Dagree's (David & Greer) 2014 17.56.2OB

meandher (a frost)

Mar 21, 2013
The Vines, WA
If I was keeping a pair of stockings in the glovebox I would be getting some serious questions from the dragon along the lines of infidelity or transvestism. Either of which perhaps would end up with me living in the caravan on my own some place with two farty-arse little dogs for company.( The cat would be in a cray pot somewhere at 8 fathoms.......)

I am with mfexpanda on this one........

Last edited:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
( The cat would be in a cray pot somewhere at 8 fathoms.......)........

Oh thats given me ideas for sure..........our dam is just over a fathom but that enough, the yabbies would like the change from dead chooks............................................back to topic, tried that stockings for a fan belt maybe on a model T it worked but bloody hopeless on on old Holden hate to think what would happen on a modern donk.............but good for snorkels.
Being x military, the stockings are for polishing my boots, my darling.

Reactions: dagree and bigcol

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
5 points for @Drover (my old man used to use them for polishing his boots as well......)

yes many aeon's ago, I used to have a pair as a spare fan belt
(mind you that was back in the day when women used to wear them all the time) as a "proper" one would cost about $20.00 (and when your only earning $150.00 a week, thats a lot to "splurge"

actually, I cannot think of ANY of the Holden Red's I used to own that never at some stage have one as a replacement fan belt... good enough to get home with at any rate

now days, everytime I buy a new car, belts get replaced, and a spare set is kept in the back.......(dont know anyone who still wears stockings you see.......)

Reactions: Drover and dagree

Stephen Galvin

May 20, 2014
Warnbro WA
@dagree hey David do you get a template to mark all the holes with the Snorkel? How does it work out on the inside never had one before. But am going to get one but was quoted $700 for one fitted/ I was kind of nervous about cutting into the car but maybe if it saves some bucks ?

Capt. Gadget

Obsessive & Compulsive Gadget Man
Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
any old bush mechanic will tell you, keep a pair of stockings in the car, as an emergency Fan belt

they also make very handy elastic bands and tie down ropes
Funny Story I really do remember my Old Man using a pair of mums stockings as a fan belt on his 58 Kombi to get us back to Wanneroo from all the way out in Yanchep ! Yeah I know! but Yanchep and Wanneroo were a lot further apart when your'e 7!

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
@dagree hey David do you get a template to mark all the holes with the Snorkel? How does it work out on the inside never had one before. But am going to get one but was quoted $700 for one fitted/ I was kind of nervous about cutting into the car but maybe if it saves some bucks ?

Yes @Stephen Galvin a template is supplied.... Just beware if you get a cheap ebay one or similar triple check the measurements before drilling anything. Fitted a couple for the young son in law and his mate last year and some holes were 10 to 15mm out :o

Reactions: Drover and bigcol

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
Yes @Stephen Galvin a template is supplied.... Just beware if you get a cheap ebay one or similar triple check the measurements before drilling anything. Fitted a couple for the young son in law and his mate last year and some holes were 10 to 15mm out :o

it really is a case of BUYER BEWARE - you always get what you pay for in the end..........

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
After checking the template positions the hard part can be if you have double skin on the inside guards, trying to cut the hole just right can be a scary experience, thankgod for silastic and dremels.
I once used a bandage from a first aid kit to run the compressor on a truck for my brake air so I could get down Camberwarra Mtn, 3 uses out of air, stop put on bandage run up air. Tried driving with it on but didn't work.

Last edited:
Reactions: dagree

Stephen Galvin

May 20, 2014
Warnbro WA
Safari all the way here for me Looks like ARB will do it anyway along with Taipan Exhaust. Getting my Injectors done next Monday and a good going over By a new mechanic Old one is fired!!. See how the new guy goes He owns two 100 series himself so hopefully?......

Reactions: dagree and Drover

JOBSWAN

Nov 3, 2012
Mandurah WA
Safari all the way here for me Looks like ARB will do it anyway along with Taipan Exhaust. Getting my Injectors done next Monday and a good going over By a new mechanic Old one is fired!!. See how the new guy goes He owns two 100 series himself so hopefully?......
We have had quite a bit of work done by ARB here and they have been really good. Can not fault them with anything.

Reactions: dagree

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Had the chance to try the van out in wet weather after getting the skylight resealed and....... ALL's Good :)
Also hooked up the water to check for drips/leaks and ALL's Good as well!!!!

BUT........ No water coming out of the hot water system :o So now to find out which non-return valve was changed and see if it was fitted wrong way around.

Also got home and in the process of reversing into the carport looked up in the side mirror to check position of van and noticed the skylight lid open and hard up against the carport!!!!!!!
Found the pin holding the locking handle missing/fallen out and lid blew open in a gust of wind. Checked it out, repositioned the handle and closed the lid. Looks like no damage done (Fingers crossed).

Got it booked in to get the ESC ordered and fitted so will get them to sort out while in there!

Apart from the above, our wonderful Spring/Winter weather and loose gravel causing some people minor injuries :oops: the WA group get away was a success and looking forward to the next one :encouragement:

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
Had the chance to try the van out in wet weather after getting the skylight resealed and....... ALL's Good :)
Also hooked up the water to check for drips/leaks and ALL's Good as well!!!!

BUT........ No water coming out of the hot water system :o So now to find out which non-return valve was changed and see if it was fitted wrong way around.

Also got home and in the process of reversing into the carport looked up in the side mirror to check position of van and noticed the skylight lid open and hard up against the carport!!!!!!!
Found the pin holding the locking handle missing/fallen out and lid blew open in a gust of wind. Checked it out, repositioned the handle and closed the lid. Looks like no damage done (Fingers crossed).

Got it booked in to get the ESC ordered and fitted so will get them to sort out while in there!

Apart from the above, our wonderful Spring/Winter weather and loose gravel causing some people minor injuries :oops: the WA group get away was a success and looking forward to the next one :encouragement:
I had the small nut that holds the knob to open the sky light above the shower had fallen out and it also blew open when travelling. The drain hole was plugged up so found the nut. Used a spring washer and Duct Tape so now secure.
Don't believe a locking nut or spring washer was ever used so others need to check this as well as it can vibrate loose and fall down the drain hole!