New Jayco Recall

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Hi
here is an update, as far as I can find out:

There was a batch of 30 axles from Al-Ko identified with possibly faulty welds.
Jayco identified that they could only have been fitted to 200 Jaycos.

Al-Ko have assigned a person to handle the recall and ship out replacement axles.

Jayco are working with dealers to identify vans delivered and those still to be delivered.

Bayswater Jayco had 8 vans to check and mine was the only one found to be faulty.

Al-Ko supplied a complete assembly, but one hub had to be removed when fitting to get
the axle through the leaf springs. The dealer had to cut off the original fitting plates
and weld them back onto the replacement axle. The total job took about 2 hours.

I got to have a look at the faulty axle.
The problem was with the weld between the backing plate and the axle.
The weld had not taken at all to the backing plate. And the plate was not attached at all
to the axle when I saw it.

The van was delivered on time, and we have already clocked up 130 km taking it camping
over the weekend and have had no problems with it.

Yes, I am feeling much more positive about it now.

Thanks for all the helpful responses.

Mike

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Al-Ko phone me back. The axles are MIG welded automatically and the welding angle was not reset
when the weld task was changed. This resulted in the weld not taking to the backing plate at all.

Apparently, this is the first recall Al-Ko have ever had. Seems that they are way on top of it.
They will post me stickers to put on the van to show that the recall has been done.

Got nowhere with getting an extended warranty. The axle comes with a standard one-year warranty.
This is at odds with what I was told by Jayco.

Mike

Reactions: bigcol and dagree

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Hi,
just to follow up.

I received a letter today from AL-KO confirming that Safety Recall ALKO 1 has been implemented and that my chassis number has been inspected and the necessary rectification work has been carried out.

We have now traveled just under 500kms with the Penguin and had no problems. So all is good!

kindest regards
Mike