Installing new wheel bearings

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Depends on what brake drum/hub is fitted not what the van model is. ALKO drums have a number stamped on them which you can cross reference to see what bearings are fitted to that hub otherwise it's pull the drum off and have a look at the greasy bits, always the better option as then you are positive. I have carried a set of bearings around for years and then found they were the wrong ones.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Mine has 12" ALKO off road drums.
They have big bearings similar to your 4x4 bearings so you should always carry a spare set as they may not be at your garage when you need some unlike the smaller Ford or Holden trailer bearings.
To be sure you buy the correct ones just pull the hub off and rock up to your bearing shop with it, saves finding you have the wrong ones out at Cunnamulla.

Inner Bearing 30210 with cup.
Oil seal TC12631
Outer bearing 15123
Outer Cup 15245
Set you back about $60.

I have pre packed mine wrapped in glad wrap and vac sealed for freshness. Just in case I forget to pack any grease.

Reactions: dagree and skippy

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
@drover: 104568 said:
Mine has 12" ALKO off road drums.
They have big bearings similar to your 4x4 bearings so you should always carry a spare set as they may not be at your garage when you need some unlike the smaller Ford or Holden trailer bearings.
To be sure you buy the correct ones just pull the hub off and rock up to your bearing shop with it, saves finding you have the wrong ones out at Cunnamulla.

Inner Bearing 30210 with cup.
Oil seal TC12631
Outer bearing 15123
Outer Cup 15245
Set you back about $60.

I have pre packed mine wrapped in glad wrap and vac sealed for freshness. Just in case I forget to pack any grease.
Great advice @Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Might be an idea if folks ID their hub ie: 12" ALKO off road or 10" whatever and state what bearing set they have fitted, might help someone who's stuck.
Van model and style has no bearing on what is fitted in the hubs of course. I find it strange that mine had 12" off road hubs with slipper springs on a tour model, (originally that is, it's a hybrid rig now).
Anyway just an idea. PS: to my earlier post don't forget to pack a couple of new split pins.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Might be an idea if folks ID their hub ie: 12" ALKO off road or 10" whatever and state what bearing set they have fitted, might help someone who's stuck.
Van model and style has no bearing on what is fitted in the hubs of course. I find it strange that mine had 12" off road hubs with slipper springs on a tour model, (originally that is, it's a hybrid rig now).
Anyway just an idea. PS: to my earlier post don't forget to pack a couple of new split pins.
Maybe start a thread for that ...

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Depends on what brake drum/hub is fitted not what the van model is. ALKO drums have a number stamped on them which you can cross reference to see what bearings are fitted to that hub otherwise it's pull the drum off and have a look at the greasy bits, always the better option as then you are positive. I have carried a set of bearings around for years and then found they were the wrong ones.

I have the numbers off the brake drum @Drover, any idea where I can find the table that tells me the matching bearings ?

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I've tried to ID numbers off the brake drum but no luck, ALKO doesn't really seem to have much info on numbers for drums or springs and what you do find is not very informative. Thats why it's best to get numbers straight off the bearings themselves, don't have to remove the bearings most times just pull the hub off.