Goodies 2014 Prado GLX Diesel Build Up

The Goodwins

Jan 29, 2014
Wellington Point
www.facebook.com
Well the deal is done......I think.....

With the change to the vehicle salary sacrafice rules a lot has changed in 5 years.

I ended up with the huge wish list above absolutely gutted down to the following

From the old truck;
BFG 75's
ARB Underbonnet compressor
Sandgrabba mats
All the kit off the roof

New on the truck for delivery;
TJM colour coded bar
Airtec Snorkel
Factory Towbar
Redarc Towrite brake controller

I got the vehicle, a GXL, with the kit above for $65K

I was astounded at the price of some of the extras to a point a went back to sourcing the items myself for a 12 to 18 month build up. I came down to the following that I was NOT prepared to pay;

Spotlights supplied and fitted $1100
Full dual Battery system $2000
GME 80 channel radio $700

I can source and have fitted all these items for less than a quarter of the price.

So its dont be lazy take your time. I am still very happy with the price.

The Goodwins

Jan 29, 2014
Wellington Point
www.facebook.com
As a bit of a break down of the new trucks equipment I thought I would go into some of the new trucks toys. Firstly I have, for the first time, gone away from Tekonsha and elected to go for a Redarc Tow Pro.
Towpro.jpg

Redarc says the following;
"A world breakthrough in electronic brake controllers which offers greater safety for motorists towing heavy trailers and caravans will underpin a push into international markets by Australian electronics firm Redarc Electronics.
The new Tow-Pro electronic brake controller offers motorists the choice of engaging either inertia sensing or user controlled braking on trailers through the simple turn of a dial inside the towing vehicle.
It is the first time either mode can be selected through one central unit."

The reviews regarding the Tow Pro indicate that it prevents the surging that is a factor in many different controllers.

I like the fact that the dial is a small unit that I will mount in one of the blanks either to the right of the steering wheel or to the right of the 4H-4L dial.

Apparently you need only drive around 100 metres for the unit to calibrate itself.

All the reviews I have seen to date indicate that it is head and shoulders above the Tekonsha unit I have and have always had.

Lets just wait and see.

Last edited:

The Goodwins

Jan 29, 2014
Wellington Point
www.facebook.com
Bummer TJM busy so delivery date put back to September 1st or 2nd.........on a brighter note the following has been ordered;

AERPRO CBA2T1 477 MHz ANTENNA WITH BARREL SPRING BASE
upload_2014-8-16_14-8-31.jpeg

fitted to a.....
TX3100+AE4012K1_4.jpg

This unit is simple inexpensive and neat. small so it will fit directly into the brake controllers old location without banging my knee.

Being a bit of a neat freak I have decided for the compressor and driving lights on the new truck I am going to go with the following switches
AOBSW901B600.jpg
AOBSW923B600.jpg
I like these units as the fit into the Prado blanks without any cutting or overhang. At $25 each not cheap but will look the part and match the Prado interior lighting.

The Goodwins

Jan 29, 2014
Wellington Point
www.facebook.com
Any considering the next items in the build up.

2 separate units for the low & High beam
Prado lights_high.jpg

Not totally convinced yet as I would need to buy 2 sets for high and low beam. not overly expensive though at $139 per set.

I am also looking at this
$T2eC16dHJGIE9nnWrckQBQQ!715G!g~~60_57.jpg

$(KGrHqUOKi0E0qyt7euzBNeZkvfE0w~~_12.jpg

Aren't build ups fun!!!!!

Reactions: dagree

The Goodwins

Jan 29, 2014
Wellington Point
www.facebook.com
I thought I would give a running tally of costings to give people an idea of the spend.
The costs so far of items fitted on purchase are as follows;

TJM T13 colour coded bar
TJM Airtec Snorkel
Redarc Tow Pro controller
Toyota factory towbar
All installed $3500

All costs include shipping and I will only include items actually purchased;

Light $95
UHF $260

Reactions: Kenshi123

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
hey mate, not sure how you would go with the HID for your headlights, I know over here in Wait Awhile unless they were a factory fitted option, (or replacements cannot be sourced) they are a NO NO with the Dept. of Transport.

I looked at getting some for my Patrol, as the candles sometimes not bright enough, but the grey areas in the wording of the applicable section do not fill me with confidence as to being legal.

just a though..................

yes, I know of a guy on Patrol4x4.com.au who makes and sells them - in Victoria

cheers

Reactions: The Goodwins

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
hmmmmmm
GME do a great radio, (or did do one) - my father brought a GME 14yrs ago - 3 cars later, still going strong
nah, them and Uniden are the only things I would look at anyway, both have very good quality
yes, there is others, but I have only every used the two above

my aerial I picked up from Stupicreap a few years back - only because it came with the 3db and 6db with the spring base
3db good for when in convoy with a group
6db for longer distance or when touring

I have resisted the "urge" to replace my 40 channel for a new 80 channel, but only because I cannot see a reason (yet) to do so

I love the switches and on board air........ one of the many mods I still haven't done as yet

with the Bosses Cruiser - I went for the Piranha dual battery system, as it is fully electronic - matches her car
mine - I run a Red Arc dual battery system

on previous 4x4's I have run
the BIG Black Cole Hersey switch,
Cole Hersee switch.jpg
a simple solenoid,
cole hersee solinoid.jpg
even had one wired in series once, until I noticed it was that way......

nothing is better (or worse) than anything else, just the amount you want to hand over in folding...... and if you can do it yourself, even better-er-er
just make sure you use good quality cable the right size, and (my preference) solder the lugs on as well as crimping, you wont go too far wrong.

although, if your spending THAT much on a new beastie - whats a few extra for piece of mind (hence the Piranha in the Cruiser)

I cheated (?) with my HID's - brought some Cibie Super Oscars and then retro fitted a HID kit off eBay
Cibie Super Oscar.jpg
hid-55w_slim_kit.jpg
$300 for the lights & $95 for the kit (55w / 6000 Lumins) 3 hours of fitting never had a problem with them

I have been seduced by the LED spotlights, but cannot understand the reason for the costs...... so I stick with my SO's.....

loving your build up mate - keep going.........

cheers

Last edited:

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
I too would be a little bit cautious with fitting aftermarket HID's into a standard reflector housing. AFAIK they are not ADR compliant and if your vehicle didn't come with them as a factory option, then they legally can't be retro-fitted. We're only talking low beam here BTW.

To meet ADR's vehicles fitted with HID's must have a self levelling system and headlight washers.

I fitted a set to my old Territory (both low and high beam), high beam was brilliant to the point of not needing any other external lights, but low beam was pretty bad. They lit up the road really well but I couldn't control the beam pattern and was constantly getting flashed as the light spread was all over the place. Went back to halogens pretty quickly after that.

Its pretty easy to spot aftermarket vs factory too.

Reactions: achjimmy

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
Hey @bigcol great to hear from you bit different here in the land of Clive or as we call him...that fat F*%king W*#%er lights will be OK. what are your thoughts on my radio and antennae choice, never had one before and this seemed the best option.

You may want to double check that.
Taken from RACQ website

Queensland legislation
HID headlight conversions are not permitted under Qld legislation. However, it is not clear if other Australian states view the issue in the same way. If you operate in another state you should check requirements in your area.

Note also that Queensland's Dept. Transport and Main Roads (DTMR) advises that there is currently no legislation concerning HID conversion of driving lights.

TTBRIDGE

Mar 12, 2013
Brisbane - Northside (North Lakes)
My 2c on the HID upgrade, For what it is worth. Little differant to others and is viewed from my personal experance.

I fitted the HID high beem upgrade in my last cruiser, would not do it again. At first i thought the light was great, untill you drive on a dark raod where you are always dipping off for oncoming traffic. They are off for long enought to not comeback on strong, and the light needs to warm up again to full strenght.

I found that in conditions where you need to dip often, they are a PITA. Once passing a car you are driving in the dark while waiting for the light to come good. Kind of defets the purpose of good light if it takes a while to come good.

IMO, stay with the factory, and fit HID / LED spotties. This way you have instsnt light on HB and then more light a few seconds latter if you choose HID.

As for Low beam, there was a guy on the LCOOL site that i got mine through from WA. Even he said don't bother. To much hassle and they are to bright. Only a matter of time till you get pulled over for them and you will get the s*%ts with people flicking you.

As i have recently completed a new build with lights, i went HID spotties with factory everything else. But i did get the DRL lighting with is awesome.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
yes @TTBRIDGE I have heard they are not the best when on a dark road, with oncoming traffic.... taking too long to get back to warmth

the cruisers are different to the Patrols, as the Patrol does not have a relay for the headlights
- power from battery to switch to lights
only safest and best (my opinion) option is to run a new harness with Relays for Hi & for Low beam
headlight harness.JPG
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Nissan-P...=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f222ac510

for the cost, much better idea.........

Now @The Goodwins - not much you can do with the new Playdoh for lighting Im afraid
check the wiring harness, and see if it will withstand bigger globes (I hate this bit) maybe 55/110w, low beam still too bright for oncoming traffic, but gives you a better light
or
run a new harness for the headlights with better relays than standard

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
In my Terri, I used the Narva +55 globes in the low beams. They did give a better light output without drawing extra current or creating extra heat (uprated globes with a higher wattage will create extra heat, not good for factory looms and polycarbonate lenses)
IMHO, I'd look at something like these and then go to town with your high beams and spotties, lightbars etc..