New Jayco Recall

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Hi,
I WAS about to take delivery of a new Jayco Penguin tomorrow from Bayswater Jayco.

I just got a phone call today warning me that the delivery MAY be delayed since in pre-delivery
that the axle which has to be replaced, perhaps due to a recall.

Does anyone else know about this recall?

kindest regards
NOT HAPPY Mike.

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
All I have been told so far, from the sales coordinator, is that they have to fir a new axle, it maybe due to a recall, and that
they have spent all week trying to get one delivered, and they still don't have got one.

The sales coordinator apparently can't get hold of the pre-delivery manager, and her attempts
to get him to ring me to explain exactly what is going on have been successful.

She is unclear on the exact details other then having been given the unpleasant job to contact me and explain
that there may be a problem with delivery tomorrow at 10am.

My partner gets home at 1pm and we are off to have it out with them.

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Apologies, I should have read my previous post more carefully....

The sales coordinator apparently can't get hold of the pre-delivery manager, and her attempts
to get him to ring me to explain exactly what is going on have """NOT""" been successful.

Reactions: Delano and bigcol

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Have Jayco actually issued a recall for their "jacks" ? Or whatever else they should be called.

Jacks were already on my list to get sorted. I believe that they might be a very serious safety issue
and it seems it is well-known and Jayco should be aware of it. If they choose to do nothing,
then they may be liable for any damages.

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Just off the phone from the pre-delivery manager:

Last week, Alco, acknowledged a batch of axles with a faulty weld to the sub-axle.
On inspecting my van early this week, they identified that the axle was one with a faulty weld
and they ordered a replacement that was due to be delivered by Alco Tuesday afternoon.

This didn't happen, but the dealer assures me that the axle will be delivered this afternoon
and fitted first thing tomorrow morning. The pre-delivery manager assures me that this is a minor
task and will be done in less then two hours and I should be able to pick up the van
as arranged at 10am.

Perhaps I am being paranoid, but I can't help thinking that I will be driving down the road for the
next six months or so, looking to see if one of the van wheels comes off and overtakes me!!

Has anyone had any experiences with sub-axles (I thought the term was stub axles) coming off?

Reactions: dagree and bigcol

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
good luck

have you tried ringing the head office to get info about what the problem may be?
Yes, I rang Jayco head office, they were non-commital, other then to get my details, chassis number, and sales contact at the dealership to funnel the problem and reply through.

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
I have to admit, I would rather they replace the axle before I take delivery. Even though it is so annoying.
I also believe the pre-delivery manager was committed to getting it sorted so there was no delay, but
took the step of alerting me as soon as he thought there might be a problem getting the axle delivered from Alco in time.

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Hi,
I have some questions regarding changing an axle. Perhaps someone has gone through this experience.

When they say change the axle, do they mean replace the whole assembly: axle, bearings, hubs, backing plate, brake linings, electric brake actuators. Or do they just remove all this stuff, replace only the axle and reassemble all the other bits?

In either case, is this really a straightforward task, with a high percentage chance that there will be no flow-on problems
with bearings, seals, wheel alignment, brake adjustments etc? Or should I expect it will be going back continuously with on-going problems related to the axle replacement?

I rang Al-Ko. They had a batch of 30 axles delivered to Jayco where some had faulty welding. By noting the time
of delivery, Jayco determined that they could have only been fitted to, at most, 200 Jayco vans.

To get further information, I was put through to the person handling the recall at Al-Ko, but got a voice message.
He hasn't returned the call.

I am thinking about pursing a longer warranty period from Al-Ko for the replacment axle: say from two years to five, or better still, a lifelong warranty for the original owner. Does this seem unreasonable?

I couldn't find a reference to this problem on the recall website.

Sorry for the rant. I bought a Jayco knowing that there were likely to be some problems that would need to be fixed.
However, I never expected to be having a major mechanical / safety problem, nor having the problem
before I even took delivery. It sure has taken the rosy glow off what was meant to be an exciting purchase
and a pleasant introduction into semi-retirement.

Maybe I am not cut out for caravaning and should stick to the far simpler back packing and car camping we have done
for the past 20 or so years. But we were lent a luxurious 6-berth motor home for 5 weeks to explore the coasts of Brittany and we caught the bug!!! The Penguin was a test case for determining what we would need when we had to invest real money.

regards
Mike

Reactions: bigcol and Delano

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Don't be put off!

You can be very sure they'll be super careful with the axle changeover. Ask them to explain exactly what had to be done and it might be a good idea to document the whole process.

I'm sure it won't come back to bite you but it doesn't hurt to cover yourself.

Easy to advise you to put it out of your mind but try to focus on why you're buying it and the places you can visit and realise most buyers have some some sort of hiccup along the way (ours was a fridge). Your's may just have been a bit ahead of time, and now over with.

o_O

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Don't be put off!

You can be very sure they'll be super careful with the axle changeover. Ask them to explain exactly what had to be done and it might be a good idea to document the whole process.

I'm sure it won't come back to bite you but it doesn't hurt to cover yourself.

Easy to advise you to put it out of your mind but try to focus on why you're buying it and the places you can visit and realise most buyers have some some sort of hiccup along the way (ours was a fridge). Your's may just have been a bit ahead of time, and now over with.

o_O
Hi,

much appreciated. And you are completely right.
I cannot change what has happened. But I can control how I let it effect me.

I like your suggestion to explain exactly what had to be done.
I will also make sure they show me the faulty axle.

Mike

Reactions: Delano

Jamcor

Feb 29, 2016
Qld
Dont be disheartened an axle swap is very easy yes they would probably just change axle reusing bearings brakes etc of original very straight forward nothing to worry about

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
I am thinking about pursing a longer warranty period from Al-Ko for the replacment axle: say from two years to five, or better still, a lifelong warranty for the original owner. Does this seem unreasonable?
Don't think it's unreasonable personally.... All you can do is ask!

Also agree that it's better they pick it up now and sort it out before pick up.... Wouldn't want that weld to fail out the middle of nowhere :oops:

Reactions: bigcol and Delano

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Hi @mikerezny and welcome to the forum. as @Dobbie mentioned dont be disheartened.

Although delivery delays are a pain, its a practical example of Alko's quality assurances and inspection systems.

Things often go pear shaped in every industry, and its the ability to self identify and rectify those issues that gives businesses credibility.

Your unlikely to be able to see anything, and its very unlikely to look like one of my welds :oops:, its likely to have come up in batch x-raying or similar and if they find one fault on one unit they recall the entire batch.

Swapping over an axel is a very routine and extremely simple process, and the dodgy weld on the old replaced axel will have absolutly zero flow effect on either other componentry or the new axel.

Alko obviously have great quality systems in place to pick these things up, and with the quantity Alko would be churning out, 50 dodgy units is a small number, and their ability to identify one of those axels as yours before your van is delivered is pretty impressive.

Your dealer could probably have handled it much better, but thumbs up for Alko from me

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I agree with most of the suggestions

yes, Jayco are know for a few manufacturing faults - but their warranty is 2nd to none

the fact they think one of the few axles may have been fitted to your new Van is - as said - a very good indication that they are honest and up front and quick to rectify what could be a serious booboo
they could have said that there was a problem with shipping - then fixed it - and you would never have known

the Dealer could have / should have better informed you - but then, he may not have known the full details -

once it (the axle) has been replaced - you wont know that there was an issue to start with

I would not sweat it - nore think you have done the wrong thing with buying - swings and round-a-bouts

do the pickup - enjoy your Van - and sleep peacefully at night

Reactions: dagree