got something out of it, and the kids had grins that's for sure. Helps us believe we're buying into a quality product. I'd still love to do the Jayco one, I think the size and organisation of it all would be very interesting.

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
You can see why they have the QC issues though they pumping them out pretty quickly.

A trap that NA need to ensure that they don't fall into as they expand rapidly. Currently pumping out in the order of 40-45 vans per week, or around 9 a day depending on build types. No reason to doubt that they can't monitor it, but certainly something that could undue some of their established good work.

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
OK... now that it's in the drive way, I'll spill the beans...

image.jpg

More updates and pics to come over the weekend but in summary, the Gecko has landed in the Marsh...

image.jpg

A couple of quick pics of internals below, but more from the quick shakedown trip I've got planned for the weekend.

In short... we are floored. The van is amazing. Our custom beds/bunks have turned out exactly how we hoped and honestly believe it's the best layout and use of space for three bunks in this van. This was supported by the dealer principal who took plenty of pics and agreed it was a great idea.

The fit. The finish. The handover. The little things. The attention to detail. All in all , we were so very stoked with our experience with New Age Melbourne (formerly Caravans on Cooper).

More to come, but it was a massive day. A pivotal day in our little family and the true start of our Big Lap...

image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
Looks great, now all we need are pics of the van, inside and out during your shakeout.
Will really be tested with the bad weather heading your way!
Would a tall person (200cm) be able to stand upright without banging anything? That has often been an issue for me in non-pop top vans.
Have fun with the family!

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
You have ruined my search for a new caravan.

I love the white cupboards and the rest of the decor, the design and everything about it.

I find myself rejecting anything that doesn't have the white panelling so will be interested to see how it stands up to the caravanning experience.

But we don't want bunks so might have to check them out for other models.

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Congrats @Smergen and the kids look happy which is a bonus! Looking forward to seeing more of it over the weekend.

I wonder how long it took to pop the bottle once you got it home ;)

nice as mate................

Cheers mate

Looks awesome! Congrats

Appreciated mate

congrats mate have a good trip this weekend.. Kids seem very happy looks fantastic

Kids love it, and after the shakedown trip, they think it's "WAY BETTER THAN THE OTHER VAN"...

Looks bloody fantastic.........................................heaps of green with envy, .......................damn I want one but no bunks or grandkids will want to come away.

Plenty of them without bunks mate. I could lend you a kid or two if you need...

Nice @Smergen 's Congrats. Pace.

Thanks mate.

Well done she looks fantastic

Certainly no sunshine this weekend for her to shine in, but no leaks so that's a bonus! :)

Looks great, now all we need are pics of the van, inside and out during your shakeout.
Will really be tested with the bad weather heading your way!
Would a tall person (200cm) be able to stand upright without banging anything? That has often been an issue for me in non-pop top vans.
Have fun with the family!

Thanks mate. Shakedown photos will come tomorrow at this stage when I do a little trip report. Overall though the van delivered on everything we hoped for and a little bit more. It was incredibly comfortable and I believe will be a perfect van for us going forward. As for roof height, both @17triton and I at around 1.9m have no trouble standing up inside the van. Not sure of the internal roof height but I think it'd be more than 2m and with nothing hanging down.

You have ruined my search for a new caravan.

I love the white cupboards and the rest of the decor, the design and everything about it.

I find myself rejecting anything that doesn't have the white panelling so will be interested to see how it stands up to the caravanning experience.

But we don't want bunks so might have to check them out for other models.

There is a lot of white cupboards that's for sure and we're very happy we went with the white panels rather than the dark. It's quite "sterile" with all the lights on but it's bright, light and gives off the perception of more space. Loads of van combos, with and without bunks so I'm sure you could find a layout to suit.

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
After checking @Smergen 's van out on the weekend in the flesh I can let everyone know it is a ripper van with a unreal floor plan for a family of 5 and perfect for their big trip next year. Excellent quality inside and out and should provide years of fun times ahead. Well done smergs:encouragement:.

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Thanks mate, was great to share the shakedown trip with you and @Tone and respective families.

I managed to get through my goal of getting the van through without a mark from the kids inside so that's a win. Also managed to give Smergling #3 an "offgrid" shower/bath when we got home and can confirm that the shower works a treat also.

As mentioned before, will post up pics and tales tomorrow once I've had a chance to download photos off the phone. If you've got any good ones, feel free to post them. :)

Last edited:

Base23

Jan 17, 2016
Adelaide
Van looks great and the bunk layout is just spot on. looks to be a lot more room for each kid that a triple bunk set up.
Enjoy it.

Reactions: Smergen

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Van looks great and the bunk layout is just spot on. looks to be a lot more room for each kid that a triple bunk set up.
Enjoy it.

Thanks mate. There is loads more room in each bunk, and considering the storage under the second bunk, believe that we've actually come away with the same, if not a little more storage than in the full height robe option (given the fact the beds were wider/deeper than the robes).

Seriously... we couldn't be more happy.

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
OK... photo time... a few from pick up and the shake down trip. Hope they are interesting because I still can't stop smiling. And yes, I was out in there this evening, just smelling the new van smell...

Hooked up for the first time, and I was surprised that the van didn't look bigger when we first looked at it. Mind you it was sitting next to some of the big boys in the New Age range.
01.JPG

Stopped over at BP Rockbank to get some lollies to reward #3 for being a trooper through a tough long for him. I took the opportunity to jump out and take some roadside pics...
02.JPG 03.JPG 04.JPG

Later that night took some internals. Strangely didn't take any internals on the shakedown trip so no daylight pics. Take my word for it that it's very light and open during the day, and thanks to a million LEDs, extremely bright at night...

As you can see, we went white with dark upholstery with dark tweed floor. It's quite neutral and perhaps sterile for some, but the absence of faux wood vinyl floor and light wood panelling it's a refreshing and welcome change.
05.JPG

L shape lounge... love the drop down panel, albeit it very dangerous with a trigger happy latch. Opens up lots of space when moving around the van.
06.JPG

A couple of mod-cons that we didn't have in the other van. A stero, which although perhaps basic by some Fusion standards, does what we need with CD, radio, Bluetooth, Pandora and the like. We're not big van tech heads but it does the job. Was great just having the footy on in the background on the weekend. The drifter panel is something I've always been jealous of in other vans. It's awesome... but something that I'm sure most of you are aware of... Forgive the "new guy" moment.
07.JPG 08.JPG

The crowning glory (or at least in our opinion) is our bunk beds/loft bed cupboard storage combo thingymajig. The pictures tell most of the story, but really it's a super amount of storage and more than ample from our perspective for our Big Trip. We haven't even come close to working out how to use it all, if at all, but it gives us the flexibility to chop and change.
09.JPG 10.JPG 11.JPG

OK, the few shakedown trip pics we took... sorry weather was terrible...
13.JPG 14.JPG

Like really terrible...
15.JPG

So all in all it was a great trip, and a good test of the vans ability to handle wet and cold (which it did quite well). The van is heavier and bigger than the last one and in the strong winds on the way home we hit new territory for fuel consumption (~20-21l/100km). Hopefully that's not the norm as it was more around the 16/17 on the way down.

All home...
17.JPG

And then it was a quick test of a few things... Weber doesn't fit in the front tunnel without removing the lid but the hatch under the bed seems perfectly sized... Would prefer it in the fully sealed front tunnel though so I reckon we might be taking the lid off. Still... nice to have options!

18.JPG

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I aint gunna show SWMBO this thread

for some reason she is talking about a full sized Van with bunks

hhhhhhmmmmmmmmmm who has told her...................................????????

awesome looking Van - I've said it before, and I will say it again - and probably again