Colorado's first test

Drewser

Oct 14, 2013
Cockatoo, Victoria
Just back from the maiden tow trip to Adelaide in the Colorado. Wow what a difference to the 105 petrol/gas landcruiser I used to have, the Adelaide hills were no match for the power this thing has, from the start of the trip which is a very steep hill in the Dandenongs up until I got back home the Colorado didn't miss a beat. The main reason I changed cars was because the Landcruiser just didn't like towing up hills without a big run up, the old 4 speed box would struggle to find the right gear and I could walk faster up the steep hills near my home. I made a good choice. Cruising on the highway was comfortable, not one complaint from wife, two kids in back or myself and we spent long stretches without breaks in the car. Fuel usage averaged about 11.5/100 which includes big hills at both ends and peak hour traffic at both ends too, so extremely happy, probably saved about $300 compared to what the cruiser was costing to run on gas when towing. All in all I can highly recommend the Colorado to anyone looking at a new twin cab but can't justify/afford the price of the competitors.

Dean81

Nov 18, 2012
Brisvegas, Qld
www.ausplay.net.au
They go alright. I've been using mine for towing my van and work for over $40,000 k's now. So far can't fault it. Beefed up the suspension in front too fit the bigger wheels/tyres. It's done some big hauls from brissy to rocky and back with my excavator in toe and didn't miss a beat.

Reactions: Drewser

skippy

Jun 21, 2010
Butler/Perth WA
Mine has not missed a beat and my friend's has done now 80'000kms with his, but he tows 31/2 tone excavator/trailer all day every day around town without any dramas.

If you want value for ya dollar I would definitely recommend a RG Colorado.

Skip

Dean81

Nov 18, 2012
Brisvegas, Qld
www.ausplay.net.au
Yes at the time I did consider the Isuzu / bt50 and the ranger as well. The Colorado was better value when I bought mine and had the higher tow rating. Now I think there all on par. I use Isuzu for work trucks haven't got an issue with them at all.

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
I only noticed yesterday, they are doing an eofy deal, seem to be $2k cheaper than last deal, now with free scheduled servicing for 3 or 4 services and free auto upgrade and 4WD. You have to consider one. What mileage are you Colorado guys getting? I also did think the rear tub is smaller compared to BT50/Ranger. Right or wrong? I am considering one but my wife says, "why are they so cheap"?
@Izzya123 I think you could fit more baseball gear in a Colorado than a Territory;).

Reactions: Izzya123

Izzya123

Mar 18, 2011
Mount Martha, Victoria
I only noticed yesterday, they are doing an eofy deal, seem to be $2k cheaper than last deal, now with free scheduled servicing for 3 or 4 services and free auto upgrade and 4WD. You have to consider one. What mileage are you Colorado guys getting? I also did think the rear tub is smaller compared to BT50/Ranger. Right or wrong? I am considering one but my wife says, "why are they so cheap"?
@Izzya123 I think you could fit more baseball gear in a Colorado than a Territory;).
At the rate I'm going I'll need two Colorados Macca!!

Dean81

Nov 18, 2012
Brisvegas, Qld
www.ausplay.net.au
@macca mine is putting out 700km around town and getting about 400-450 with the van on.. but I'm a lead foot and always do the speed limit, whether that is 100 or a 110km/h (up hills you name it). tub is a good size, I'm in the process of getting a canopy done, plenty of room then,.

Dean81

Nov 18, 2012
Brisvegas, Qld
www.ausplay.net.au
ive had mine for 2 years now and still loving it. just purchased another one last month, which one of the other guy drives.. this has the extra kw and we got the hard lid put on. we got it drive away for $46,000.00 both the LTZ versions with tow bar and tint

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
$38K drive away for a 4WD base model auto is pretty good. $2K more for alloys etc then plus plus but for a new entry level ute seems pretty good.
http://www.holden.com.au/latestoffers/colorado/my14-colorado-lx-4x4-crew-cab-manual-step-up

That's without crunching the numbers with the dealer but it is for abn holders.

My current 2 year old BT50 is doing below 10L/100km with a good load in it and ladder racks. Will a Colorado match that. It is hard to change brand after having a good run with the current car but I am a Holden boy. At least for the moment they have been engineered for here as well!

Reactions: Drewser and Dean81

Drewser

Oct 14, 2013
Cockatoo, Victoria
Mine is getting around 8.6 per hundred and 11.5 towing the 14.44, as far as size i did a comparison of the ranger, BT, amarok, and colorado and the difference between them all is negligible, they all differ in different areas but the biggest difference is around 20mm. The colorado is longer than my old landcruiser and about the same width. As to why are they so cheap, well holden need to move stock, people have been convinced that the opposition are that much better, but in reality a lot of what you get with them is trivial, sure you get a rear locker but with what I saved on the purchase price compared to a ranger,I could install two air lockers, a bull bar and a lift kit. Talk to owners of Colorados and you won't find many who are not happy with their purchase. Even my wife chooses the Collie over her Kluger when they are both in the driveway.

Last edited:

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
www.expandasdownunder.com
@Drewser without in no way wanting to put a downer on this thread, as l'm interested in first hand feedback re Colorado, though wasnt there some press a year or so ago re the chassis cracking in these model utes and Holden were stuck with them.

Could that be why the low price

Drewser

Oct 14, 2013
Cockatoo, Victoria
@Pace I can honestly say that I have not heard one verified report of chassis cracking on Colorado's, I have seen a couple of posts on other forums ie grey nomads, carravanners forum, that go along the lines of a " a mate of a mate told me that the new Colorado chassis is prone to cracking", which then had other non colorado owners jumping on the bandwagon with negative comments. These were all quickly nullified by people who actually do own one. I am in no way a Holden man, in the past I generally owned Fords, with last two vehicles, including wife's current vehicle being Toyotas, all the current twin cabs are good vehicles, none of them are perfect and I genuinely believe the Colorado is a good vehicle and good value for money.

Dean81

Nov 18, 2012
Brisvegas, Qld
www.ausplay.net.au
I'm with @Drewser I'll drive anything if the price is right. I didn't think it was a chassis issue I thought it was to do with front suspension struts, which have been recalled and fixed. But if you want to look at all of them, I'm sure they've been re-called for some thing. My brother has the bt50 my mate has the ranger and we have 2 navaras in our fleet, I can tell you they all had there personal issues and been fixed. One thing I can tell you, they are in no-wAy as helpful as the jayco staff I've dealt with.

Dean81

Nov 18, 2012
Brisvegas, Qld
www.ausplay.net.au
image.jpg
My ute.
image.jpg
My brothers ute.

They all do up nicely.

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Haven't heard the cracking chassis issue in a Holden since the 1970's model Panel vans and Utes;). Even good old cars had issues in cars people think were bullet proof. In 1957 Holden's (FE), the back windows used to pop out while you were driving along. What I am getting at is if there is a problem, they fix it.

Last edited:
Reactions: skippy and Drewser