Creating your own wifi whilst camping.

Dean81

Nov 18, 2012
Brisvegas, Qld
www.ausplay.net.au
http://www.seagate.com/au/en/extern...-hard-drives/wireless/wireless-plus/#features

Anyone used or tried one of these yet??

We bought one and used it on the weekend. Very impressed and is great for the kids..
I can now upload up to 1tb of movies (500movies) and kids can use there / iPad or tablet on a app to watch whatever movies I put on there. Which is great for us as we only have small iPads which are only capable of holding limited movies with all the other apps on there..

This is not the internet, unless you want to hotspot it to your phone or similar, this is a personal wifi network that is easy to use.. Our 4 and 2 year old picked it up in minutes. Great on those rainy days and your stuck in doors.

Also powers on 12v / 240 and has a 10 hour battery life.

Reactions: Heidi at

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
They are great. We have a buffalo one picked it up cheap for $70 for a 500gb. Although Buffalo one you need to convert the movies.. Great for the car as well and just plugged it into the TV via USB port. (worked well as our TV Antenna did not >:()
Works off a inbuilt battery so we also left the big kids watching Ben 10 when we finalised the Starcraft purchase kept them quiet :)

Reactions: Dean81

Dean81

Nov 18, 2012
Brisvegas, Qld
www.ausplay.net.au
They are great. We have a buffalo one picked it up cheap for $70 for a 500gb. Although Buffalo one you need to convert the movies.. Great for the car as well and just plugged it into the TV via USB port. (worked well as our TV Antenna did not >:()
Works off a inbuilt battery so we also left the big kids watching Ben 10 when we finalised the Starcraft purchase kept them quiet :)

Cool. This one runs on mp4's and a few other video formats.. Kids used it also in the car on the way home. Maybe I have to many movies and TV shows (dora/peppa etc) but they had a ball picking and choosing what they want..
the other good thing is like you said, when your off the grid with no TV or phone reception this will still work and give you options whilst travelling..

I sore these advertised in the states whilst I was over there. It was the scan disk version, it would of been perfect even travelling on the plane, giving you ease of storage options.

Also the kids can't play with the settings or remove anything.. You have to plug it in to your laptop or desktop to upload your content.

Paul75

Jul 28, 2013
Gippsland, VIC
The only feature of the seagate wireless hard drive I don't like is that when you plug it in to a tv via USB it disables the wifi. So it's on or the other.

Reactions: Holden_man

bigman0510

Apr 9, 2011
Moranbah, Queensland, Australia
moranbahweather.com
I use one of these:
upload_2014-6-13_12-33-51.png

With an external high gain antenna attached to the top of my TV antenna.
And connect all the devices to the ZONET Router/WIFI extender. (EBAY)
upload_2014-6-13_12-35-59.png

The ZONET is the only device that connects to the 4G modem.
I have a ALDI media server that runs on 12v that connects to the ZONET and all devices on the network can stream movies off it.

All these devices run off the battery so we can still have the internet when free camping (required for my work)

Reactions: relgate and Dean81

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
I do like tech stuff like this. But when we are away I have found our kids watch the same old movies. It must be something about the van, but if they are watching TV they are generally watching a re run of something. I find I get by with a few dvds and a Telstra T box with some recorded movies.